B1G Expansion and more Conference Realignment

VectorVictor

i get going after tv sets and all, but if those tv sets arent tuned into your football games cause they dont like football, who cares? no money in that...obviously, they have access to better data than me that is telling them a different story....

i told my 13 year old about these 2 teams joining and he says to me..."who's rutgers"?

i get going after tv sets and all, but if those tv sets arent tuned into your football games cause they dont like football, who cares? no money in that...obviously, they have access to better data than me that is telling them a different story....

i told my 13 year old about these 2 teams joining and he says to me..."who's rutgers"?

It doesn't matter if they tune in, the way I hear it told is that they still get to count those households in contract negotiations.

I agree that the end game is Notre Dame, but FSU is not likely at all. UNC or GT or UVA (although there is legislation in Virginia in place which tries to lock them in with VT). Either way I could see things getting pretty interesting. Just a guess but I'd think that Pitt and Boston College are not out of the running either.

I like the idea...

Penn State needed some company and the BIG needed the NYC market... (keep in mind that we (the BIG) have to keep up with the SEC and ESPN payouts.)

also...

Rutgers offers better basketball, better baseball and a young but also upcoming football program. (don't forget that Osborn often recruited that market)

lastly,

Adding Maryland's basketball tradition with the under armour $$$ is another beneficial addition.

As for recruiting, the northeast (mainly, NYC, Baltimore, Philly, DC) is loaded with basketball talent and we (husker's) can't overlook the baseball advantage. Rutgers is a sound baseball program that adds to BIG's rpi...

Honestly, I can't see any negatives to this move. NONE

I like the addition of Rutgers because their attendance has been decent, the program has been doing ok as of late, and it may help us recruiting in an area that has been one of the better spots for us historically. Maryland's attendance has been bad even by ACC standards and they don't seem stable, with one wealthy donor desperately trying to be the Phil Knight of the east coast.

who are the final 2 teams added? Oklahoma? NOPE tied to OSU. Texas? Yeah right. They would demand 95% of the revenue anad tel the rest of the teams to trust them on splitting it up evenly. Kansas? Nope tied to K-state. So all I can see for the final 2 are East somewhere. Would of been great for Oklahoma to enter. Sigh one can only dream. Thoughts, Opinions. Blah blah blah.

Oklahoma and Virginia Tech.

Michigan man. That would be great,but Oklahoma is tied to the hip with Oklahoma St. Same as Kansas and K-State. So it is impossible

Point of order--Kansas is not tethered to Kansas State. As I mentioned earlier, Kansas was already in talks with the Big East and their school Chancellor (or President, I don't recall offhand) came out and said they can move without KSU.

That's why Kansas is a viable expansion target, and Oklahoma isn't, unless you're the PAC-12 and are willing to take Oklahoma's "special" sibling in Stillwater in a four-team deal.

"Nebraska rates better in New York than Rutgers," said one industry source. (per Dennis Dodd)

LOOOL TV Markets

Last I checked, Nebraska is a prominent fixture in the Big 10 and, therefore, will be on the BTN. If you grab even a small percentage of NYC with this, that's still worth the price of admission. Same with tOSU and Michigan.

He'll, if anything, it puts Nebraska in a very good place, media-wise. We, for all intents and purposes, are now an East Coast conference, with all of the access, pitfalls, and benefits that come with it.

Though, I suppose we can't complain about east coast bias anymore...