B1G Expansion and more Conference Realignment

VectorVictor

Every significant person in the state of Missouri associated with the University still loves the idea of Mizzou being in the Big Ten.

Living 30 minutes from Columbia and working with 20+ Mizzou graduates, I can attest to this.

"We don't belong in the SEC."

"Wish we would have got the Big Ten invite."

"People in the SEC are dumb."

They LOVED the home opener against Georgia, got all excited, blew their load, and hated the rest of the season.

• Fire 1

Every significant person in the state of Missouri associated with the University still loves the idea of Mizzou being in the Big Ten.

Living 30 minutes from Columbia and working with 20+ Mizzou graduates, I can attest to this.

"We don't belong in the SEC."

"Wish we would have got the Big Ten invite."

"People in the SEC are dumb."

They LOVED the home opener against Georgia, got all excited, blew their load, and hated the rest of the season.

And now they have a mess on their hands :D

You would know better being close to them but I would think the general fans hate the original perceived Big Ten diss. sounds like they would still jump at the opportunity. very interesting that it wouldn't just be the Mizzou staff, chancellor and Missouri politicians.

So is B1G expansion over and done with for the future, and if not, what institutions are realistic candidates to make it a sixteen school conference?

Depends on who you talk to. Some say the ACC GOR thing is not a signed thing yet so until it is then the ACC schools may still be in play so they are thinking Florida State, North Carolina, Georgia Tech, Virginia etc. Outside of the ACC you are looking at teams in the SEC or Big 12 although they have things in place to prevent teams from leaving in the Big 12 the SEC does not, here they are talking about Kansas, Oklahoma, Texas, Vanderbilt, Missouri etc. Beyond that you have Notre Dame but they just extended with NBC until like 2025 or something so I doubt that would happen unless they had to make a move also they are in with the ACC in all sports other than football. Outside of that you are looking at teams in smaller conferences.

So is B1G expansion over and done with for the future, and if not, what institutions are realistic candidates to make it a sixteen school conference?

There has been much discussion about this on posts above. Sounds like unless there are loopholes in the Grant of Rights contracts, SEC schools or whatever is left of the Big East are the only options for about the next 10 years

AAU+nonGOR=Florida Vanderbilt Missouri and Texas A&M. I don't see Florida or A&M moving to the Big Ten.I don't think the big 10 will take both Vanderbilt and Missouri for 15 and 16 unless they plan on going beyond 16. maybe one of them with a marquee option like Notre Dame or Texas.

AAU+nonGOR=Florida Vanderbilt Missouri and Texas A&M. I don't see Florida or A&M moving to the Big Ten.I don't think the big 10 will take both Vanderbilt and Missouri for 15 and 16 unless they plan on going beyond 16. maybe one of them with a marquee option like Notre Dame or Texas.

Take Missouri and Texas and move Purdue back to the East, perhaps? Opens the fertile recruiting grounds in Texas up a little more. I hate Texas, but I wouldn't mind having them on the schedule if they were made to toe the B1G line. I think the ND ship has sailed for good.

So if we're sticking with 14 teams, does that mean UNC and UVA declined? I would take both of them over maryland and rutgers in a heartbeeat

I would say signing the GOR means they either declined or offer rumors were not true. Remember, when the Big12 put the GOR in place MIssouri didnt sign it and later left for the SEC. Seems like Virginia et. all could have done the same if they had an offer from the Big10 and wanted to go. I guess there is the uncertainty of the $52M exit fee, so not quite the same as the MIssou situation.

I would say signing the GOR means they either declined or offer rumors were not true. Remember, when the Big12 put the GOR in place MIssouri didnt sign it and later left for the SEC. Seems like Virginia et. all could have done the same if they had an offer from the Big10 and wanted to go. I guess there is the uncertainty of the $52M exit fee, so not quite the same as the MIssou situation.

Which is why the ACC decided to drag out the Maryland exit fee issue. It was rumored last week that they had finally reached an agreement between Maryland and the ACC in principle--about the same time an agreement in principle was reached between the remaining ACC members and the GOR. Likely not a coincidence.

There has been much discussion about this on posts above. Sounds like unless there are loopholes in the Grant of Rights contracts, SEC schools or whatever is left of the Big East are the only options for about the next 10 years

St. Paul Husker is 100% correct, though I would add Texass to that list of available candidates--they have enough dirty vermin oil money to pay the lawyers for all of the time it will take to break GORs in court. I sincerely doubt the remaining Big XII members would let Texass go willingly, so if Texass wanted to leave, they would have to either break GORs for everyone, or take enough teams with them that the conference folds.

Then again, Oklahoma's AD did publicly hitch their schooner to Bevo back in 2009 when all of this mess started. Wonder if Oklahoma is content being politically led around by their October whipping boy?

---

As for Virginia, it was all done, save for the official request. Remember, Virginia tried to quietly cancel their future home/home with Penn State, and did so with a handshake and no request for penalty due to breach of contract. You don't do this unless you know you'll be playing them in-conference down the road--neither Virginia or Penn State are in a position to let free breach of contract money slide.

Is it just me, or does it seem like looking to the Rutgers' and Marylands for expansion gets jumped to too much of a conclusion as not being so great?

I look at it from a standpoint that Delaney has a long-term vision. Sure, Rutgers, Maryland, Missouri, and Vanderbilt dont sound like much now, but what could/would they be with a big time conference with big time money behind 'em? What could they develop into? If we're not able to get a big name, we have to start somewhere.

If you can't get big name schools, then why expand more at all? The B1G (Delaney) is behind the steering wheel in this conference realignment thing, and Delaney keeps stomping on the gas pedal.

Becuase it's an inevitable part of life. If Delaney and the Big10 are not going to instagate it and stay ahead of the curve, then he'll be the one falling behind (see ACC, Big East, Big 12). Youre either a leader or a follower. There is no in between. Who knows what Rutgers and Maryland will develop into with the prestige and money of the Big 10 next to their name. It's just my mindset of taking a "wait and see" approach as opposed to throwing it under the bus right off the bat. And lastly, these things are just way too much viewed as a football-only situation when it is actually so much more than that.

The rumor whispers say that it expansion was driven by Fox. The deal was if they were going to invest a lot of dough in things like the BTN then they wanted a larger footprint. I doubt Jim Delaney wanted a 16 team conference before 2009.

As is, it was only partial. Fox got a couple more cities in the tv footprint. The Big10 picked up one good and two mediocre football teams. Now there are 3 conferences with an awkward 14 team structure. It's going to be really interesting to see how stable or not they remain.

I think we, including myself are all forgetting one important topic on the BIG's expansion. While it's fun to talk about the millions of TV money that will come with the expansion into large markets and the addition of new schools in those markets, we are forgetting about the BILLIONS of research money that is involved with being a part of the CIC. Sure it would be great to get a couple more top notch football programs in the BIG like a Florida State or Oklahoma but you also have to consider what schools bring in from the academic side and how bringing them in to the CIC helps the current members. 50 years from now that is most likely all that will be remembered about this, since football will likely be banned by then or reduced to flag football. :o;)

• Fire 1

That is why Johns Hopkins Univ has been mentioned. Univ. of Chicago is part of the CIC but hasnt particiapted in sports since the 1940s, I think it was an original member of trhe Western Conference/ Big 9/Big 10. Since the Big 10 is trying to get some LaCrosse programs going plus the addition of Maryland and Rutgers, JH would participate there and bring in research $$. Doubt this will ever happen either.

I have feeling Delany is pretty dissappointed, and I would not be surprised if Maryland backed out. I suspect 2 more ACC schools were supposed to be on board and it wont happen now, at least for awhile. Has the SEC negotiated a new contract yet? I think the only thing that gets this going again will be Big Ten revenue numbers in 2017 and teh expiration of the Big12 GOR. That was only for 6 years right? And didnt include Long Horn netowrk $$.

Hey ND Joe, I remember awhile back (after NU joined) that Swarbrick and Delany mentioned they had talked about hockey, but not ND joning the Big Ten. Was ND trying to join the Big Ten hockey conference?

Kansas isn't available because the Big XII has a GOR. Again, SEC beaks GOR, and it's the Wild West for everyone in expansion--if no one breaks the GOR, then we're locked into the current conferences for a while.

if you are going to take a program without football you might as well take the other school in kansas that doesnt have a GOR. :lol: