Sam knocks another one out of the park - Bo's secondary analysis

knapplc

so, i guess here at nebraska one could say having early playing time, against lesser opponents maybe, is key for our secondary.

having a good group every single year of returning starters is important. that way we don't have to wait til week 6 to get our secondary cranked up to speed.

who do we have back next year?

mitchell

green

SJB

Seisay

Evans

who else?

and who has gotten good playing time besides them who may be a bit younger?

Charles Jackson

Cooper

Harvey Jackson

But we will have stand out players as well with, Alonzo Moore & Jonathan Rose

And Zaire if he's healthy.

Zaire is a LB.

Thanks for the recommendation! Great read.

My favorite part:

This is why 19-year-old freshman corners — however athletic they are — can’t just skip onto the field.

What? This is my least favorite part. Top-notch athletic talent should not ride the bench because the player can't grasp an overly complex playbook.

so, i guess here at nebraska one could say having early playing time, against lesser opponents maybe, is key for our secondary.

having a good group every single year of returning starters is important. that way we don't have to wait til week 6 to get our secondary cranked up to speed.

who do we have back next year?

mitchell

green

SJB

Seisay

Evans

who else?

and who has gotten good playing time besides them who may be a bit younger?

Charles Jackson

Cooper

Harvey Jackson

But we will have stand out players as well with, Alonzo Moore & Jonathan Rose

Zaire is a LB.

Doh! I was thinking we were listing people with experience. Didn't notice those were all secondary guys.

My favorite part:

This is why 19-year-old freshman corners — however athletic they are — can’t just skip onto the field.

What? This is my least favorite part. Top-notch athletic talent should not ride the bench because the player can't grasp an overly complex playbook.

I would rather them be sat out, take a redshirt, not burn a year of eligibility to learn a complex system, rather than throwing them out to the wolves, blow coverages and ruin their spirits. Just because they were top notch in high school, doesn't mean they will be top notch the second they hit the collegiate level. Its up to the coaches to take them to that next level, and they are doing it the smart way.

• Fire 1

My favorite part:

I would rather them be sat out, take a redshirt, not burn a year of eligibility to learn a complex system, rather than throwing them out to the wolves, blow coverages and ruin their spirits. Just because they were top notch in high school, doesn't mean they will be top notch the second they hit the collegiate level. Its up to the coaches to take them to that next level, and they are doing it the smart way.

Agreed.

I would have thrown him in if we were talking about LB's :P

On that note though, Anderson, Santos, Afalava, Gangwish, Brown, Pirman, Roach and Rose should be ready for a great LB crew next year. Talk about depth.

Banderas, Newby, Love! Also....IIRC there is a possibility Fisher could in some way gain another year of eligibility...

My favorite part:

Have you seen our pass defense stats? So you want us to dumb down our secondary schemes? Really?

My favorite part:

Have you seen our pass defense stats? So you want us to dumb down our secondary schemes? Really?

Yes, because freshmen playing is demanded by every fan who follows recruiting. The next new hot recruit on campus should always be on the field no matter what.

• Fire 1

My favorite part:

Athletic talent only gets you so far if you don't understand how to do your job properly. You can't just throw a blazing fast freshman out onto the field and expect him to play like Deion Sanders all night.

The "overly complex" scheme that our defense runs is why it works. Our DBs aren't just playing man coverage or sitting back in the same old cover 2 scheme all night, so opposing quarterbacks have a much more difficult time reading it. That leads to incompletions and, more importantly, more opportunities for interceptions. That is, if the guys out on the field understand how to run it.

My favorite part:

If we're amongst the top pass defenses nearly every year, I'm not going to complain too much about it.

I haven't read the article yet, but I liked what Bo said about his secondary players in the NFL when a reporter asked how what they're taught here translates to defenses they might run in the NFL. Bo basically said there isn't a defensive scheme in the NFL his guys won't have a background in. (paraphrasing of course)