Beck telegraphing Imani Cross short-yardage runs

Maxconvert

Overall good win and good offensive play-calling by Beck, but I was a little puzzled why he telegraphed the power play with backside pulling guard with Imani Cross so much. On the 3rd and 1 play on the series right after the "no-touchdown" TD controversy, even the announcers were all over it when they saw Cross lineup in the I-formation. Would have loved to see Beck pull a switcheroo there and do a quick fullback dive since PSU was obviously expecting the play. But overall the second half was pretty well-managed by Beck, and it was good to see him establish a rhythm with Ameer and the O-line.

All game I was expecting a play action pass off of that set. It never came, but I bet Beck has one in his pocket.

That would be the perfect play. Line up with Jano and Cross, fake and hit a middle screen or Martinez on a naked bootleg around the edge. Would like to think Beck was "putting this on film" for future use, but he has not shown me he is really that experienced to think that far ahead. Improving, but that whole sweep play was awesome about 5 minutes into the 1st and then started ticking me off!

I don't know why you would even think to criticize this. It's old-school Nebraska mentality. We're going to line up, essentially tell you where we are going to run it, and see if you can stop it.

We won 2 out of 3, and the 2 that we won were the most important because they were TDs. The one that we lost, it just appeared that the O-Line didn't get a great push. The previous 2 times, we knocked them on their @sses. I also didn't agree with the spot of the ball on that one.

Oh well. We won, and Beck called a great 2nd half.

GBR!!!

Where is everyone saying Beck doesn't stick with something that is working?? You can't have it both ways. If you stick with something that's working, you run it until they stop it. Also, make sure to keep the thread spiffy, since they're apparently being locked if they annoy mods now. I'm sure we have some anti-annoyance ointment around here somewhere.

I'm sold on him being our short-yardage back now. He ran too "upright" earlier in the season, and was too tentative. Today he stayed low and ran downhill, hard.

I don't think anyone can accuse Beck of "going away from what works" today. :lol:

But we saw what happens when we stick with what's working, the other team figures out how to stop it. I'll be really surprised if we don't see PA out of that at some point.

Overall good win and good offensive play-calling by Beck, but I was a little puzzled why he telegraphed the power play with backside pulling guard with Imani Cross so much. On the 3rd and 1 play on the series right after the "no-touchdown" TD controversy, even the announcers were all over it when they saw Cross lineup in the I-formation. Would have loved to see Beck pull a switcheroo there and do a quick fullback dive since PSU was obviously expecting the play. But overall the second half was pretty well-managed by Beck, and it was good to see him establish a rhythm with Ameer and the O-line.

Kinda like Blake Bell at OU

All game I was expecting a play action pass off of that set. It never came, but I bet Beck has one in his pocket.

I think he was setting this up well for later on down the road as the season winds down. I do agree with the OP though in that I thought for sure that second time we'd see a handoff to the FB. No biggie................Imani is a BEAST!

My point was when we went for it in the 4th IIRC, and it was 3rd and 1. PSU knew it was coming and stopped it. When they saw Cross, they knew it would be the dive play. I would have loved to have seen play action, you know, fake the ball to Cross so that the D collapses at the line, Martinez pulls out the ball and hits a dump pass to the TE dragging the middle. The play did work, on the goal line, and was a thing of beauty. Just hope that Beck opens the playbook more with Cross and uses the obvious to create some TD's dow the road.