scheme on defense

HANC

it just looked like our D was fooled so many times on misdirection. Was Eric Martin there??? No one filled any gaps tonight at all.

Not only were they fooled, they also looked like fools with all the last-second signaling to each other, and jumping around, and trying to line up their neighbor. Looked like a freakin circus. Is that top-notch defensive coaching?

We've been doing this nonsense all year where we try to line up last second...and we think this is great coaching and defensive alignment? Well, Wisky exploited this crap against us...they made formation shifts which caused us to mis-comunnicate and got us all panicked...then they just ran simple plays and were downfield before we even knew what happened. Completely outcoached.

Our defense has been bad for awhile. Does not TFL, patty-cake DL, does not create turnovers, does not play downhill but gets run over as we are on our heels, takes wrong angles, cannot tackle, coaches cannot adjust (jet sweep anyone?). We cannot defend the run. We have some decent cover people but the run defense sucks and that's why a run heavy Wisky let their inexperienced QB just hand the ball off all night and it was game over. Damn, we need a boatload of those DT's we are recruiting.

This is what bothers me about Bo. How the hell did we get to this point under a defensive guru/genius? The reason I liked his hire initially was because I did not want to ever see these types of blowout losses again. Something is off big-time.

I don't understand the play in the defensive backfield paired with the lack of agressiveness front seven. We seem to have excellent coverage in the secondary but not have pressure in the backfield. I'm not even talking about pressure on the quarterback. For example, I'm not sure why there is no one in the backfield AT ALL when you do a thow back to the quarterback. Why do we not have ANYONE in the backfield EVER. Wisky could do any trick play they wanted because we don't put pressure in the backfield to essentially blow up the play. With our cover corners, pressuring the quarterback into a bad decision should be the bread and butter of the defense. Why don't we ever pressure the edges with the defensive ends? They line up inside the tackles? I'm dumbfounded by this defense. Isn't the most basic responsibilty to contain the edge and force the offense back into the middle???

This is something that has baffled me for years. I was always taught that the first move a defensive end should make is up field. They either end up rushing the qb in pass plays or disrupt and turn back inside running plays to his side.

Our ends first move us top pinch down on the line. This makes him late to adjust to any outside run to his side.

This has been going on for years so i question bo for this.

Think about this game and osu. We got beat repeatedly on the out side.

It makes no sense.

We rarely stunt with our DL. We rarely bring pressure outside of our front 4. We also crowd the line and don't hold contain. Last night we crowded the line so bad that there wasn't much of a 2nd level so if the backs broke the first line, and they did, they had a good chance to get gone. We missed some tackles and looked out of place all night. Whenever I watch SEC teams play it seems they have 14-15 guys on the field and when I watch our D, we seem to have 8 or 9. Our D doesn't seem to have levels or gap assignments. It seems to be a lot of guessing.

Cardinal rule of D that I learned in 3rd grade. Don't let the O get the edge, don't get burned deep. no one behind the secondary and turn the runner back towards pursuit. Amateur hour last night. Still shaking my head in disbelief.

Lack of fundamentals.......Major coaching issue..........Defense looked so confused out there and the same plays worked all night for Wiscy..... It looked like NO adjustments were being made by our coaching staff...... Like a bad scene in a movie being played over and over again.

I don't understand the play in the defensive backfield paired with the lack of agressiveness front seven. We seem to have excellent coverage in the secondary but not have pressure in the backfield. I'm not even talking about pressure on the quarterback. For example, I'm not sure why there is no one in the backfield AT ALL when you do a thow back to the quarterback. Why do we not have ANYONE in the backfield EVER. Wisky could do any trick play they wanted because we don't put pressure in the backfield to essentially blow up the play. With our cover corners, pressuring the quarterback into a bad decision should be the bread and butter of the defense. Why don't we ever pressure the edges with the defensive ends? They line up inside the tackles? I'm dumbfounded by this defense. Isn't the most basic responsibilty to contain the edge and force the offense back into the middle???

This has been the case all year.

A lot of the first contact and a good chunk of the tackles were in the secondary. The LB group was non existent. No one, on either side of the line contained the edge. They didn't have to pass to score 70. I understand they did pass, but the didn't need to.

At times, this D seems to rely on big time safety play. Osborne goes to his knees nearly everytime he is trying to tackle. I could write a paragraph about Stafford. He was finally exposed for the type of player I have said he was all year. Bad. He doesn't help the corners over the top because he always a step or two behind. I have never seen a more pathetic display of 'angles' and tackling then what he put together in the CCG. It was consistent for 4 quarters. He is out of his league.

The reason I liked his hire initially was because I did not want to ever see these types of blowout losses again.

There it is. We all thought that we'd always have a good to great defense more often than not. Seeing players out of position or getting completely blown off the ball is a systemic issue. It's no longer an isolated problem. Pelini was brought in based on his ability to improve a defense. We have been blown out twice in high profile games, playing in a conference where every team is mediocre and games are known to be low-scoring, vanilla, and uneventful in general.

If he can't coach defense, why in hell is he here?

This is something that has baffled me for years. I was always taught that the first move a defensive end should make is up field. They either end up rushing the qb in pass plays or disrupt and turn back inside running plays to his side.

Our ends first move us top pinch down on the line. This makes him late to adjust to any outside run to his side.

This has been going on for years so i question bo for this.

Think about this game and osu. We got beat repeatedly on the out side.

It makes no sense.

It's unbelievable how poorly prepared and coached we were last night. Other than a few trick plays they ran the same basic plays against OSU and PSU. I'm no defensive genius but have watched most or parts of enough WI games and I knew what play they were going to run before the snap. If our scout team had a minimum of talent it should have been obvious in practice that our defense was not going to work. Our lack of size at DT probably hurt us in making a similar adjustment to put out DE out wider as PSU did. We don't have a Jordon Hill. If I recall correctly OSU defended the sweep better by having their corner get off the block by the WR and slowing it down or making the tackle outright. Most of this has to fall on coaching for not getting the team prepared and not making any kind of adjustments but part of the problem is the talent and ability of the players that they have to work with. Mostly a coaching problem.

One thing I've noticed with this team is that when the defense is playing bad there is no chance that the offense will save the day.

I have no idea whether or not this is accurate, but here's my thoughts.

I think we pulled a 2009 Arizona. They went into the Holiday Bowl game confident in the assumption that our offense was what they had seen for most of that season - run the football, run it some more, punt it away, and let the defense win the game. They never even thought for one second that we were turning our offense off on purpose, and decided to turn it back on for the bowl game and they were totally caught with their pants down.

I think we did something similar. Wisconsin had known for weeks that they were going to be playing in Indy...that gives a distinct competitive advantage to fool your opponent into false confidence in what to prepare for.

Do you think that they held back this offense until the CCG? They averaged 19 pts a game on offense in the 3 games (out of 4) that they lost at the end of the season. Not to mention ALL overtime games, with more time to score. I have a difficult time believing that Wisky's coaching staff had that much foresight to think they were going to play in the CCG, so they tanked the end of the season for one shot at the Rose Bowl. I'll give you the swinging gate (which of course worked) and the qb throwback pass were probably held back for the bright lights, but the rest was finding a weakness and exploiting it.

My guess is they put in the UCLA game. Watched us consistently get KILLED in space and on the edge and thought, "Why don't we try that?" If we don't see a heavy dose of that in the bowl game, I would be astonished. If we do see it, I have no faith that we will do the things to rectify the problem.