Terry Joseph....Alabama

I cant find this info anywhere before you all start freaking lets see an article with this info in it.

have you ever seen a article discussing coaching change come out that doesn't start with "such and such had named whoever as the new whatever position coach" -- sorry, but you aren't going to find articles with Saban quotes talking about his desire to hire Joseph. the article you're looking for will be to confirm it's already happened, or there won't be an article at all.

Not looking for a quote but had to of heard it from some where! Hell anyone can say anyone has gotten an offer from anyone with out some source then its all Crap to me. We saw all kinds of things article's about Terry being a candidate here at Nebraska before he was hired. There is alway's beat writers that have the in and know who the coaches are looking at and I cant find one thing saying he is looking at anyone so how in the hell does he know that his name has been mentioned. Hell I think I will start a thread every day saying that one of our Coaches is a candidate for a new job.

I cant find this info anywhere before you all start freaking lets see an article with this info in it.

have you ever seen a article discussing coaching change come out that doesn't start with "such and such had named whoever as the new whatever position coach" -- sorry, but you aren't going to find articles with Saban quotes talking about his desire to hire Joseph. the article you're looking for will be to confirm it's already happened, or there won't be an article at all.

Not looking for a quote but had to of heard it from some where! Hell anyone can say anyone has gotten an offer from anyone with out some source then its all Crap to me. We saw all kinds of things article's about Terry being a candidate here at Nebraska before he was hired. There is alway's beat writers that have the in and know who the coaches are looking at and I cant find one thing saying he is looking at anyone so how in the hell does he know that his name has been mentioned. Hell I think I will start a thread every day saying that one of our Coaches is a candidate for a new job.

This was started in the rumors thread, so im not sure why your looking for a source on this. Its just in the beginning stages, if there was an article that i could actually post thats free to read, i would have posted it in the husker football forum.

http://alabama.247sp...uitt-15032071/1

you wont be able to read the comments, but you should be able to see his bio posted because they are talking about him. Not the only place its being reported but it should give you an idea its not pulled out of thin air.

I used the word rumor because i never saw am official report on it so I'm not comfortable spreading the story. But...i have no reason to doubt the story.

At the time, the "rumor" I heard was pretty reasonable for his firing. And, it was a pretty believable rumor. Nothing necessarily to do with his job other than it was a situation that is not in line with the ethics we want in our coaching staff.

Sanders will not be back at Nebraska. Very sad because he seemed to be very good at what he did and the kids seemed to like him.

However, I think TJ is just as good and coaches a very similar type of DB play. Bo just needs to keep TJ.

Yes, it was pretty strong for just being labeled a "rumor". It also had decent legs and multiple sources.

Now with a new A.D. and the passage of time, perhaps some things would be different, but my guess it that we will not see Sanders back in Lincoln. And that's a shame because he is a great coach.

Exactly where I am at with this. No need to dredge it up again and there was no "official" report. I was only differentiating on the term "rumor" (although I guess I don't know what label to use to replace it).

Seemed like more to it than the garden variety rumor, but I have no desire to drag his name through it again, and we both seem to agree he won't be coming back. End of story.

This was started in the rumors thread, so im not sure why your looking for a source on this. Its just in the beginning stages, if there was an article that i could actually post thats free to read, i would have posted it in the husker football forum.

http://alabama.247sp...uitt-15032071/1

you wont be able to read the comments, but you should be able to see his bio posted because they are talking about him. Not the only place its being reported but it should give you an idea its not pulled out of thin air.

Thank you that is what I was looking for.

Here we are talking about the ethics of coaching at Nebraska, and in the same thread our solution to becoming elite is throwing more money at a situation.

Well....I held off for a few hours, but I just couldn't maintain.

This is one of those classic posts you put out there with relative regularity: A lofty, morally rooted reprisal that's resonating with self-righteousness.

I bet you're still in your early twenties or so. You sound like it...got all the answers. And those answers are delivered in a voice that's often just saturated in self-satisfaction. Actually cracks me up, 'cause I remember my own days of strutting around like Napoleon very well. I see it so readily in you because I was the same way. Self-assured, prone to speaking with the arrogance that's irreversibly woven into absolute declarations. You tack on moral points though, which I must admit I did not do.

And man, there are few things more insufferable than the person who feels absolutely certain they are qualified to act as a moral authority.

Not trying to actively go after you...but I kinda am, a little. You get on your high horse a little too much for me. I've ignored it for quite a while, but I think I'm done doing that. You'll read this and get pissed, but I'm actually offering you the advice of someone who can relate. Because I used to do some of the same stuff. And after a while I realized how unbearably obnoxious that is.

I'm just suggesting you consider deflating the ego balloon a touch. It's getting to be a little much.

• Fire 3

Here we are talking about the ethics of coaching at Nebraska, and in the same thread our solution to becoming elite is throwing more money at a situation.

Well....I held off for a few hours, but I just couldn't maintain.

This is one of those classic posts you put out there with relative regularity: A lofty, morally rooted reprisal that's resonating with self-righteousness.

I bet you're still in your early twenties or so. You sound like it...got all the answers. And those answers are delivered in a voice that's often just saturated in self-satisfaction. Actually cracks me up, 'cause I remember my own days of strutting around like Napoleon very well. I see it so readily in you because I was the same way. Self-assured, prone to speaking with the arrogance that's irreversibly woven into absolute declarations. You tack on moral points though, which I must admit I did not do.

And man, there are few things more insufferable than the person who feels absolutely certain they are qualified to act as a moral authority.

Not trying to actively go after you...but I kinda am, a little. You get on your high horse a little too much for me. I've ignored it for quite a while, but I think I'm done doing that. You'll read this and get pissed, but I'm actually offering you the advice of someone who can relate. Because I used to do some of the same stuff. And after a while I realized how unbearably obnoxious that is.

I'm just suggesting you consider deflating the ego balloon a touch. It's getting to be a little much.

Point well taken. I don't know what the answer is...and yeah, I suppose it was a bit of a stretch connecting those two points, the only thing I'm convinced of is that more money is not the solution to the problems our program is facing. I have found myself pretty irritable and impatient on this board for a while now, and have seen that the two most common threads being weaved through any topics about coaching over the last few months eventually come down to two main points - winning football games and spending a lot of money. I submit that neither is as close to important as we think.

I could probably be a lot more gracious in the way I respond to these things. I have heavy convictions but as you've pointed out, I often need to realize those convictions are not my own and I'm no authority on them. Praise God for people like yourself, Nebula, who aren't scared to bring me down a few notches ;)

That being said, I still think "more money" is not a solution we want to commit ourselves to. I don't suppose Tom or Bo do either.

• Fire 3

I think that as great success as Tom has had here for so long and all the things he exemplifies -- a lot of Nebraska fans identify with that uniqueness, that 'Nebraska Way.' I just don't feel there are any moral considerations to how Bo handles the staff hiring policies and nor is it a social commentary on his part. He wants very badly to win, but he wants to do it with people he knows and trusts and is comfortable with.

On the opposite side of that there are people who feel we don't open up the pocketbook enough. That isn't an issue either. The pocketbook is/was/has been available to Bo, I think, if he wanted to take that option. It's a personnel decision on his part and should be evaluated as such. I.e., is Bo hiring too many in-house/familiar faces with little experience? I think we can point to Terry Joseph and Rich Kaczenski and say that isn't really the case, at least not lately.

If anything, Bo is extending opportunities to young GAs because that's how coaches rise up through the ranks. I'm not sure if it was this thread or another where I mentioned this, but as Sam McKewon says, that's admirable -- but we're not running a graduate school for football coaches here. It can get taken to an extreme. I wouldn't say it has been....but I admit I'm trying to be non-critical there.

Point well taken. I don't know what the answer is...and yeah, I suppose it was a bit of a stretch connecting those two points, the only thing I'm convinced of is that more money is not the solution to the problems our program is facing. I have found myself pretty irritable and impatient on this board for a while now, and have seen that the two most common threads being weaved through any topics about coaching over the last few months eventually come down to two main points - winning football games and spending a lot of money. I submit that neither is as close to important as we think.

I could probably be a lot more gracious in the way I respond to these things. I have heavy convictions but as you've pointed out, I often need to realize those convictions are not my own and I'm no authority on them. Praise God for people like yourself, Nebula, who aren't scared to bring me down a few notches ;)

That being said, I still think "more money" is not a solution we want to commit ourselves to. I don't suppose Tom or Bo do either.

Man, I've needed that so many times in my life. I can't articulate how much respect I have for you for this response. Shows a helluva lot of depth of character. When I was your age, my rebuttal would've almost certainly been vitriolic and totally lacking in self honesty. Just would've lashed out, probably. You've got about a decade head start in life on me in terms of having the character it takes to turn awareness of your own flaws into lessons for wisdom and self-improvement. I'm really impressed. :cheers

Joseph is making 230k with a max bonus of 67k.

Jimmy Pruitt (Alabama secondary coach) is making 260k with a max bonus (which they usually get at Alabama) of 52k.

We are sitting at 19th, with a total staff compensation of $4.835 million. That puts us below Virginia Tech, Arizona State, Washington, Iowa, Oklahoma State, etc.

Alabama has a total staff compensation of $9.3 million. Texas almost 9.3. LSU almost 8. Oklahoma 7.56. The problem isn't our headcoach pay, its our assistant pay...specifically the coordinators. And that's a direct result of the quality of coordinators Bo chose to hire.

Or the fact they don't have a very impressive resume until they reach here.

But you have to at least be able to understand where people are coming from right?

(total pay rankings/AP rankings - and you know Notre Dame is somewhere in the top here as well...just not reported)

1/2 - Alabama

2/NR - Texas

3/9 - LSU

4/3 - Ohio State

5/12 - Oklahoma

6/NR - Auburn

7/5 - Oregon

8/NR - Oklahoma State

9/14 - Clemson

10/11 - South Carolina

11/19 - Michigan

12/NR - Iowa

13/13 - Florida State

14/6 - Georgia

15/4 - Florida

16/NR - Washington

17/10 - A&M

18/NR - Missouri

19/23 - Nebraska

20/NR - Arizona State

21/NR - Tennessee (this will change)

22/NR - West Viginia

23/NR - Mississippi State

24/NR - Virginia

25/NR - California

The only schools ranked in the top 10 that are not on this list are KSU (who just missed the top 25) / Stanford (who doesn't have to report but is likely in there as well). Pay certainly isn't going to solve all of our problems - but there's no denying that it's a vital component to a successful program in today's world. If we want to pay at 50% of Alabama fine - but that means we are going to have to overcome that gap in other ways. Recruiting? HAHAHA. So where else is it going to be? Where has Bo set our program apart? What's unique about Nebraska?

I've said this before - Nebraska in the 80s/90s was a distinct program that had an identity - a unique and innovative way of doing things. From the psychology aspect, to the roster, to the facilities, to the offense. We were different. Today, we are much like any other program. We copy others, and then fail to execute on it. Our facilities don't stand out. Our identify has been dramatically altered. And at the end of the day, we are closer to Iowa than we are to Alabama/Ohio State. If we want to reach that elite level, we can't take the same path Alabama does, or Ohio State does. We have to be innovative. But we can't lose ground in talent on the sideline while we develop whatever that is. This is one area where I really question Bo's abilities. Can he separate Nebraska from the rest of the pack, and produce a winning product? There is just no way it can be the same as the Ohio State's, we won't win that battle if we try.

I am very very seldom on the side of throwing money at all of our problems. But, it is true that the top talent is going to gravitate to where the top money is. Coaching is the epitome of "what have you done for me lately". Just watch these boards. The first reaction to something bad from many fans is always....."You gotta fire that coach". When you live in a world where your longevity in a job might be only a year or two, big money speaks volumes. You are going to go where you can get the most you can in a short time and have the ability to move up the coaching ranks.

Just look at our staff and the fan's attitude. So many fans want Barney fired and they want a top OL coach that is proven to be brought in. Well....if you want that, what is going to draw that coach away from where ever they are to come to Nebraska instead of going to a place that has a higher pay scale? A lot of schools have tradition. A lot of schools have talented players. A lot of schools play for championships of one kind or another. Some might say loyalty of the fans....really?? Nebraska has just as much of a "throw the bums out" attitude as anyone else.

What it boils down to with many of these guys is two things. Pay and the ability to showcase their abilities. And, Pay is a huge part in it.