Terry Joseph....Alabama

Point well taken. I don't know what the answer is...and yeah, I suppose it was a bit of a stretch connecting those two points, the only thing I'm convinced of is that more money is not the solution to the problems our program is facing. I have found myself pretty irritable and impatient on this board for a while now, and have seen that the two most common threads being weaved through any topics about coaching over the last few months eventually come down to two main points - winning football games and spending a lot of money. I submit that neither is as close to important as we think.

I could probably be a lot more gracious in the way I respond to these things. I have heavy convictions but as you've pointed out, I often need to realize those convictions are not my own and I'm no authority on them. Praise God for people like yourself, Nebula, who aren't scared to bring me down a few notches ;)

That being said, I still think "more money" is not a solution we want to commit ourselves to. I don't suppose Tom or Bo do either.

Man, I've needed that so many times in my life. I can't articulate how much respect I have for you for this response. Shows a helluva lot of depth of character. When I was your age, my rebuttal would've almost certainly been vitriolic and totally lacking in self honesty. Just would've lashed out, probably. You've got about a decade head start in life on me in terms of having the character it takes to turn awareness of your own flaws into lessons for wisdom and self-improvement. I'm really impressed. :cheers

WELL DONE!! Hat's off to you two. I'll alert the press that we have at least two gentlemen posting on this board. Very good!!!!!

Hate to bring bad news but Terry Joseph is being mentioned as a candidate to be DB coach at Alabama. This would not be good.

Pay this man his money, gotta keep him here.

">> Pelini said that Alabama has not requested his permission to talk to NU defensive backs coach Terry Joseph. Joseph has been rumored to be a candidate for the Crimson Tide’s secondary job."

http://sports.omaha.com/2012/12/20/practice-report-1220-bo-on-break-juco-recruiting-armstrongs-rehab/

So far...just rumor?

So where else is it going to be? Where has Bo set our program apart? What's unique about Nebraska?

I've said this before - Nebraska in the 80s/90s was a distinct program that had an identity - a unique and innovative way of doing things. From the psychology aspect, to the roster, to the facilities, to the offense. We were different. Today, we are much like any other program. We copy others, and then fail to execute on it. Our facilities don't stand out.

But what you have to realize is that Nebraska set the standard in TO's days for what a great strength and conditioning program looks like. He also ran practices in a unique and efficient way. Today, everyone else in the nation has advanced and caught up in the strength and conditioning area. Nebraska still has some of the best facilities in the nation, and there has continually been commitment to keeping it that way. Not only in football but other sports as well.

To me, where Bo's team stands out as different than other programs/coaches is the family atmosphere. That's the thing that so many of the recruits and their parents comment on when they speak with Bo or his assistants. They continually say that he is a down-to-earth guy, he tells every recruit that they won't have any promises, but they have an opportunity to play early if they earn it.

The reason that we aren't necessarily blowing recruiting out of the water is because this is Nebraska. When you talk to people in the south, west, or east, they view Nebraska as a big corn field with a university in the middle. That's partly true, but a lot of big city kids refuse to even consider us because of that perception. Or they say it's too cold here. It's just difficult to make a splash in recruiting at Nebraska, whether you choose to believe it or not. With that said, I am more than pleased with last year's class already, and most of those kids haven't seen the field yet. And I have a feeling that this year's class will be the best one Bo has had since he has been here.

Sorry, but the bolded part is total bs. It's hard to recruit here because Bo is choosing not to recruit during the seasons just like Frank did. It got Frank fired and it will eventually get Bo fired. You get the kids to change their mind by getting them here during the season and showing them that there is more here than a "big corn field." A good example was last year Bo only used 25 of the 55 official visits he was allowed, there is no excuse for that. And unless Bo starts to take recruiting seriously year round, he and the program will not be any better than they are now and that is a second tier B1G program.

This years class is nothing special and if Bo doesn't have a big finish, then it will be a poor class with all of the spots remaining and with all of the strikeouts he's had since the embarrassment in Indy. We all know that Bo is not a dumb man and can coach, but if you don't get the players here to compete at this level, then it doesn't matter how good your schemes are, the better athletes will win. Nebraska fans need to get over the "feelgood" stories of the walk on program because walk on's don't win championships.

So where else is it going to be? Where has Bo set our program apart? What's unique about Nebraska?

I've said this before - Nebraska in the 80s/90s was a distinct program that had an identity - a unique and innovative way of doing things. From the psychology aspect, to the roster, to the facilities, to the offense. We were different. Today, we are much like any other program. We copy others, and then fail to execute on it. Our facilities don't stand out.

But what you have to realize is that Nebraska set the standard in TO's days for what a great strength and conditioning program looks like. He also ran practices in a unique and efficient way. Today, everyone else in the nation has advanced and caught up in the strength and conditioning area. Nebraska still has some of the best facilities in the nation, and there has continually been commitment to keeping it that way. Not only in football but other sports as well.

To me, where Bo's team stands out as different than other programs/coaches is the family atmosphere. That's the thing that so many of the recruits and their parents comment on when they speak with Bo or his assistants. They continually say that he is a down-to-earth guy, he tells every recruit that they won't have any promises, but they have an opportunity to play early if they earn it.

The reason that we aren't necessarily blowing recruiting out of the water is because this is Nebraska. When you talk to people in the south, west, or east, they view Nebraska as a big corn field with a university in the middle. That's partly true, but a lot of big city kids refuse to even consider us because of that perception. Or they say it's too cold here. It's just difficult to make a splash in recruiting at Nebraska, whether you choose to believe it or not. With that said, I am more than pleased with last year's class already, and most of those kids haven't seen the field yet. And I have a feeling that this year's class will be the best one Bo has had since he has been here.

Sorry, but the bolded part is total bs. It's hard to recruit here because Bo is choosing not to recruit during the seasons just like Frank did. It got Frank fired and it will eventually get Bo fired. You get the kids to change their mind by getting them here during the season and showing them that there is more here than a "big corn field." A good example was last year Bo only used 25 of the 55 official visits he was allowed, there is no excuse for that. And unless Bo starts to take recruiting seriously year round, he and the program will not be any better than they are now and that is a second tier B1G program.

This years class is nothing special and if Bo doesn't have a big finish, then it will be a poor class with all of the spots remaining and with all of the strikeouts he's had since the embarrassment in Indy. We all know that Bo is not a dumb man and can coach, but if you don't get the players here to compete at this level, then it doesn't matter how good your schemes are, the better athletes will win. Nebraska fans need to get over the "feelgood" stories of the walk on program because walk on's don't win championships.

3 walk-ons starting on the OL does not get you championships. Name me a team that has that many starting. Not on the team, but in one friggin spot ie OL. This shows a glaring lack of development or a complete bust in recruiting as we have 20+ OL on scholarship.

I agree 100% with your above post.

We have a great recruiting forum here with great player by player breakdowns. You drastically need to read it. Here are some half truths and inaccuracies I will point out off the top of my head.

1) 29 OVs were used in 2011. What you chose to leave out is we took 17? guys. We were planning on having a small class from the get go.

2) There are several examples of assistant coaches and even our head football coach taking time away from the team to go recruiting during the year. The driveby recruiting follower doesn't understand it because he sees no commitments.

3) I'll leave the second tier Big Ten comment alone and make it strictly about recruiting.

4) Again the driveby recruiting fan calls Russell, Hooks, and Sandland strikeouts. Our coaches did everything in their power to get those three to campus. Had Marrow stayed, I would say that Sandland would have been ours. Being close to home and playing a ton of games close to mom who has been in bad health since his senior year of HS won out with Russell. Coach Joseph made one hell of an effort to get Hooks here. Absolutely amazing effort. Again, location won out.

My thoughts on the 08 and 09 recruiting class are well documented. Those happen to be the players that are playing currently. I like what we have brought in since '10 and really like some of the talented kids we have on our commitment list this year.

I'm not going to get into a stars argument, but why don't you peal back the layers on some of the prospects. You will learn a ton more about why they are rated where they are. For example, Jared Afalava is a kid who could have played for any school he chose to if his grades weren't where they were and I mean it. That is just one of many.

• Fire 2
But EZ, the stars! The stars are the only thing that matters! Why dont you understand?

:sarcasm:

The thing people don't understand is that I don't disagree with the entire star system. I don't. But when you see tell tale signs of players not being worth their ratings you have to begin to discount them. For example, we took Singleton's commitment right away and I don't believe we would accept a commitment from DaShaun Hunt anymore. People need to stop being driveby recruiting fans. If they would actually follow it, they would know that we have done very well getting these kids.

But EZ, the stars! The stars are the only thing that matters! Why dont you understand?

:sarcasm:

The thing people don't understand is that I don't disagree with the entire star system. I don't. But when you see tell tale signs of players not being worth their ratings you have to begin to discount them. For example, we took Singleton's commitment right away and I don't believe we would accept a commitment from DaShaun Hunt anymore. People need to stop being driveby recruiting fans. If they would actually follow it, they would know that we have done very well getting these kids.

EZ...Do you like Singleton better then Hunt? I like realize they don't play the same position but Singleton seems like the better all around athlete to me.

Yes I do. He's a physical freak much like Corey Cooper and Harvey Jackson. That is why I used him, the three star player as a piece of my point. I don't believe our staff would accept a commitment from Hunt who is a four star football player.

We have a great recruiting forum here with great player by player breakdowns. You drastically need to read it. Here are some half truths and inaccuracies I will point out off the top of my head.

2) There are several examples of assistant coaches and even our head football coach taking time away from the team to go recruiting during the year. The driveby recruiting follower doesn't understand it because he sees no commitments.

3) I'll leave the second tier Big Ten comment alone and make it strictly about recruiting.

4) Again the driveby recruiting fan calls Russell, Hooks, and Sandland strikeouts. Our coaches did everything in their power to get those three to campus. Had Marrow stayed, I would say that Sandland would have been ours. Being close to home and playing a ton of games close to mom who has been in bad health since his senior year of HS won out with Russell. Coach Joseph made one hell of an effort to get Hooks here. Absolutely amazing effort. Again, location won out.

My thoughts on the 08 and 09 recruiting class are well documented. Those happen to be the players that are playing currently. I like what we have brought in since '10 and really like some of the talented kids we have on our commitment list this year.

I'm not going to get into a stars argument, but why don't you peal back the layers on some of the prospects. You will learn a ton more about why they are rated where they are. For example, Jared Afalava is a kid who could have played for any school he chose to if his grades weren't where they were and I mean it. That is just one of many.

You keep using the term "drive by recruiting follower"...tell me, what makes you more of an "insider" than someone, say, with a Rivals or 247 subscription? Missing on Hooks, Russell and Sandland were strikeouts. Yes, our coaches may have done everything in their power to get them on campus, but at the end of the day they're not here and we are still in dire need of DTs that could come in and make a difference right away. I'm sure that whenever Adam Dunn strikes out, he's doing everything in his power to hit a bomb, but it's still a strikeout. He's still going back to the dugout...they don't let him on base because he put forth a really solid effort.

I agree with your point about the sort of talent that has been brought in since 2010, however, while I do think it's better, I still think it leaves a bit to be desired.

As to your point about Afalava being rated a 3 star prospect because of his grades....well, Noel Devine was a 5 star prospect and I'm quite convince that he didn't know how to read.

• Fire 4

1) I do my research, driveby recruiting followers, don't. That simple. You can tell by the way they post, you can tell by the way that I post because I don't spew uneducated bull sh#t all over certain threads. If I don't know, I do my reading before I speak.

2) Point taken, at the same time it angers me when the staff's effort is questioned when everything in their power was done and things outside of their control won out on the kids' decision.

3) Elaborate and point out a specific thing left to be desired. Not sure I know specifically what you mean.

4) I see what you mean about Devine and the point is taken, but understand he is the exception.

• Fire 2

3 walk-ons starting on the OL does not get you championships. Name me a team that has that many starting. Not on the team, but in one friggin spot ie OL. This shows a glaring lack of development or a complete bust in recruiting as we have 20+ OL on scholarship.

I agree 100% with your above post.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but IIRC Wisconsin's powerhouse O-Line last season was composed of 2 or 3 former walk-ons. So that alone would blow you guys' point to pieces because Wisky's line last year was probably the most dominant O-line in the country.

• Fire 1