Tim Beck

Amac3309

Name me 5 clear cut, better QB's that Nebraska has had?

Tagge

Humm

Ferragamo

Gill

S. Taylor

Frazier

Berringer

Frost

Crouch

Next group down

Lord

Ganz

Z. Taylor

Quinn

McCant

I would put Taylor in with the 2nd group

According to your profile, you are 24 years old.... How many times did you see Tagge, Humm, Ferragamo, Gill, or Taylor play? I'm 26 years old, and I'd bet we've seen them play about the same number of times....

My father and uncle and grandfather went to many of those games and told me quite a bit about those guys. All were great QBs. If you want to attempt to argue that Martinez is better than any of those be my guest but you will be wrong.

Notice the operating word, one of the best, not the best. You can't look at the numbers he has put up, and the games he has led us to victories in, and say that Martinez isn't a great leader, and a great player. He's taken a monumental step forward this year with working on his passing game. Just look at his completion percentage increase. Yes, he still fumbles a lot, but if that is what he decides to work on this offseason then watch out, our offense could be something special next year.

You honestly believe that Martinez IS NOT one of the best QB's to ever play at Nebraska? I would like to hear you defend that....

He is a great athlete and average qb. He crumbles under pressure and falls apart when facing a team of equal or greater skill. For every great play he has he has equally terrible plays. He has led the NATION in fumbles for 3 years out of 3.

Crumbles under pressure? Ask Ohio St. (2011), Michigan St., Northwestern, and Wisconsin.... Too your logic, for every time he has crumbled under pressure, he has also came through at least as many times. I didn't say he was the greatest QB to ever live, but he is one of our best, based off of stats alone.... There is no legitimate argument against him being one of Nebraska's best....

Stats are meaningless when you play 99% of the time and started your freshman year. in 2011 if Miller doesn't go out do we still win that game? Not a chance. Ohio St. could move the ball when Miller went out. We got whopped against Michigan in 2011 and 2012 he went out because of injury so we don't know how that plays out. Yes lets ask Wisconsin who in 2 years took us to the woodshed. What about 2011 Northwestern where we lost at home?

You just lost the little cred your argument had....do you remember Northwestern 2011? Taylor was one of the very few bright spots. He did everything in his power to win that game. Also career stats are favorable for him but you can't deny him breaking the jr year record, most of our great qb's played their jr year and he broke their records too. Anyone in our fan base that still hates Taylor just has blind hate towards him and he wont ever be able to change that.

Did someone just compare Favre to Martinez and call them similar....ohhhh golly gee. Here is to Martinez having a phenomenal NFL QB career

I wasn't comparing athleticism or anything like that. Just the gunslinger mentality they both have. Their intangibles are similar. Both have started even when injured, both always put their all into all four quarters. Stuff like that is why I'm reminded so much of Favre when I see Taylor. And I'm usually on your side on most things Hedley, but you're wrong on this one. Taylor deserves our support win/lose/draw.

You honestly believe that Martinez IS NOT one of the best QB's to ever play at Nebraska? I would like to hear you defend that.... Also, isn't longevity a quality in most great QB's.

Most college QBs don't have the luxury of starting more or less four full seasons because they wait around behind other guys. Hedley's point isn't about the 'longevity' being good or bad, but merely that Taylor is hitting the record books in part due to having a lot more games started than most of the guys whose career numbers he is surpassing.

Can you hold that against a guy? I say no, especially when we consider Frazier, and Crouch to be our two best QB's ever, and they both started 4 years....

Except Crouch wasn't the starting qb in 98 and wasn't the starter until Texas.

You honestly believe that Martinez IS NOT one of the best QB's to ever play at Nebraska? I would like to hear you defend that.... Also, isn't longevity a quality in most great QB's.

Most college QBs don't have the luxury of starting more or less four full seasons because they wait around behind other guys. Hedley's point isn't about the 'longevity' being good or bad, but merely that Taylor is hitting the record books in part due to having a lot more games started than most of the guys whose career numbers he is surpassing.

Can you hold that against a guy? I say no, especially when we consider Frazier, and Crouch to be our two best QB's ever, and they both started 4 years....

You can when calling a QB one of the best because of the career numbers he is accumulating

Tagge

Humm

Ferragamo

Gill

S. Taylor

Frazier

Berringer

Frost

Crouch

Next group down

Lord

Ganz

Z. Taylor

Quinn

McCant

According to your profile, you are 24 years old.... How many times did you see Tagge, Humm, Ferragamo, Gill, or Taylor play? I'm 26 years old, and I'd bet we've seen them play about the same number of times....

My father and uncle and grandfather went to many of those games and told me quite a bit about those guys. All were great QBs. If you want to attempt to argue that Martinez is better than any of those be my guest but you will be wrong.

Basing our arguments off of second-hand information? I'll leave that too you....

I agree with you that TM will go down as one of the better QB's we have had, I also think its silly to base the decision on stats alone because of different era's, playing time, etc...I think top five is a stretch, and when I think of 5 that are better all I can think of is who would I rather have play a big game and Frazier, crouch, gill, frost, Berringer, and possibly taggee come immediately to mind

Also the argument that he has never won a conf champ is kind of silly today, Osborne even said in his interview today that conf champ when he coached are more like div champ now, which TM has 2

Biggest thing TM going against him is his turnovers and relationship with the media and fans

You honestly believe that Martinez IS NOT one of the best QB's to ever play at Nebraska? I would like to hear you defend that....

He is a great athlete and average qb. He crumbles under pressure and falls apart when facing a team of equal or greater skill. For every great play he has he has equally terrible plays. He has led the NATION in fumbles for 3 years out of 3.

Crumbles under pressure? Ask Ohio St. (2011), Michigan St., Northwestern, and Wisconsin.... Too your logic, for every time he has crumbled under pressure, he has also came through at least as many times. I didn't say he was the greatest QB to ever live, but he is one of our best, based off of stats alone.... There is no legitimate argument against him being one of Nebraska's best....

Stats are meaningless when you play 99% of the time and started your freshman year. in 2011 if Miller doesn't go out do we still win that game? Not a chance. Ohio St. could move the ball when Miller went out. We got whopped against Michigan in 2011 and 2012 he went out because of injury so we don't know how that plays out. Yes lets ask Wisconsin who in 2 years took us to the woodshed. What about 2011 Northwestern where we lost at home?

You just lost the little cred your argument had....do you remember Northwestern 2011? Taylor was one of the very few bright spots. He did everything in his power to win that game. Also career stats are favorable for him but you can't deny him breaking the jr year record, most of our great qb's played their jr year and he broke their records too. Anyone in our fan base that still hates Taylor just has blind hate towards him and he wont ever be able to change that.

I never said hate. He struggles against better teams. check. he throws atleast 1 interception a game in conference almost. check. We never said he wasn't good just that to think he is one of the best is well stupd.

You can when calling a QB one of the best because of the career numbers he is accumulating

Stats are a huge part of how you're measured as a player. There is a reason everyone is making a huge deal out of Peterson's chance to break the single-season rushing record this weekend. Championships, and stats.... That is how legacies are determined. In Martinez's case, with his stats, nobody will be even close after his senior season..... Not even close....

Tagge

Humm

Ferragamo

Gill

S. Taylor

Frazier

Berringer

Frost

Crouch

Next group down

Lord

Ganz

Z. Taylor

Quinn

McCant

With all due respect, what did Berringer, Humm, and Ferragamo do that was so impressive as compared to guys like Jamall Lord, Joe Ganz, and Zach Taylor. Give Jamal Lord the o-line and backs and defense that Frazier and Crouch had, and he would be known as the best ever. Same goes for Taylor and Ganz.

Brook Berringer was a great human being. A tremendous leader and did his job nearly perfectly. But as a brutally honest assessment, he did nothing as a qb to deserve to be mentioned as an all-time great. One of our most remembers players? Yes. Straight up as a quarterback? I would put Lord ahead of him. Lord did a hell of a lot more with a hell of a lot less. Berringer managed games and kept mistakes down and the team leaned on Lawrence Phillips, the Oline and the blackshirts.

Did someone just compare Favre to Martinez and call them similar....ohhhh golly gee. Here is to Martinez having a phenomenal NFL QB career

I wasn't comparing athleticism or anything like that. Just the gunslinger mentality they both have. Their intangibles are similar. Both have started even when injured, both always put their all into all four quarters. Stuff like that is why I'm reminded so much of Favre when I see Taylor. And I'm usually on your side on most things Hedley, but you're wrong on this one. Taylor deserves our support win/lose/draw.

He has my full support. He just isn't one of the best QBs we have had at NU

No no not at all, you can't hold that against him, it's just viewing stats within context. I mean Marlon Lucky finished 4th in all-purpose yards in his career here, and he was a pretty good player, but does that make him one of the best backs to come through here? I don't think so; he got more opportunity to put up numbers than most of his competition.

Really, the bottom line is I think everyone would be a whole lot more receptive of these or any other numbers TM might have, had they come with more successful seasons.