What did we learn

The Husker played well today. Yeah there were mistakes, yeah our defense is the worst it's been since the Billy era, but you have to give these kids credit. They hung with a team that was just seconds from playing in the national title game. This game even though we lost showed us that there may be light at the end of this tunnel. Next year we have a serious shot at the Rose Bowl provided we do some serious development over the off season. I think 2013 could be a very good year for the Huskers. 2014 though will turn out to be a nightmare that will make Bill's worst year look like a dream season. Mainly because Bo hasn't developed any tallent over the last couple years that can step up once next seasons seniors are done.

Seeing this game really gives me hope for breaking 10 wins next season.

Thank you! Man, I hate hearing people rag on our kids after they played their hearts out! You think they didn't want to win? You think it doesn't just steam them when they come so close to knocking off one of the best teams in the nation and can't get it done?

It doesn't help when 'fans' run them in the ground like some on this board are doing. But why am I surprised? This happens every time we lose-people who never come to this board come out of the woodwork to diss our boys and the coaches. I think that's sad. Either you're for this team or you're not. I don't mind constructive criticism but just dismissing them in general is just wrong.

• Fire 2

For all the sunshine pumpers, here's a tweet from Kevin Kugler that should clarify things: "Nebraska's 4 losses this year...opponents scored 53.5 ppg, and averaged 595 yards of total offense."

While the offense averaged 32.5 points a game in our losses. It's totally on Bo and his defenisve coaches. The only thing that needs to change on offense is the Barney needs to go, but that gets said after every year....hopefully this will be the year it acually happnes.

This is the worst defense in school history. Say what you will about that 2007 team, but they played a MUCH tougher schedule than this team did. Next year's schedule is so easy, that if Bo still finds a way to lose 4 games, then idk how even the strongest sunshine pumper can defend him anymore. We have a defensive coach and a horriable defense, that is pretty daming. Bo NEEDS to break that glass celing of 10-4 next year or he deservidly will be gone.

I have no arguments about Barney. He has never produced anything but mediocrity, yet there are some people who think the pipeline is going to magic itself back into existence. Reality knocks. Will anyone answer?

The 10-4 record is skewed by the ugliness of the losses. We play crap teams and squeak out last-second wins (with the help of a couple fortunate calls). We play real teams and get taken behind the woodshed. This isn't progress. It's not success. I actually get a laugh out of the "well we didn't lose 70-30 crowd." What do you even say to something like that? Is that now the definition of an accomplishment in year five of the Pelini era? I guess it'll have to do. Before anyone splits their lips grinning about how well we played today, recall that we lost by two scores and less than fifty points only because a Georgia wideout dropped an easy touchdown in the end zone.

"We played a NC contender hard and. . ." imploded. That's what the sunshine pumpers are trying to say. We played Georgia close, and then imploded. How? Why? No surprise there--the same crap we've done all season. The nation's best in fumbles; can't imagine we're too far behind in penalties or turnovers generally; we play dumb, stupid football and lose games. Year after year. Meanwhile our defense does what it does best--watch superior athletes streak into the endzone often untouched and uncontested.

This season was virtually identical to last season, arguably a step backwards in terms of defensive performance. There is no consolation prize for me, no moral victory. We we staring at a B1G Championship and instead crawl back to the excuse peddlers and sunshine pumpers for another long offseason of delusions. I look forward to the puff pieces about the improved offensive line play, team unity, etc. Meanwhile what is actually changing to bring about better results? I have no idea. I don't think anyone does.

Enjoy the offseason, friends.

• Fire 1

For all the sunshine pumpers, here's a tweet from Kevin Kugler that should clarify things: "Nebraska's 4 losses this year...opponents scored 53.5 ppg, and averaged 595 yards of total offense."

While the offense averaged 32.5 points a game in our losses. It's totally on Bo and his defenisve coaches. The only thing that needs to change on offense is the Barney needs to go, but that gets said after every year....hopefully this will be the year it acually happnes.

This is the worst defense in school history. Say what you will about that 2007 team, but they played a MUCH tougher schedule than this team did. Next year's schedule is so easy, that if Bo still finds a way to lose 4 games, then idk how even the strongest sunshine pumper can defend him anymore. We have a defensive coach and a horriable defense, that is pretty daming. Bo NEEDS to break that glass celing of 10-4 next year or he deservidly will be gone.

I have no arguments about Barney. He has never produced anything but mediocrity, yet there are some people who think the pipeline is going to magic itself back into existence. Reality knocks. Will anyone answer?

The 10-4 record is skewed by the ugliness of the losses. We play crap teams and squeak out last-second wins (with the help of a couple fortunate calls). We play real teams and get taken behind the woodshed. This isn't progress. It's not success. I actually get a laugh out of the "well we didn't lose 70-30 crowd." What do you even say to something like that? Is that now the definition of an accomplishment in year five of the Pelini era? I guess it'll have to do. Before anyone splits their lips grinning about how well we played today, recall that we lost by two scores and less than fifty points only because a Georgia wideout dropped an easy touchdown in the end zone.

"We played a NC contender hard and. . ." imploded. That's what the sunshine pumpers are trying to say. We played Georgia close, and then imploded. How? Why? No surprise there--the same crap we've done all season. The nation's best in fumbles; can't imagine we're too far behind in penalties or turnovers generally; we play dumb, stupid football and lose games. Year after year. Meanwhile our defense does what it does best--watch superior athletes streak into the endzone often untouched and uncontested.

This season was virtually identical to last season, arguably a step backwards in terms of defensive performance. There is no consolation prize for me, no moral victory. We we staring at a B1G Championship and instead crawl back to the excuse peddlers and sunshine pumpers for another long offseason of delusions. I look forward to the puff pieces about the improved offensive line play, team unity, etc. Meanwhile what is actually changing to bring about better results? I have no idea. I don't think anyone does.

Enjoy the offseason, friends.

Imploded? We lost by two touchdowns. I guess I don't consider that 'implosion'. Now if we would've gotten the crap beat out of us like we did when we played Wisconsin-THAT would be implosion. Do we have problems? Yeah, one of them being why we didn't stick with the run game when it was working. I still don't get that but considering who we played, I thought we played tough. If that's being a 'sunshine pumper' then count me in! No offense, I always enjoy your posts, but I just don't agree with this evaluation.

I think it's clear that the coaching is good, but we need better recruiting.

Pollack and Palmer were right all day long - Nebraska hung in there with slower, smaller and less talented players. Yes, there are a few playmakers on this team, but Georgia simply had more talent.

where is it clear that the coaching is good......if you had said mediocre ok but good?

Because the talent is clearly a step (or two) below Georgia, and, offensively at least, that lack of talent matched up very well for 3 quarters.

We had a year where the 4 games we lost we scored over 30 pts in each

The stats are really staggering when u consider them

Gave up 653 yds

Gave up 63 pts 500 yds and 371 yds rushing

Gave up 70 pts 640 yds and 539 yds rushing

And just to top it off with the vaunted top pass d

Gave up 45 pts 589 yds and 427 passing

I thought Turner played a complete game today...he was a legit weapon out there today.

Thank you, Rex!

TMart played good enough to win...he had some balls dropped on him today that could have been big plays.

I thought Meredith did much better than how he played vs. Wisky.

Randle was decent on DL but I don't think Rome is giving us anything.

What has happened to our CB's? Green and Evans were awful. Evans needs to get more strength...abused by bigger players now 2 games in a row. Mitchell was also a disappointment today. Priest Willis...come on down!

UGA 3rd down conversions killed us and suspect tackling cost us some stops.

We desperately need a return to a Blackshirts attack the QB, force turnovers, play downhill defense.

I thought Turner played a complete game today...he was a legit weapon out there today.

Thank you, Rex!

TMart played good enough to win...he had some balls dropped on him today that could have been big plays.

I thought Meredith did much better than how he played vs. Wisky.

Randle was decent on DL but I don't think Rome is giving us anything.

What has happened to our CB's? Green and Evans were awful. Evans needs to get more strength...abused by bigger players now 2 games in a row. Mitchell was also a disappointment today. Priest Willis...come on down!

UGA 3rd down conversions killed us and suspect tackling cost us some stops.

We desperately need a return to a Blackshirts attack the QB, force turnovers, play downhill defense.

We need some serious help on DL and OL.

Saw Evans get pushed around today as well. I also think after 2 PI calls the DB's all backed off.

The OL really plays lazy. Watched them today and they didn't really play with fire. Not a lot of hustle. Didn't seem to take Martinez back. AGAIN.

Martinez is tough and gustsy.

Recruit safeties and convert them to LB's. Go speed, tackling and then size ala Charlie McBride.

Our D leaves the middle of the field exposed. Saw it last year and this year as well.

I am tired of having teams set records against us.

JT looked good returning punts. Held onto the ball.

Rex is a beast.

Martinez needs to tuck and run quicker sometimes IMO.

Cotton had a good game except for the 1 drop.

Only new thing that I learned today is that our d-backs aren't quite fast enough to cover top SEC receivers. They're good enough for 90% of our games but get beat by elite talent.

Looked at times they took wrong angle or got out muscled at LOS. Murray ripped us for yards. but was still like 18 for 33 IIRC (54%). He just killed us with those long balls. I really think the 2 PI calls really made our guys play a lot less physical. This hurt us as well.