Ameer's Fumble

EZ-E

Did anyone else think that the back judge ruled him down? I know for a fact I saw the back judge run into where the ball was loose with a single hand up, which I believe is the signal for a dead ball. Jake Cotton said that he did hear a whistle which is why he let the ball go.

Anyone have a clip so we can specifically watch the back judge? I know he signaled dead ball and if he blew his whistle that is an unreviewable play and we maintain possession. That is what I was screaming at the bar that I was at anyways.

Isnt there also a rule like the NFL that they also make a determination based on reaction of players, that if players from both teams equally react as if it's a live ball, then they treat the play as if it played out. Regardless, it was close enough it shoulda been reviewed. I thought it was a fumble to be honest. Didnt seen anything to suggest otherwize.

Isnt there also a rule like the NFL that they also make a determination based on reaction of players, that if players from both teams equally react as if it's a live ball, then they treat the play as if it played out. Regardless, it was close enough it shoulda been reviewed. I thought it was a fumble to be honest. Didnt seen anything to suggest otherwize.

I would agree with you accountability on the fumble. I do think it was loose as well. But with Jake's comments after the game and what I saw from the back judge, I thought there was something fishy about it. I don't believe that is the rule in the NCAA. I could be wrong though.

You are correct, he did blow it dead. I have it DVR'd and you can clearly see it on the one of two camera angles they allowed us to see.

That must be the whistle Jake Cotton was refering to then!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I do believe that the rule in the NCAA is that once the play is ruled dead, it isn't reviewable? I am currently not in a position to look that up, but I do believe that to be the rule.

I will take Abdullahs word for it that he was down but he needs to hang on to the ball. Can't leave it up to refs to make those calls.

From the very first angle they showed on TV, he wasn't down. His body was parallel to the ground, and the ball was coming out. I have no idea about the play being called dead, but it would seem odd that a back judge would be the one blowing the play dead.

I will take Abdullahs word for it that he was down but he needs to hang on to the ball. Can't leave it up to refs to make those calls.

You're absolutely right. You allow the officials to interfere and you're gambling. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose.

From the very first angle they showed on TV, he wasn't down. His body was parallel to the ground, and the ball was coming out. I have no idea about the play being called dead, but it would seem odd that a back judge would be the one blowing the play dead.

Doesn't matter to me if all the refs called the play dead. These players need to hold the ball and not let go until they hand it back to the ref. Leave nothing to chance. Easier said than done, I know, but that is what is going to be the difference between wins and losses. The little things.

Funny that this was such a crucial play but they didn't show replays of it. I think they showed close in shots of Ameer on replay a time or two. But they didn't say or show anything of the ref whistling the play dead, did they? You'd think that would be important for an announcer to mention that if it happened, wouldn't you?

Funny that this was such a crucial play but they didn't show replays of it. I think they showed close in shots of Ameer on replay a time or two. But they didn't say or show anything of the ref whistling the play dead, did they? You'd think that would be important for an announcer to mention that if it happened, wouldn't you?

What the viewer sees and what the replay officials see are two completely different things. The television broadcasters have screens in their booth allowing them to pull up their own replays, slow down replays, show different angles, etc. There was one opposite-side-angle shot that was shown once by the broadcast crew, but I bet the replay officials looked long and hard at the shot multiple times and were unable to come away with indisputable evidence. The call was a fumble on the field. Whether that was the right call to make is irrelevant by the time it goes to replay, because all that matters then is collecting indisputable evidence to uphold the call or overturn it.