Osborne's Lack of Oversight

wreak: To inflict (vengeance or punishment) upon a person.

reek: A strong offensive odor; a stench.

Wow, wreaks of diarrhea. That's pretty harsh bro.

But it does seem appropriate in this thread. :lol:

I think Osborne's "hands off" approach as Pelini's boss has put us in the position we are with the football program after 5 years. Osborne has mentioned many times in the past that he doesn't like to stick his nose into the football operation because that's the way he liked it when he was Head Coach. IMO, that was entirely the wrong approach to take with a first time HC that he had in Pelini.

Everyone assumed that Tom was hands-on behind the scenes helping Bo to become a solid HC. I tend to think that was not happening and that Osborne let Bo do his thing, and what we're left with is an above average team each year but nothing better, and no signs that we are making the kind of changes and improvement that will take us to another level.

I'm hopeful that the new AD and some of the more vocal (with both voice and $) boosters put a lot of heat on Pelini during this off-season to make some needed changes to attempt to move the ship in a more successful direction. Pelini's press conference after the loss to GA sounded like a guy that new he had to put a positive spin on next year because he didn't have any other choice but to given that it's recruiting time and that in year 6 he needs to step up his game.

May I also point out the Dr. Tom took over the husker program as a "1st Time" head coach. This is just a weird post.

We all like to think of the Tom Osborne of the 1980's and 1990's, but he isn't the same guy in 2013. Nothing wrong with that, life changes and priorities change as we get older. He was brought in as more of a figurehead and even he probably didn't expect to be around for five years. He has said on numerous occasions that he is/was hands-off.

I don't pull out the "I know" card very much, if ever....but I have a very, very, close relative who works basically hand in hand with TO, and this statement above may be the most assinine statement ever posted on HB.... TO wasn't a "figure head".....he invested as much energy into this place as much if not more than anyone in History !! Look at what he had accomplished since his return as AD....This poor decision he so-called made, was to hire a coach who is one of the most successful coaches in NCAA history based on his first 5 year winning percentage... Open your eyes and realize a thing called parity !!!! I will garauntee you it is a LOT more difficult to win the number games that Bo has won in this day and age, compared to the legends of the past, when you had about 10 great programs that ruled the NCAA football universe...combine that with a conference change and opponent familiarity, and it makes Bo's overall record that much more impressive....What a horrific mistake made by the figure head known as TO.......

I can't believe that the expansion of the stadium, $$ thrown into basketball (arena), renovating Devany to enhance VB, firing a close friend in Doc, and trying to reclaim baseball by making a move... Bringing back the history of the program....

To say that TO isn't the same guy or to hint that he didn't care as much or is just a figure head........wow, I am almost wanting to punch myself in the sack for responding to such a moronic statement.

• Fire 1

I think Osborne's "hands off" approach as Pelini's boss has put us in the position we are with the football program after 5 years. Osborne has mentioned many times in the past that he doesn't like to stick his nose into the football operation because that's the way he liked it when he was Head Coach. IMO, that was entirely the wrong approach to take with a first time HC that he had in Pelini.

Everyone assumed that Tom was hands-on behind the scenes helping Bo to become a solid HC. I tend to think that was not happening and that Osborne let Bo do his thing, and what we're left with is an above average team each year but nothing better, and no signs that we are making the kind of changes and improvement that will take us to another level.

I'm hopeful that the new AD and some of the more vocal (with both voice and $) boosters put a lot of heat on Pelini during this off-season to make some needed changes to attempt to move the ship in a more successful direction. Pelini's press conference after the loss to GA sounded like a guy that new he had to put a positive spin on next year because he didn't have any other choice but to given that it's recruiting time and that in year 6 he needs to step up his game.

I understand where you're coming from, but without any actual evidence, this is merely speculation.

How do you not know that Bo doesn't talk to TO daily? Unless we're with each of them daily, none of us know.

Who was TO going to hire besides Bo? I don't remember anyone else being head and shoulders above the rest of the field. Many of us wanted Bo after the Alamo Bowl where they shut down Mich State 17-3. I remember hearing "We want Bo" being chanted.

• Fire 1

Naive

You have no--NONE- idea of how a a football program is run.

Thank you and good night.

I replied to harsh without reading all the previous posts.

I apologize. I see where you're coming from and think you have a point.

Until I realized you have ZERO idea of what it takes to be an AD and/or a football coach.

We are going to be awesome in sports and otherwise precisely because of Osborne.