Manti Te'o's dead girlfriend?

Ulty

So, in conclusion, Manti's PR guys obviously had been working hard the last couple of days. They got the biggest clown of a journalist to do the interview, still played the victim card. I was starting to believe Manti might truly be the victim, but not anymore. This is ridiculous. And ESPN is happy to play along; anything that tries to make the Deadspin story look wrong is good for them.

very well stated and this is where i am right now. it seems all too scripted and they have been taking their time for damage control. they are getting everything in line and cleaning up any possible loose ends to orchestrate manti's version of this story. all these people coming out to take blame and say ronaih (sp?) has come out to take full responsibility. watching schaap come out an do all the talking for manti reeked of baghdad bob. not to mention the changing quotes and story on the ticker.

on final note, i swear i saw it say that manti's play in the bcs game *was* affected by this and he struggled to focus. then, later it said his play *was not*. did anyone else notice this or was i seeing things?

They might have been able to get away with this stuff in the past, but it's 2013. People are so well connected with these stories, so observant, and generally so good at the internet that these "sweep it under the rug" tactics no longer really work and are making ESPN and Manti look awful.

the whole fact that an unrecorded interview was relayed to us at 12:30pm ET on a friday night after all these people are coming out saying there was no way te'o was complicit. and espn scrolling stuff like this: "Another woman, who wouldn't go on camera, tells Shelly that Tuiasosopo confessed to her about Manti." really? another woman? can i call and say something? will that get aired?

also, like you said, all of this was recorded and will be thoroughly reviewed and researched.

I think Manti's telling the truth as far as truth goes, but he's downplaying the parts that would make him look bad. I think it's likely that he's downplaying how loosely he has been applying the term 'girlfriend' -- which explains the lack of hospital visits -- but I don't really think that's worthy of getting all up in arms about. Also, "tailoring" the story is a bit of euphemism for making a ton of stuff up, particularly the manner in which it was done. Did he apologize for misleading everybody with his 'tailor'ing? Probably should...

Oh well, though, this is pretty much looking like a 'nothing to see here....'

Yeah, it is a super weird story. I think on the Manti side, we're down to details like wondering the nature of female relationships this college dude had and what he would've considered dating and whatnot. Which is less intriguing.

The people who made Lennay up and perpetrated it this entire time, that is pretty twisted...

So, in conclusion, Manti's PR guys obviously had been working hard the last couple of days. They got the biggest clown of a journalist to do the interview, still played the victim card. I was starting to believe Manti might truly be the victim, but not anymore. This is ridiculous. And ESPN is happy to play along; anything that tries to make the Deadspin story look wrong is good for them.

very well stated and this is where i am right now. it seems all too scripted and they have been taking their time for damage control. they are getting everything in line and cleaning up any possible loose ends to orchestrate manti's version of this story. all these people coming out to take blame and say ronaih (sp?) has come out to take full responsibility. watching schaap come out an do all the talking for manti reeked of baghdad bob. not to mention the changing quotes and story on the ticker.

on final note, i swear i saw it say that manti's play in the bcs game *was* affected by this and he struggled to focus. then, later it said his play *was not*. did anyone else notice this or was i seeing things?

I'm sure that I read "did affect" his play when I first looked at it this morning. Now it says "did not".

I think Manti's telling the truth as far as truth goes, but he's downplaying the parts that would make him look bad. I think it's likely that he's downplaying how loosely he has been applying the term 'girlfriend' -- which explains the lack of hospital visits -- but I don't really think that's worthy of getting all up in arms about. Also, "tailoring" the story is a bit of euphemism for making a ton of stuff up, particularly the manner in which it was done. Did he apologize for misleading everybody with his 'tailor'ing? Probably should...

Oh well, though, this is pretty much looking like a 'nothing to see here....'

Really? Nothing to see here? I wish I could get on board with the people who are saying this now, but I just don't see it. This whole mess still stinks and Idk how anything that has come out the past few days would lead people to believe he was just a victim who overplayed his sympathy card... I just don't buy it and can't for the life of me see how anyone else would feel these "explanations" are even believable, let a lone prove some kind of reasonable deniability. Not sure if this is just CFB fans who have trouble believing the flaws of their straw dogs or a serious case of mass gullibility. Either way his PR team is definitely earning their paychecks this week!

• Fire 2

If the people had done this before, why was there no big story on it?

exactly. same story, same pictures, same name. and the previous victim or anyone who knew the previous victim never noticed?

The previous victim died too.... Leukemia.... Sonofbit*h Catfished again..... You rascals!

it is bound to happen that a lennay will die of leukemia after a car accident and she will look similar to the fake lennay. at least with the multiverse theory.

I'm sure that I read "did affect" his play when I first looked at it this morning. Now it says "did not".

I'm not interested in either answer really. He was clearly not the same on-field coach that he was all year. But having a dead girlfriend that you never met turn undead should not mean that you suddenly forget how wrap up and tackle.

The real sad truth is had ND had a "regular" season like they have had for the past 20 years, this would not be a story. The bigger issue is the Hiesmen voters saying they voted for this guy BECAUSE of his story. Now all you have to be is an average player, have a great story, and you too can be a Hiesmen finalist?

Teo still was on a 12-0 Notre Dame team and his 7 interceptons were a key reason we went 12-0.

If the people had done this before, why was there no big story on it?

I had heard small stories on 60 minutes type of shows. Usually the victim is conned into sending money to help the online persona. They schedule a real meeting, she never shows, and the next online chat she has another sob story of why she couldn't make it