Manti Te'o's dead girlfriend?

Ulty

The real question is this:

With the story out the way it is... How much does this effect Te'o draft position.

Before the BCS championship game, i saw a top ten pick.... Now see a 25-35 pick.

Probably depends on what people believe. Probably drops some because teams tend to be cautious. Some teams will stay totally away but I doubt if all 32 teams will pass. Someone will take a chance on him early in the second round so I'd say your guess is about right. Maybe 30-40.

Jack Swarbrick also hired a private investigator firm to look into into it in the last week of December. They reportedly had access to all of Teo's phone and internet records. They would have had to really drop the ball if Teo was behind it.

I don't think Te'o was behind it, but there's no denying he at least led the story on after becoming aware that Lennay Kekua wasn't dead. The timing of events proves it, when coupled with responses he gave in certain interviews when asked about her.

Now, granted, this was probably out of shame, embarrassment, or the least likely scenario - he enjoyed the media attention. And I don't blame him for not talking about it - how do you tell millions of people your dead girlfriend, a story line that heavily bolstered your Heisman campaign, isn't really dead and the whole thing was a hoax? I can't think of an easy way.

If there's one thing that can be learned from this situation, it's this - he's got to be smarter. He's going to have people falling all over him in the next few months/years as he begins his NFL career. If he continues to make trusting mistakes like this, he could be in even more serious trouble.

Jack Swarbrick also hired a private investigator firm to look into into it in the last week of December. They reportedly had access to all of Teo's phone and internet records. They would have had to really drop the ball if Teo was behind it.

I don't think Te'o was behind it, but there's no denying he at least led the story on after becoming aware that Lennay Kekua wasn't dead. The timing of events proves it, when coupled with responses he gave in certain interviews when asked about her.

Now, granted, this was probably out of shame, embarrassment, or the least likely scenario - he enjoyed the media attention. And I don't blame him for not talking about it - how do you tell millions of people your dead girlfriend, a story line that heavily bolstered your Heisman campaign, isn't really dead and the whole thing was a hoax? I can't think of an easy way.

If there's one thing that can be learned from this situation, it's this - he's got to be smarter. He's going to have people falling all over him in the next few months/years as he begins his NFL career. If he continues to make trusting mistakes like this, he could be in even more serious trouble.

Agreed, I don't think he was involved in making the profile. I believe that he found out in December that it was all fake. Rather than announcing that he was scammed, and duped, he went along with it. He fathomed some of the stories, like meeting her and whatnot to prevent the embarrassment that he was falling for a girl over the internet, whom he had never seen or met before. In a high profile life that he lived, you would quickly become a laughing stock if you were to state you were in love with someone you never met before. I feel bad for him in a way, but I don't feel bad for him with feeding the media and world about lies, after the fact of him knowing.

If he would have came out when he found out, this would have never imploded into what it is right now. It is sad we have sick individuals that like to f#*k people's lives up and get a thrill out of it. Either way, its a lesson to be learned for Te'o and majority of the world. When speaking to people over the internet, make sure they are real. Do your research and if its long distance, thats why we have a thing called "web cam" and Skype. Its out there for your own good.

The only crock of sh#t worth worrying about was put out by deadspin who wanted to us to believe that Manti Teo invented a girlfriend so she could die and he'd win the Heisman. We know now that was just a dream of Deadspin's Burke. Nit picking over what the scam victim should have known onwhat point in time is trivial so each side can claim they were right about something.

2142172_o.gif

Notre Dame Joe,

You do realize that you're buying the Te'o agent/PR team angle and completely ignoring the factual inconsistencies and blatant contradictions of information that all point to Manti knowing what's going on and actively using the story to his advantage? The Deadspin article doesn't make any claims whatsoever; it simply presents a detailed factual account of the missing data. Manti himself provided the missing data points through interviews and statements over the course of the season. We have the internet now; we can look back on social media activity, find all sorts of quotes and statements made by individuals over the past year, and so on.

We aren't stupid. We can look at the puzzle pieces on the table and put them together for ourselves. Manti might be a good football player, but at the very least he's a horribly scummy and really dumb person. At the worst, he's a manipulative scammer.

Deadspin had an anonymous friend who was 80% sure that Teo was behind it. Then Burke ran wild with that. He obviously sneers at Notre Dame so much that Burke wanted it to that way. Thank God the truth came out in 48 hours, even though that's an eternity in internet time.

Well, I'm not buying in 100% into Te'o being completely uninvolved. Be honest. They took 3 days to meet with lawyers and advisors and espn and such to make sure they had their p's and q's in order to attack this. Not saying he was completely involved, but he used it to his advantage. The pub' meant more than the girl did. He played off it to it's fullest extent.

All of Manti's rebuttals involve us having to take him at his word and Swarbrick's word and Notre Dame's word. Too many inconsistencies and timing issues and stuff that we apparently need to trust Manti's word on for me to call Manti 100% a victim.

The investigation ordered by Notre Dame was limited to the electronic search, Brown said. Investigators did not interview Te’o or his family, nor did anyone attempt to contact Ronaiah Tuiasosopo or any of his relatives.

In response to questions, university officials said the investigators did not examine cell phone records, e-mails or other electronic communication to determine the length or extent of Te’o’s

communication over the past few years with the person claiming to be Lennay Kekua, nor did the university ask Te’o to take a lie detector test.

http://www.southbend...2584,full.story

Sounds on par with Notre Dame's past "investigating."

Notre Dame and the Te'o family are all a bunch of liars and frauds, no matter how much BS Notre Dame Joe is trying to pump to us.

I don't know how you could really believe that Manti was part of this whole, multi-person, carefully crafted conspiracy. To me, this was clearly not one meant for the national consumption. I read through that SI guy (Thamel?)'s original interview with Te'o back in September. It's pretty disgusting the amount of fabrication Te'o went into for a girl he thought was real and actually died of cancer...but if he had created her, he would have had his "Oh sh--" moment right there, when Thamel noted that he'd just call Stanford and check on what her major was.

Te'o comes off as a guy completely and blissfully unaware of the amount of obvious holes in the story, and that, I think, was likely why nobody dug further even in the face of all these question marks -- missing obituaries, Stanford not knowing who she was, etc.

If Te'o and Ronnaiah, et. al, had gotten together and come up with this to fool the national media, I don't think they would have given this girl academic credentials like they did. Just a quiet, unassuming girl from back home that the media couldn't really check on if they wanted.

tschu -- again, what are these inconsistencies you are talking about? There are 'too many' of them, so name a few that can't be explained away by Te'o blowing his 'relationship' with his online gal posthumously out of proportion.