Manti Te'o's dead girlfriend?

Ulty

Katie Couric is getting all the answers.

"Katie, put yourself in my situation. I, my whole world told me that she died on Sept. 12. Everybody knew that. This girl, who I committed myself to, died on Sept. 12," Te'o said in an interview to air Thursday on Couric's syndicated talk show. A segment of the interview with Te'o and his parents was broadcast Wednesday on "Good Morning America."

Committed yourself to, but had never seen her in person while having a one-year dating "relationship."

That makes perfect sense.

Katie Couric is getting all the answers.

"Katie, put yourself in my situation. I, my whole world told me that she died on Sept. 12. Everybody knew that. This girl, who I committed myself to, died on Sept. 12," Te'o said in an interview to air Thursday on Couric's syndicated talk show. A segment of the interview with Te'o and his parents was broadcast Wednesday on "Good Morning America."

Committed yourself to, but had never seen her in person while having a one-year dating "relationship."

That makes perfect sense.

That is a very liberal usage of the the word "committed".

Source provides ESPN's Jeremy Schaap with what source says are Manti Te'o's phone records from May-Sept.

BBURsE2CQAAHQWH.png

So in roughly 122 days, he had 110 sixty-minute conversations with "Lennay?" He called her EIGHT times per day?

Who the f*ck was he talking to?

Can I go back to my "gay" prediction?

Update, 3:25 EST: Apparently, ESPN doesn't have the actual phone records. They have "a spreadsheet" from their source, which claims it represents Te'o's phone records.

Nevermind, he is still just a liar, not gay.

• Fire 1

All of Manti's rebuttals involve us having to take him at his word and Swarbrick's word and Notre Dame's word. Too many inconsistencies and timing issues and stuff that we apparently need to trust Manti's word on for me to call Manti 100% a victim.

Exactly. He's admitted to lying about some things. But now that he's admitted about lying, he's telling the truth about everything else, no matter how little sense it makes. Just trust him.

I don't know how you could really believe that Manti was part of this whole, multi-person, carefully crafted conspiracy. To me, this was clearly not one meant for the national consumption. I read through that SI guy (Thamel?)'s original interview with Te'o back in September. It's pretty disgusting the amount of fabrication Te'o went into for a girl he thought was real and actually died of cancer...but if he had created her, he would have had his "Oh sh--" moment right there, when Thamel noted that he'd just call Stanford and check on what her major was.

Te'o comes off as a guy completely and blissfully unaware of the amount of obvious holes in the story, and that, I think, was likely why nobody dug further even in the face of all these question marks -- missing obituaries, Stanford not knowing who she was, etc.

If Te'o and Ronnaiah, et. al, had gotten together and come up with this to fool the national media, I don't think they would have given this girl academic credentials like they did. Just a quiet, unassuming girl from back home that the media couldn't really check on if they wanted.

tschu -- again, what are these inconsistencies you are talking about? There are 'too many' of them, so name a few that can't be explained away by Te'o blowing his 'relationship' with his online gal posthumously out of proportion.

But you're assuming they came up with it for national attention. I claim it was their little thing for whatever reason - joke on their friends or I'm still leaning toward covering something bigger - that they never anticipated would have to be defended from a national audience. It's only after the story got legs of it's own and everyone knew about it that they panicked and didn't know how to get out of it.