RB Calvin Strong [South Dakota Commit]

OH HSKR FAN

I thought Benning stated that he doesn't have any issues. I think he is a guy in the know.

Damon Benning has stated things such as "He needs to get his act together in the class room and start showing up for practice." That was a direct quote from his show in the pre-season. He has academic issues and other issues alike.

I know Damon fairly well

He IS connected in that tight knit community, he knows a lot of people, is respected there

If he says something is, it is

Heck he coached there and would probably still be coaching if he wasnt coaching his son in Little League this year for the first time.

I thought Benning stated that he doesn't have any issues. I think he is a guy in the know.

Damon Benning has stated things such as "He needs to get his act together in the class room and start showing up for practice." That was a direct quote from his show in the pre-season. He has academic issues and other issues alike.

I know Damon fairly well

He IS connected in that tight knit community, he knows a lot of people, is respected there

If he says something is, it is

Heck he coached there and would probably still be coaching if he wasnt coaching his son in Little League this year for the first time.

Far as I know he is still coaching as an asst at Omaha North.

Sean Callahan talked about him on Big Red Wrap-Up last night. He also mentioned academics so that is obviously a concern. Also, he said Strong ran a 4.7-4.8 40 at Husker camp. He seemed to think some of that was due to not being familiar with running a timed 40 yard dash but that is obviously a concern. If you're 6-2, 220, not so much. At 5-7, 180 you need to be fast at the D1 level. He looks to be a little faster than that on film but he isn't a burner either. Probably doing a little wait-and-see about how he develops physically as well as academically.

His academics are suffering because of the situation he is in. He has all the skills and North has him at the Athletes Table everyday (after school tutoring). Its just a tough situation for him.

EDIT: I should have tried not to be so cryptic. His academics are suffering because of the "family" situation he is in not because he doesn't want to attend class. Read again what Damion had to say, "walk the halls with this kid". CMT1525 I have no idea where you are getting your inside info from.

obviously you are a guy not in "the know"

neil-degrasse-tyson-we-got-a-badass-over-here-gif.gif

The last time I heard him talking about Calvin he stated something to the effect of "Hey internet message board guy, stop saying he's a problem. Come walk with him through the halls. See what his life is like. He's young and making a few mistakes but he's trying to get it right." I have to believe Damon is trying to be a positive influence on him. A guy who went through the process of being a high value recruit, being an idiot kid, and finally turning the corner as a man.

There was no reason to go all internet super douche on me.

Sean Callahan talked about him on Big Red Wrap-Up last night. He also mentioned academics so that is obviously a concern. Also, he said Strong ran a 4.7-4.8 40 at Husker camp. He seemed to think some of that was due to not being familiar with running a timed 40 yard dash but that is obviously a concern. If you're 6-2, 220, not so much. At 5-7, 180 you need to be fast at the D1 level. He looks to be a little faster than that on film but he isn't a burner either. Probably doing a little wait-and-see about how he develops physically as well as academically.

4.7-4.8 is really good for a soph who doesn't know how to run a 40. Just by teaching him the technique, you could get .2 off pretty easily. He doesn't appear to be a burner on film, but he's plenty fast to play at this level. Probably a legit 4.5 guy.

4.7-4.8 is really good for a soph who doesn't know how to run a 40. Just by teaching him the technique, you could get .2 off pretty easily. He doesn't appear to be a burner on film, but he's plenty fast to play at this level. Probably a legit 4.5 guy.

MOST of the kids going to combines these days are using personal speed trainers It's a huge business. These guys specialize in prepping kids for combines.

These guys can help a player through development- to take about .15 off for those who havent been doing the right type of training

When it comes to technique, it really depends on how BAD the players tech is. Yes, some kids can get .1 to .15 off fairly easily with a few minor adjustments to the take off and ending. It depends on where he is at now technique wise, how bad his is. Sounds like he probably hasnt seen that type of training as of yet.

So yes, with the right set of circumstances he could be a 4.5 kid, but nope, not a 4.3, while .2 doesnt sound like much, but .1s are like logrithems once you get below 4.6. No one is getting to 4.3 or 4,2 from a starting point of 4.7 or 4.8 as a HS Junior.

If Damon thinks the kid is heading in the right direction, I beleive him. Most of us have no clue what some of these kids have to deal with at home. The guys who coach at Omaha North, Omaha Central, Omaha South, Bryan, Northwest play social worker as much as they do coach. Ive not coached there but know many that have. Really tough gigs. First day of practice they may have half their kids out with no physical, no paperwork, have to track them down, yes kids without home phones or email or kids that you have to sell on coming out. It isnt like Prep or Millard North where 95% + of the kids on the team show up to that first day ready to go. THEN keeping them eligible and fed- that's a whole nother story. Talk to some of those coaches about kids having to go home to nothing in the cupboard or maybe just cereal etc- reality. I once had a kid quit because he had to visit his dad in prison and the drive was so far they had to miss games to get there on visitation weekends. Some have no support, no role models and no supervision- so dont judge. That's why I was a HUGE fan of Prop 48, to give kids like this some structure and a real chance. Travesty that program isnt around anymore.

• Fire 2

Not sure about "plenty fast". Adequate, probably. But there are also guys who are 200-210 who can run 4.5. If you're looking at two guys who can both run 4.5 and one of them is 180 lbs. and the other is 210 lbs., it's pretty obvious who will get chosen.

How slow are the defenses his team is playing against if he has 1000 yards in 4 games and runs a 4.8 40?

I thought the same thing. Can't find any highlights online at the moment but they showed several on BRW this week. He's just at the edge where he's not totally outrunning everyone but if he gets to the corner, they can't catch him either. You can see that a little bit in the one Hudl highlight in the OP. Thus, Callahan was probably right that he'd be more of a 4.5-4.6 guy once he gets a good time but definitely not a 4.3 guy (for now, anyway).

How slow are the defenses his team is playing against if he has 1000 yards in 4 games and runs a 4.8 40?

Pretty slow

North has played:

Omaha South

Omaha Bryan

Omaha Benson

Lincoln Southwest

Papillion LaVista South

The first 3 teams are awful, low numbers, not very athletic. It is what it is

The last 2 arent bad teams, but I dont think they are top 10-15 teams either.

He hasnt played against a lot of speed yet and speed is relative term in Nebraska. I have a friend that coaches HS football in Florida and I think last year he had something like 25-27 kids who ran 4.7 or faster- in 8A largest class.

Doesnt mean he's not a great back, he has no control over the schedule or speed of this tacklers

Note that in 2010 I think Richard Wynne Jr from Prep led class A in rushing with 1700 yards

He only weighed 175 lbs and ran a 5;05 40. Great kid, great lateral speed, pad level and effort. But you dont have to be a 4.5 kid in Omaha to put up 2,000 yards. It is what it is.