RB Calvin Strong [South Dakota Commit]

OH HSKR FAN

I've seen Calvin a couple times before last night so nothing I saw was surprising. What I did really watch last night was the Decker kid, a massive junior guard that paves the way for Strong. Honestly think he has more upside and potential than Calvin. Don't get me wrong Calvin will be offered and I hope he chooses to be N, but watch for Decker.

Sam's. write up in the OWH today alludes to this as well.

Yep Strong is a great RB, but having the best O-Line in the state helps a lot. Decker can be a heck of a guard for Nebraska in the future.

He's a good player and would be a great division 2 back, and I think he would be worthy of a mid major division 1 type but I would say he would be a reach to ever see pt at Nu. I could see an ohio offer, maybe isu type schools offering. I would say he would be about like a collins okafor here. Just my assessment after watching him.

• 3 weeks later...
Im not arguing against you, the 40 yard dash time is the most lied about and inaccurately tested thing on the planet. 4.4 times in HS are lies 99% of the time, someone talking 4.3 or 4.2- those are whoppers, make me laugh

One year I was working with a guy who claimed he had a 4.4 and 4.3 kid- that same year the fastest time recorded for the NU squad was a tad over 4.5,, yeah right.

Lateral speed is huge, explosiveness, change of direction, field vision, hip level, balance, ability to run through contact- all important

All determined by what a kid can put on film with pads on, on grass

I hope Strong is the next big thing, love local kids doing well. But my guess is Rex and Ameer were playing in Texas and Alabama probably against better competition than South, Benson, Bryan etc

Enjoying the hell out of your posts. I played football for 11 years and coached for 7. People throwing around these 40 times like there a dime a dozen isn't accurate. The only person I think I have heard of with a super low 40 time is Deon Sanders at the combine....I think.

Bo Jackson still holds the record. 4.18 40

they actually claimed he did a 4.12, and then did a 4.18 the next week. 40s weren't electronically timed at the NFL combine or pretty much anywhere else until 1999 though, so anything timed before that is up for debate. since 1999, there have only been 18 official 40 times at the combine of 4.30 or under. one of which was by our very own fabian washington at 4.29. the record is 4.24 held by chris johnson in 2008 and rondel melendez in 1999. to echo what a few people said earlier, the 40 is an extremely overrated statistic that when not electronically timed is extremely subjective. it also greatly favors people who have been trained to run it. one of those 18 i mentioned earlier is marquise goodwin from texas with a 4.27, who represented team USA for track and field in the olympics. he has obviously been taught the correct technique. does anyone really think kids in high school are running a time as good as his?

edit: deion sanders allegedly ran a 4.27 in 1989. i'm sure that one is fairly close to right, but 4.1anything is laughable at best.

Im not arguing against you, the 40 yard dash time is the most lied about and inaccurately tested thing on the planet. 4.4 times in HS are lies 99% of the time, someone talking 4.3 or 4.2- those are whoppers, make me laugh

One year I was working with a guy who claimed he had a 4.4 and 4.3 kid- that same year the fastest time recorded for the NU squad was a tad over 4.5,, yeah right.

Lateral speed is huge, explosiveness, change of direction, field vision, hip level, balance, ability to run through contact- all important

All determined by what a kid can put on film with pads on, on grass

I hope Strong is the next big thing, love local kids doing well. But my guess is Rex and Ameer were playing in Texas and Alabama probably against better competition than South, Benson, Bryan etc

Enjoying the hell out of your posts. I played football for 11 years and coached for 7. People throwing around these 40 times like there a dime a dozen isn't accurate. The only person I think I have heard of with a super low 40 time is Deon Sanders at the combine....I think.

Bo Jackson still holds the record. 4.18 40

they actually claimed he did a 4.12, and then did a 4.18 the next week. 40s weren't electronically timed at the NFL combine or pretty much anywhere else until 1999 though, so anything timed before that is up for debate. since 1999, there have only been 18 official 40 times at the combine of 4.30 or under. one of which was by our very own fabian washington at 4.29. the record is 4.24 held by chris johnson in 2008 and rondel melendez in 1999. to echo what a few people said earlier, the 40 is an extremely overrated statistic that when not electronically timed is extremely subjective. it also greatly favors people who have been trained to run it. one of those 18 i mentioned earlier is marquise goodwin from texas with a 4.27, who represented team USA for track and field in the olympics. he has obviously been taught the correct technique. does anyone really think kids in high school are running a time as good as his?

edit: deion sanders allegedly ran a 4.27 in 1989. i'm sure that one is fairly close to right, but 4.1anything is laughable at best.

Good points. I'm sure Bo didn't run sub 4.2, but if anyone could have done it, it would've been him, Deion, or Darrell Green.

• 1 month later...

Looks like Michigan is showing interest.

Anyone here know Mr. Strong and the level of interest in Nebraska? Is he a native of the state?

Yes he's a native of the state. He is a HUGE Reggie Bush fan and wears his number because he is his idol. He said if he could go to any school in the country it would be USC or UNL. If we want him I think we can get him, unless he ends up being USC's number one back... which with all the talent elsewhere in the country, I highly doubt that ends up happening. Plus when it comes down to it, i doubt this kid goes that far from home.

Another Omaha Player wanted to go to USC if they offered (they didn't) he went UNL and won the Heisman. Johnny Rodgers. Went too HS with him. Can lightning strike twice?

Anyone here know Mr. Strong and the level of interest in Nebraska? Is he a native of the state?

Yes he's a native of the state. He is a HUGE Reggie Bush fan and wears his number because he is his idol. He said if he could go to any school in the country it would be USC or UNL. If we want him I think we can get him, unless he ends up being USC's number one back... which with all the talent elsewhere in the country, I highly doubt that ends up happening. Plus when it comes down to it, i doubt this kid goes that far from home.

Another Omaha Player wanted to go to USC if they offered (they didn't) he went UNL and won the Heisman. Johnny Rodgers. Went too HS with him. Can lightning strike twice?

Hes really good, but there are much better backs in the country. He will be downgraded b/c of his lack of breakaway speed. I would be shocked if USC offered.

Hes really good, but there are much better backs in the country. He will be downgraded b/c of his lack of breakaway speed. I would be shocked if USC offered.

My point exactly. He doesn't have Johnny's speed, but the change of direction is similar.