RB Calvin Strong [South Dakota Commit]

OH HSKR FAN

He has plenty of speed to be an effective back at the D1 level. I'll take a guy with good balance, quickness, vision, and "football smarts" (which Calvin appears to have the first three) over a height-weight-speed guy only any day, so long as certain prereqs are made. If you actually look at verified testing results from HS kids, very few are running legit 4.4s, and the ones that are, I can pretty much guarantee they are being taught how to test out. I train some guys for combines, and one in particular came to me running a 5.1 40. I got him down to the high 4.6s for combines about 7 months later. He got faster sure, but there are so many tricks and techniques to influence combine times/results. While his time would say he was faster than Richard Wynne, RW would burn him on a football field.

I'll take a guy with good balance, quickness, vision, and "football smarts" (which Calvin appears to have the first three) over a height-weight-speed guy only any day, so long as certain prereqs are made.

Nothing like an absolute followed by a qualifier.

He has plenty of speed to be an effective back at the D1 level.

What are you basing this off of?

Here are some highlights. My observations:

- He has good footwork and it fairly quick (not the same as fast)

- He gets to run through some HUGE holes

- He basically never runs away from anyone. In fact, several times he gets run down.

Now, those are sophomore highlights. He will (in all likelihood) get stronger and maybe a little faster. But that's not the jaw-dropping dominance I'd like to see for a guy at that level to expect big things at the next level. Small size + average speed + questionable grades = very understandable why people are taking their time evaluating him.

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/football/recruiting/player/combine/_/id/89012/ameer-abdullah

http://recruiting.scout.com/a.z?s=73&p=8&c=1&nid=3062834 (bottom right hand corner)

Who would ever want those two guys? 170 and 185 running 4.6 and 4.82? Not impressed.

For the record, I don't even care if we offer Calvin. Just trying to illustrate how a 40 yard dash time recorded as a sophmore shouldn't be the deciding factor. So long as you aren't pulling the plow, you can be a very good rb if you have other attributes.

• Fire 2

Im not arguing against you, the 40 yard dash time is the most lied about and inaccurately tested thing on the planet. 4.4 times in HS are lies 99% of the time, someone talking 4.3 or 4.2- those are whoppers, make me laugh

One year I was working with a guy who claimed he had a 4.4 and 4.3 kid- that same year the fastest time recorded for the NU squad was a tad over 4.5,, yeah right.

Lateral speed is huge, explosiveness, change of direction, field vision, hip level, balance, ability to run through contact- all important

All determined by what a kid can put on film with pads on, on grass

I hope Strong is the next big thing, love local kids doing well. But my guess is Rex and Ameer were playing in Texas and Alabama probably against better competition than South, Benson, Bryan etc

• 2 weeks later...
Im not arguing against you, the 40 yard dash time is the most lied about and inaccurately tested thing on the planet. 4.4 times in HS are lies 99% of the time, someone talking 4.3 or 4.2- those are whoppers, make me laugh

One year I was working with a guy who claimed he had a 4.4 and 4.3 kid- that same year the fastest time recorded for the NU squad was a tad over 4.5,, yeah right.

Lateral speed is huge, explosiveness, change of direction, field vision, hip level, balance, ability to run through contact- all important

I hope Strong is the next big thing, love local kids doing well. But my guess is Rex and Ameer were playing in Texas and Alabama probably against better competition than South, Benson, Bryan etc

Enjoying the hell out of your posts. I played football for 11 years and coached for 7. People throwing around these 40 times like there a dime a dozen isn't accurate. The only person I think I have heard of with a super low 40 time is Deon Sanders at the combine....I think.

Enjoying the hell out of your posts. I played football for 11 years and coached for 7. People throwing around these 40 times like there a dime a dozen isn't accurate. The only person I think I have heard of with a super low 40 time is Deon Sanders at the combine....I think.

Bo Jackson still holds the record. 4.18 40