Barney Moving to TE Coach?

HuskerZag

If I read nothing other than this thread, I get the impression that this "rumor" is only based on a single tweet in the OP that perhaps could have been a typo. Are there other sources for all of these rumors, or is this just bluster to pass the time during the offseason?

Did you read the whole thread? If so, you would find your answer to your question.

This +1 beat me to it.

Does anyone know when Cottons contract is up? If its at the end of this year, this could be a pre-emptive move to get coaches in the right spots and instead of firing cotton, he just doesn't get his contract renewed.

I might be mistaken but the assistant coaches are on renewable 1 year contracts. So technically, his contract would be up every year.

Does anyone know when Cottons contract is up? If its at the end of this year, this could be a pre-emptive move to get coaches in the right spots and instead of firing cotton, he just doesn't get his contract renewed.

I think we are trying to keep Cotton hired for a number of reasons.

1. He is Bo's really good friend. Stupid I know, but loyalty is what is important to Bo.

2. I think Bo is trying to show kids we are not going to play "Coaching Carousel". We have a record of having a new coach, or even coaches, every year or at least every other year. Firing or just losing them in general.

3. I have heard numerous times, that Cotton was eventually going to be moved to a desk job. Rather than firing him, leaving him unemployed, he can stay as a coach with less responsibilities. That and Cotton isn't completely useless. He is a good coach, just probably is getting away from his own roots.

These are just my opinions, and they could very well be off from the actual reasoning.

I think we are trying to keep Cotton hired for a number of reasons.

1. He is Bo's really good friend. Stupid I know, but loyalty is what is important to Bo.

2. I think Bo is trying to show kids we are not going to play "Coaching Carousel". We have a record of having a new coach, or even coaches, every year or at least every other year. Firing or just losing them in general.

3. I have heard numerous times, that Cotton was eventually going to be moved to a desk job. Rather than firing him, leaving him unemployed, he can stay as a coach with less responsibilities. That and Cotton isn't completely useless. He is a good coach, just probably is getting away from his own roots.

These are just my opinions, and they could very well be off from the actual reasoning.

I've heard before that Jamrog will be out at his spot eventually (for various reasons???) and that at that point Barney will take over that position to allow for Stai to take over a full time oline coach job once his internship is up. Anyone else here such a thing?

Either way Cotton got a demotion. It really makes me question why he is still on the staff. Its basically an admission that he wasnt doing a good enough job on the line. I just dont understand why they let Marrow go when they could have let Cotton go, or have Cotton over see the new recruiting department, and we could have kept our TE coach who was proved to have some decent connections in Ohio. Also lots of rumors that Beck didnt want Cotton coaching the oline anymore, and this is a way to keep Cotton and keep Beck happy, again rumors and speculation on that, but Cotton is our new TE coach.

It will be interesting to see what other changes come of these new rules.

Yea. This really is baffling.

As far as Marrow's character eventually showing. I don't know if we know enough to say it's an indictment on his character. We just happen to be on the Nebraska side of things. Could very well be a case of sour grapes on the part of Bo, who, gotta love him but he's been known to be sour a few times. He's done worse in the past. To Nebraska.

I mean, a guy that was Marrow's recruit that we all talked about as someone we could lose if we let Marrow walk, who had formed a relationship with Marrow over his recruitment process, how do you not at least kind of expect he'll want to follow him? Recruits don't commit to uniforms, they commit to coaching staffs they believe in, and often it's their top recruiters they trust and connect with.

Barney is adding to his job title not changing it.

If that's the case and Barney is getting a promotion, that makes more sense I guess, the staff really believes in Barney and wanted him to do more stuff over keeping Marrow.