Spring Practice Updates

has anyone heard how the scrimmage went last night? Injuries?

Same question - there was a 100-play scrimmage yesterday, right? I haven't seen a report anywhere.

There isn't going to be reports. It was a closed scrimmage.

The Gifford kid from LSE was on our local sports talk show (Doug & Daddy of Kearney). He attended the scrimmage last night. Said Imani Cross was really impressive. Was very vast. Supposedly dropped 20 pounds, but didnt appear to have. Also said the defense was impressive as well. Was tons faster and more athletic as a whole than last year's.

I threw this out a bit ago. It's not much, but it's more than I've found so far.

Thanks I appreciate it!

... because I'm cool finagling a Med Red for Stanton SEC-style.

Oh man, Tommy as a Sophomore-Junior-Senior and then Stanton as a Junior-Senior. We'd be set until 2019!

Enough time for Bubba Starling to fizzle out of baseball and finally get to Lincoln to suit up, eh?

he'll be out of eligibility by then. clock starts ticking after high school now.

Oh man, Tommy as a Sophomore-Junior-Senior and then Stanton as a Junior-Senior. We'd be set until 2019!

Enough time for Bubba Starling to fizzle out of baseball and finally get to Lincoln to suit up, eh?

he'll be out of eligibility by then. clock starts ticking after high school now.

I think if you actually show up and are enrolled then yes, but if you don't I didn't think your clock starts. However it is moot regarding Bubba as he did show up and started Spring Ball at NU before he signed with the Royals, so yes his 5 year clock is currently running.

I think if you actually show up and are enrolled then yes, but if you don't I didn't think your clock starts. However it is moot regarding Bubba as he did show up and started Spring Ball at NU before he signed with the Royals, so yes his 5 year clock is currently running.

Not true, he was not enrolled as a full time student and is therefore not using his eligibility. That was my understanding of it anyways

Not true, he was not enrolled as a full time student and is therefore not using his eligibility. That was my understanding of it anyways

So you are allowed to practice and not start your clock? Seems like an odd loophole if so.

We have a great group of wide receivers who also happen to be very talented:

Turner almost, for a moment, sounded like a coach.

“I feel like one. I feel like I've been here forever,” said Turner, who was then promptly reminded that it was just two years ago when he started catching passes for the first time instead of throwing them.

<snip>

These three veterans, perhaps the most dangerous receiver trio returning in the Big Ten, know what kind of results are produced by continual commitment to day-by-day improvement. They are the products of that.

Now they're hoping to pass their habits on to the underclassmen working behind them.

“The No. 1 thing that we can do is to give back to this team and teach the younger guys the way we do it,” Bell said. “That's how you develop a legacy of great receivers. I could care less if anybody remembers my name if we're producing some (great) receivers down the road.”

Full OWH Article

Also, from the same article:

“I feel like one. I feel like I've been here forever,” said Turner, who was then promptly reminded that it was just two years ago when he started catching passes for the first time instead of throwing them.

Back then, a veteran's evaluation of Turner wouldn't have been too flattering. As Turner put it in his mock rendition of what his teammates witnessed as he struggled to adjust to the receiver position: “Jamal couldn't learn a play. He couldn't run routes.”

Yet in 24 months, Turner now finds that he's the one setting the example. And it's exactly the role Turner wants.

“They can relate to me because of the situation they're in,” Turner said. “They come to me a lot.”

I know it won't but hopefully people will finally here this enough to learn that Jamal - and more than likely most of the others who "should have been on the field more" - were not in the doghouse but just still growing as college athletes. Kudos to Jamal for how far he's come in two years. Excited to see what the next two years bring.

Interesting article on Mo Seisay:

Then things turned in fall camp. A high-ankle sprain took more than Seisay’s health.

He says it took his swagger, too.

“It was my first injury I ever had in my college career,” Seisay said. “I didn’t even know how to handle it.”

He missed the first two games but pushed himself to get back onto the field.

Maybe he pushed too fast.

“I kind of forced myself to go on the field because of competition,” Seisay said. “I felt like I was hurting the team by not being out there. But then again, I did hurt the team by being out there and not being 100 percent. It was lingering and I was just being a bonehead and not listening to the trainers, and trying to force my way onto the field when I wasn’t ready.”

Full LJS Article

Also, from the same article:

Back then, a veteran's evaluation of Turner wouldn't have been too flattering. As Turner put it in his mock rendition of what his teammates witnessed as he struggled to adjust to the receiver position: “Jamal couldn't learn a play. He couldn't run routes.”

Yet in 24 months, Turner now finds that he's the one setting the example. And it's exactly the role Turner wants.

“They can relate to me because of the situation they're in,” Turner said. “They come to me a lot.”

I know it won't but hopefully people will finally here this enough to learn that Jamal - and more than likely most of the others who "should have been on the field more" - were not in the doghouse but just still growing as college athletes. Kudos to Jamal for how far he's come in two years. Excited to see what the next two years bring.

the doghouse theory has been debunked more than it has been proved---->fact.

• Fire 2

It sounds like the defensive line for this season could be a rotation as the young guys may not be ready to play 60 plays a game. Frankly, it would help keep them fresh throughout the season if they can get a solid rotation going. The young guys on the defensive line have shown flashes but need more consistency yet....which is what we all would expect.

It sounds like the defensive line for this season could be a rotation as the young guys may not be ready to play 60 plays a game. Frankly, it would help keep them fresh throughout the season if they can get a solid rotation going. The young guys on the defensive line have shown flashes but need more consistency yet....which is what we all would expect.

I'm not against a rotation, even it it means some less experienced/less talented guys are getting quite a bit of playing time. An average lineman at 90-100% is probably as good as a pretty good one playing at 60-70%