Spring Practice Updates

It sounds like the defensive line for this season could be a rotation as the young guys may not be ready to play 60 plays a game. Frankly, it would help keep them fresh throughout the season if they can get a solid rotation going. The young guys on the defensive line have shown flashes but need more consistency yet....which is what we all would expect.

I'm not against a rotation, even it it means some less experienced/less talented guys are getting quite a bit of playing time. An average lineman at 90-100% is probably as good as a pretty good one playing at 60-70%

I think rotation would be great for this team. It sounds like we'll be deep with young talent, but without any proven forces that you have to keep in there. Like you said, it'll keep guys fresh and get experience for the newcomers. On a side note, just watched Alonzo Moore's film for the first time today. What an incredible and fluid athlete. Anyone opposed to going 5 wide and putting RKIII back in the shotgun?

It sounds like the defensive line for this season could be a rotation as the young guys may not be ready to play 60 plays a game. Frankly, it would help keep them fresh throughout the season if they can get a solid rotation going. The young guys on the defensive line have shown flashes but need more consistency yet....which is what we all would expect.

I'm not against a rotation, even it it means some less experienced/less talented guys are getting quite a bit of playing time. An average lineman at 90-100% is probably as good as a pretty good one playing at 60-70%

I think rotation would be great for this team. It sounds like we'll be deep with young talent, but without any proven forces that you have to keep in there. Like you said, it'll keep guys fresh and get experience for the newcomers. On a side note, just watched Alonzo Moore's film for the first time today. What an incredible and fluid athlete. Anyone opposed to going 5 wide and putting RKIII back in the shotgun?

Yes, but I'm not opposed to going five wide with Martinez in the 'gun. QB draw would be unstoppable.

Here are some quick notes and observations to pass along from Nebraska's first practice back from spring break on Monday inside the Hawks Championship Center and fields north of of Memorial Stadium. Hit the link for our full Monday practice notebook...

***Defensive coordinator John Papuchis said the defense came back with a little bit of rust after the week off, but eventually settled in and had a good, focused and physical practice. That was definitely a good sign, as defensive line coach Rick Kaczenski said the defense played very poorly in the final scrimmage of Week 2, and the week off felt like a bye week following a loss.

Mod Edit - Please read THIS THREAD before posting material written by any outside source. Only post a portion of the content (smaller is better) and always, always leave a link. Thanks! - knapplc

Yes, but I'm not opposed to going five wide with Martinez in the 'gun. QB draw would be unstoppable.

Now we're thinking.

***Stanley Jean-Baptiste said the Huskers have been practicing more zone defense this spring and he expects them to use it more in the fall.

PLEASE!!! I'm not saying we should dump our man coverage but at least have something else to try if it isn't working.

I'm all for doing one thing extremely well rather than doing a couple of different things at a lower level. JMO.

***Stanley Jean-Baptiste said the Huskers have been practicing more zone defense this spring and he expects them to use it more in the fall.

PLEASE!!! I'm not saying we should dump our man coverage but at least have something else to try if it isn't working.

I'm all for doing one thing extremely well rather than doing a couple of different things at a lower level. JMO.

I agree. And if we were doing one thing really well, I'd see no reason to change.

Brian Rosenthal@HuskerExtraBR44m

#Huskers secondary coach Terry Joseph said Corey Cooper has exceeded expectations at safety; also likes the length Harvey Jackson brings.

Theyve been sayin stuff like this about Harvey for what seems like a decade now. same story different verse. I'm not buyin until he's blowin up backs against UCLA.

I've seen some solid plays out of him, esp. in the spring game where he participated with a broken hand? or something of the sort....

Once again....a playbook issue!?

SIMPLIFY IT!

I had the same response, but mostly because of our inability to contain mobile QBs. Playing more zone should help.

Sounds like VV isn't going to cut it against no-huddle offenses...

http://nebraska.scou.../2/1277977.html

Lot of time between now and August to get in better shape. Sounds like it was more mental, being used to being able to take plays off.

I really hope so. But when you keep hearing things like this, it makes me start to wonder if the dedication is there. Plenty of time to figure it out so hopefully he will.

I've always been a fan of Harvey Jackson. Hoping he sees the field a lot this year. In a general thought, I really don't know what to expect from this defense and I don't see how anybody could really lay out any expectations of this season's defense. We know nothing about a lot of these guys. With a Head Coach who has always chosen experience over athletic talent, it is a guessing game yet kind of exciting to think of the possibilities. I just really don't know what to expect on defense. Now offensively, we should be and shall be a juggernaut.