I would say at this late stage, a PS3 would be a better option. There's no subscription fee like there is with Xbox Live, all of the major online titles are cross platform and Sony has a good history of continuing to support their systems long after the next-generation iteration comes out, while Microsoft....doesn't.

Looking to get a console for mainly online gaming. Previously owned a PS3 and liked it but always thought the Xbox online play was better. Not familiar at all with how Xbox LIve and all of that works as I have played an Xbox maybe 10 times in my life. So which would be better?

If you are looking at online gaming quality I would go xbox. It is a paid service, unlike PSN. You can either pay yearly, monthly, 3 month increments, whatever. One year retail price is 59.99, however if you keep your eye out online you can find decent deals on them. I bought a year the other day for 39.99.

Along with xbox live comes online gaming as well as a variety of other online features, including apps such as watch espn and several others.

Looking to get a console for mainly online gaming. Previously owned a PS3 and liked it but always thought the Xbox online play was better. Not familiar at all with how Xbox LIve and all of that works as I have played an Xbox maybe 10 times in my life. So which would be better?

You are almost better off waiting til fall and get the next gen. And from what I have seen so far, the next gen will be Sony dominated by anyone over 12. Too much bad BS around the xbox.

If the last generation turn was any indication, Microsoft will drop Xbox support very soon after the next one comes out this fall, while Sony supported the PS2 for several years after.

Unless you have a group of friends who you plan on playing with, go PS3. Free online play alone. The aspects that people say put Xbox ahead are primarily focused on having a large group of friends.

You might also think about a PC solution. While both consoles are on their way out (and just say 'no' to the Wii U) with the next gen coming this Christmas, a PC would get you a longer term buy, but will cost a bit more at the start, but will be cheaper in the long run if you do not want to upgrade in a year when new games stop coming out for the PS3 and Xbox360.

I would say at this late stage, a PS3 would be a better option. There's no subscription fee like there is with Xbox Live, all of the major online titles are cross platform and Sony has a good history of continuing to support their systems long after the next-generation iteration comes out, while Microsoft....doesn't.

Considering that Sony has already announced no backwards compatibility with any PS3 games or any purchases made on the PlayStation Network when the PlayStation 4 drops this fall, this is a rather dubious recommendation at best. :-|

---

WIUHusker, at this point and time, I would either go with the 360 for the online play as you mentioned, or wait until Microsoft announces their new system in June and see what it offers, then pick between the PS4 and Next XBox (whatever it will be called).

But I'd avoid getting a PS3 at this point and time. There's a reason Sony is doing blowout game sales on the PlayStation Network and "Buy 12 get 3 free" offers for PlayStation Plus on the PS3--kinda hard to get people to buy if they know nothing will carry over to the next system, as Sony has already announced.

Considering that Sony has already announced no backwards compatibility with any PS3 games or any purchases made on the PlayStation Network when the PlayStation 4 drops this fall, this is a rather dubious recommendation at best. :-|

---

WIUHusker, at this point and time, I would either go with the 360 for the online play as you mentioned, or wait until Microsoft announces their new system in June and see what it offers, then pick between the PS4 and Next XBox (whatever it will be called).

But I'd avoid getting a PS3 at this point and time. There's a reason Sony is doing blowout game sales on the PlayStation Network and "Buy 12 get 3 free" offers for PlayStation Plus on the PS3--kinda hard to get people to buy if they know nothing will carry over to the next system, as Sony has already announced.

While what you're saying is true, you're missing the second element to this equation; that Sony is still going to make and support new games on the PS3 long after PS4 comes out. If the OP isn't invested enough as a gamer to wait and drop huge money on a brand new console (that will have a small library and small userbase for some time), you'd want to pick the existing console that will continue to be supported the longest.

PS3!

I actually just got one a little while ago as well. Free online, the library of games is better than the 360's, and it will be supported for a long time to come. Plus, you don't have to mess with the Xbox's crappy menu screens and you get to use the PS3 controller (best controller out there. Xbox controllers are terrible layout and feel wise). And the PS3 is a lot quieter and cooler as well.

PS3!

I actually just got one a little while ago as well. Free online, the library of games is better than the 360's, and it will be supported for a long time to come. Plus, you don't have to mess with the Xbox's crappy menu screens and you get to use the PS3 controller (best controller out there. Xbox controllers are terrible layout and feel wise). And the PS3 is a lot quieter and cooler as well.

I would definitely disagree with that. I used to be anti xbox during the ps2 days, then I got a 360, and the controller, over time, is way more comfortable than the playstation one. And I used to be a sony nut all the way.

PS3 hands down. Bought my first 360 for it to only crap out on me with the Ring of Death the day I bought it.

Although the PS4 will not be backwards compatible, Sony is designing a cloud based streaming allowing you to play PS3, PS2, and maybe even some PS1 games. I'm sure some games will be free where others probably the popular games will cost a few bucks.

I don't understand the logic with people bragging about Xbox Live? Sure you have to pay for it but you're still going to have the occasional disconnects and lag. I remember playing Halo Reach and COD:4 on Xbox live and getting disconnected from games and lag. PS3's online isn't the greatest but its not bad at all.

I'm not high for this but Sony is planning to have their customers pay to play online games for the PS4.

I'm not high for this but Sony is planning to have their customers pay to play online games for the PS4.

Unconfirmed. This was based off one website reporting, and basing it on reading between the lines on a statement by a Sony exec. Odds are much more likely they keep with the Playstation+ model they have now.

As to the next Xbox

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/03/20/xbox-durango-requires-all-games-to-be-installed

The documentation goes on to state Durango games will be distributed on Blu-ray discs, but the discs are purely used as a means to install data, and will not be read during gameplay. Also of note: the Durango will feature "Always On, Always Connected" online connectivity.

And if you have ever dealt with 'Games For Windows' on PC, the headaches will be bad.