Phil Steele says Nebraska will be #17 heading into the season

This isn't Phil Steele's Top 25 - it's his projection of what the Top 25 will look like when football starts this Fall. Nebraska checks in at #17.

nebraska_logo.gifNo. 17 Nebraska-The Huskers have been consistent under Bo Pelini as they have won at least 9 games each of his five seasons but have also lost four games each of those years as well. This year could be the year they finally break thru as they return 8 starters on offense including quarterback Taylor Martinez who returns for his 4th-year as the starter. The Achilles Heel for the Huskers last year was a defense that allowed 27.6 ppg and they return just 4 starters on that side of the ball this year. However, their schedule is manageable as they avoid Ohio St and Wisconsin from the Leaders division and also play their first five games at home.

That projection puts us ahead of Wiscy (#24), UCLA (#23), Northwestern (#20), Michigan (#19) and Texas (#18).

Other notables for Nebraska Fan: Oklahoma (#14), Texas A&M (#5) and THE Ohio State University (#2).

Ohio St's needs to be the Big10's bellcow this year. I will be pulling for them to be going to Indy unbeatin. Hopefully, we pull our weight and can get there with at most 1 loss. Would be nice to knock'em off at that point, but if we dont make it there, Ohio St has my support all the way to the end-for the sake of the Big10.

• Fire 1

There is a pretty solid chance for the Big 10 title game to have an undefeated NU and undefeated OSU. That would be a sweet conference championship game. No, I am not sold on Michigan and the WCO they are trying to run this year, yikes.

Bo should know how to defend against that WCO.

There is a pretty solid chance for the Big 10 title game to have an undefeated NU and undefeated OSU. That would be a sweet conference championship game. No, I am not sold on Michigan and the WCO they are trying to run this year, yikes.

Exactly, that is playing into his hands, it is also forcing Michigan to put in a new offense and to take away a lot of the QB runs. I am super happy about that!

How wild would it be having undfeated NU vs. OSU for the B1G Championship and a trip to the national championship game?

Dreaming, I know.

It has to be a better experience than when I went last December. I hope at least.

That would be awesome. No free tickets for that one!

• Fire 1

Exactly, that is playing into his hands, it is also forcing Michigan to put in a new offense and to take away a lot of the QB runs. I am super happy about that!

I don't know about that, they will be running the WCO with a pretty good passer and an excellent runner at QB. The latter being our major weakness of course.

Seems a bit low with the offensive firepower returning. I know that the defense is prematurely suspect, but we do have the ability to simply outscore teams if necessary.

Starting that far down means early losses by those in the top ten won't drop them below us.

A little harder this year since they are bringing in a 5 star Tailback.

Not a great pass catcher, that will be issue one. Issue two, new offense. Issue three, being told, over and over to throw the ball away instead of running. Michigan was average last year and got lucky to escape a few games (So did NU, no doubt) but the Michigan love is odd. No more spread sets from their offense?!?! SWEET

Not a great pass catcher, that will be issue one. Issue two, new offense. Issue three, being told, over and over to throw the ball away instead of running. Michigan was average last year and got lucky to escape a few games (So did NU, no doubt) but the Michigan love is odd. No more spread sets from their offense?!?! SWEET

Definitely a tweener year for them.

NFL offense without all the players in place. above average but not a great team. Look for 9 wins at least.

OSU, ND, Northwestern and Nebraska are the problem games. 3 at home.