Martinez to resume training with Calhoun

QMany

Calhoun put Martinez through a mix of drills in 2012 during the offseason, 13 sessions in all. They trained again last month over NU's spring break.

Their sessions will resume next month, Calhoun said Thursday. Martinez has told Calhoun he plans to head home to Southern California in early May and stay for about a month. Calhoun stays in contact with Nebraska offensive coordinator Tim Beck.

http://journalstar.com/sports/huskers/football/martinez-to-resume-technique-training-next-month/article_677f7272-a582-5ae1-8b07-b8dc779b9a7c.html

He has made some noticeable changes with Martinez last season, and I think its safe to say that we could see even more this year. I would like to see more consistency with his throwing motion and mechanics. Repeat it until it becomes a habit.

I would like to see him throw better outside the pocket, something he may have to do more of this year. Throwing while in motion hasn't really been his strong suit.

Stats alone tell the tale.

2012 - 62%, 2871 yards, 23 TDs, 12 INTs, and a QB rating of 141.6

2011 - 56%, 2089, 13 TDs, 8 INTs, and a 126.5 QB rating

I credit a lot of Taylor's progress to simply being in one offensive system. This being his third year, my hopes/expectations are high.

I credit a lot of Taylor's progress to simply being in one offensive system. This being his third year, my hopes/expectations are high.

It's not one thing that improved his performance.

1) Second year in system.

2) Working with QB coach

3) Healthy HUGE factor

4) Improved performance from the people around him especially the WRs.

It's not one thing that improved his performance.

1) Second year in system.

2) Working with QB coach

3) Healthy HUGE factor

4) Improved performance from the people around him especially the WRs.

Agree, all these factors are great indicators that barring injury we should see a special T-Magic next season. Cut down on turnovers/penalties and we may be in store for the second scoring explosion.

I liked that they plan to work on the TO issue as well as mechanics. Plans to work out almost a month. Pretty dedicated and focused. Also liked trying to really develop the ability to have the proper mechanics while guys are in his grill. Would love to see the rest of the team step up like this (Maybe they are, I do not know).

I also hope that the team, read OL, learn or are taught that when an opposing LB throws your QB to the turf ala WWE, you get the penalty and earhole said offender. TOO MANY times Martinez got hit last year and no one did a thing. I am hoping that Long and Cotton develop this mean streak and play nasty with a chip. Hate the stupid penalties, but letting teams know early on that Martinez is off limits would set a great tone for the rest of the year. See them play as a group, protecting one another, loyalty on and off the field.