Martinez to resume training with Calhoun

QMany

Hopefully Taylor and Calhoun really hit the footwork hard. Timing and accuracy on throws is mostly footwork, not arm mechanics and if he can make strides in that area, watch out. Imagine how much our offense could open up if we could consistently complete passes down the field outside the numbers.

I don't know about the 70% completion, but I have no doubts he throw for over 3,000 and rush for over 1,000, even without learning how to throw on the run.

If he has these kinds of numbers he will be in New York come January

He was 129 passing yards short of 3,000 last year, and had over 1,000 rushing. He'll do it, but I don't know if it will be enough for him to get to New York. That all depends on media hype and what the team's record is.

I don't know about the 70% completion, but I have no doubts he throw for over 3,000 and rush for over 1,000, even without learning how to throw on the run.

If he has these kinds of numbers he will be in New York come January

He was 129 passing yards short of 3,000 last year, and had over 1,000 rushing. He'll do it, but I don't know if it will be enough for him to get to New York. That all depends on media hype and what the team's record is.

Touche :P

He has made some noticeable changes with Martinez last season, and I think its safe to say that we could see even more this year. I would like to see more consistency with his throwing motion and mechanics. Repeat it until it becomes a habit.

I would like to see him throw better outside the pocket, something he may have to do more of this year. Throwing while in motion hasn't really been his strong suit.

Agree about throwing while in motion. If he could throw on the run that bowl could've easily been a win. If I remember correctly all three picks came outside the pocket, and so did the errant pass that should've been an easy td to Turner. He made significant gains as a pocket passer last year, would be great if he could make an equivalent gain this year outside the pocket.

Stats alone tell the tale.

2012 - 62%, 2871 yards, 23 TDs, 12 INTs, and a QB rating of 141.6

2011 - 56%, 2089, 13 TDs, 8 INTs, and a 126.5 QB rating

I credit a lot of Taylor's progress to simply being in one offensive system. This being his third year, my hopes/expectations are high.

I agree that had something to do with it, but Martinez' pocket presence and mechanics were notably better this last season. He certainly had his moments, but his foot work and decision-making were two things that really stood out to me.

What stood out to me as the season went on was Taylor's ability to scramble after he went through his checks. It just seems as the year went on there were a lot of 7-8 yard roll out scrambles. I hope to see more of that, its what kills our D and I finally saw it start to kill other D's later in the year. Also good for Taylor to head back to Calhoun, shows some serious commitment.

• Fire 1

Stats alone tell the tale.

2012 - 62%, 2871 yards, 23 TDs, 12 INTs, and a QB rating of 141.6

2011 - 56%, 2089, 13 TDs, 8 INTs, and a 126.5 QB rating

I don't think he'll quite reach 70% this season, but he shouldn't be too far off that based on how much he improved from his sophomore to junior year. I can see him breaking the 3,000 yard mark through the air with all the talent we have at receiver and how much the offense has leaned in that direction given Taylor's improvements. I believe he will limit the INTs, but I have no idea about the fumbles. He hasn't improved much in that category since he became the starter.

For 2013, I would bet Taylor's stats will end up looking something like this:

-68% - 3,000 yards - 25 TD - 9 INTs

Not a huge move in terms of improvement, but an improvement nonetheless.

We have playmakers at receiver. Obviously. I think Beck will do the best he can to get the ball into their hands more this fall. We should work that zone read / play action game until anyone proves they can stop it. I would be shocked if we didn't see more shorter, safer passes this season too.

The sky is the limit for Taylor this year if he indeed takes another step towards becoming an elite quarterback. It's his senior year. He's surrounded by the best receivers in school history as well as a stable of capable running backs to take some of the pressure off of him.

• Fire 1

How about this guy? Ripped by the press (one of the more notorious hatchet jobs in local media in recent history), ripped by his coach on live national TV, had all the reason in the world to pack it in and act like a prima donna asshat QB based on his talent and crazy speed.

Instead he's humble, does his interviews despite clearly not being comfortable with them, guts out the latter half of his Freshman year with a major injury that lingers through his sophomore campaign, beats Michigan last year on half a leg and Michigan State while recovering from the same injury - without his all-everything Superman RB 2/3 of the season, and on top of that he gives up his Spring Break his Junior and Senior season to go practice at playing a position he's clearly not a natural at, despite being routinely ripped by about half the fan base for reasons good and not-so-good, and will walk out of here with every major offensive record under his belt in a storied school dripping with tradition and excellence, yet remains humble and approachable despite a debilitating shyness.

Taylor Martinez isn't Tommie Frazier, Turner Gill, Eric Crouch, Scott Frost or even Steve Taylor. He isn't Dave Humm. But despite all the obstacles put in his way he's been one of the biggest character guys on this team four years running.

So many things I'd change about him, but warts and all, he's our Claire Lee Chennault.

And damnit if I'm not glad that man is on our side.

• Fire 7

How about this guy? Ripped by the press (one of the more notorious hatchet jobs in local media in recent history), ripped by his coach on live national TV, had all the reason in the world to pack it in and act like a prima donna asshat QB based on his talent and crazy speed.

Instead he's humble, does his interviews despite clearly not being comfortable with them, guts out the latter half of his Freshman year with a major injury that lingers through his sophomore campaign, beats Michigan last year on half a leg and Michigan State while recovering from the same injury - without his all-everything Superman RB 2/3 of the season, and on top of that he gives up his Spring Break his Junior and Senior season to go practice at playing a position he's clearly not a natural at, despite being routinely ripped by about half the fan base for reasons good and not-so-good, and will walk out of here with every major offensive record under his belt in a storied school dripping with tradition and excellence, yet remains humble and approachable despite a debilitating shyness.

Taylor Martinez isn't Tommie Frazier, Turner Gill, Eric Crouch, Scott Frost or even Steve Taylor. He isn't Dave Humm. But despite all the obstacles put in his way he's been one of the biggest character guys on this team four years running.

So many things I'd change about him, but warts and all, he's our Claire Lee Chennault.

And damnit if I'm not glad that man is on our side.

GXB12600.JPG4e3c50f1adac4_image.jpg