Permanent Starting Captains for 2013 Season

According to Dirk Chatelain's Mad Chatter June 7th report on Omaha World Herald's website, he included in his blog that Matt Davison is reporting that Bo Pelini will finally use permanent captains this season. Here is the link to Dirk's Mad Chatter: http://sports.omaha.com/2013/06/07/mad-chatter-june-7/#.UbI07-CkLjQ

I for one have been beating this drum for the past few years, and consider this a very welcome change for our Cornhuskers.

I ... consider this a very welcome change for our Cornhuskers.

Agreed! I never understood the alternating Captains thing. I'm glad we're going to permanent season-long Captains.

Now if he'd just hand out the Blackshirts after the starting lineup is announced for the first game, I'll be even happier.

What knapp said^^^

Permanent captains-the first half of the daily double. Then give em the blackshirts before first game and expect/have faith that they'll live up to it. Both these things can only foster team leadership qualities that have appeared to be largely missing these past few seasons.

What knapp said^^^

Permanent captains-the first half of the daily double. Then give em the blackshirts before first game and expect/have faith that they'll live up to it. Both these things can only foster team leadership qualities that have appeared to be largely missing these past few seasons.

And it'll force the D to work their ass off and earn those blackshirts during fall practice, not wait 6 games into the season to finally earn them.

• Fire 1

Agreed! I never understood the alternating Captains thing. I'm glad we're going to permanent season-long Captains.

Now if he'd just hand out the Blackshirts after the starting lineup is announced for the first game, I'll be even happier.

Man I am right there with you on the Blackshirts Knapp. I firmly believe the coaches should had out only 11 Blackshirts before the first game. If another player wants a Blackshirt that's fine...EARN IT!

If a Blackshirt player in Week 1 isn't playing up to Nebraska defense expectations...simply strip him of his Blackshirt and hand it to the next guy on the depth chart. If the player wants that Blackshirt back...EARN IT!

What knapp said^^^

And it'll force the D to work their ass off and earn those blackshirts during fall practice, not wait 6 games into the season a whole season to finally earn them and then be given them in pity.

I agree but fixed it up for mo better.

Man I am right there with you on the Blackshirts Knapp. I firmly believe the coaches should had out only 11 Blackshirts before the first game. If another player wants a Blackshirt that's fine...EARN IT!

If a Blackshirt player in Week 1 isn't playing up to Nebraska defense expectations...simply strip him of his Blackshirt and hand it to the next guy on the depth chart. If the player wants that Blackshirt back...EARN IT!

Though I've been on the "It's Bo's team, he can do what he wants" train, I do tend to think it should be this way. However, the number would probably have to be 13-15, simply because we dont stay in a 4-3 exclusively, and I think the #1 nickel and dimers should also be rewarded.

I never got the Blackshirt reward system. At the end of the day, it's a practice jersey and all it's supposed to signify is the first team defense, not some goal of what a defense should be. Plus, if it were me, it'd me much more jarring to have Blackshirts revoked than handed out.

Though I've been on the "It's Bo's team, he can do what he wants" train, I do tend to think it should be this way. However, the number would probably have to be 13-15, simply because we dont stay in a 4-3 exclusively, and I think the #1 nickel and dimers should also be rewarded.

Having maybe 13 blackshirts isn't unheard of McBride generally had a couple of extra guys that earned blackshirts but weren't starters.