Permanent Starting Captains for 2013 Season

Jason Peter has a point

https://twitter.com/...202199549120514

Captns in June & HC is pickn em?R starters 4 week 1 b-ng named Sunday?Leadrs arise when 0 ppl r in the stands and it's 110*! team shld pick

F#$k Jason Peter....dude was popping steroids when he was here, didn't work for anything he got, that become evident once he hit the NFL. Anything that douche was has to say about the program I believe the opposite of.

You may not like the guy, but saying he didn't work for anything he got? Give me a break. The guy was a consensus All-American for us. He was playing well in the NFL until his injury. He was a hell of a lot better than anything we've seen on the D-line in the last 10 years other than Suh. Is he critical of Pelini? Sure. But so is Benning; he's just more politically correct in how he goes about it and he's much more articulate and polished. It's not like the defensive "genius" coach of ours hasn't made it easy for folks to criticize. At least this is a step in the right direction, assuming the players elected the captains.

Jason Peter has a point

https://twitter.com/...202199549120514

Captns in June & HC is pickn em?R starters 4 week 1 b-ng named Sunday?Leadrs arise when 0 ppl r in the stands and it's 110*! team shld pick

F#$k Jason Peter....dude was popping steroids when he was here, didn't work for anything he got, that become evident once he hit the NFL. Anything that douche was has to say about the program I believe the opposite of.

My favorite thing about Jason Peter was how he was fired by 1620 2 months after starting because he was that intolerable to everyone. Kindly fade away into whatever drug-crazed oblivion you feel best, Jason. It isn't 1995 anymore.

Thats not what happened ...at all...yes he was abrasive but he was not fired at all

What knapp said^^^

Permanent captains-the first half of the daily double. Then give em the blackshirts before first game and expect/have faith that they'll live up to it. Both these things can only foster team leadership qualities that have appeared to be largely missing these past few seasons.

And it'll force the D to work their ass off and earn those blackshirts during fall practice, not wait 6 games into the season to finally earn them.

And what happens if the Blackshirts are handed out before the season begins and we lose a game or barely win a game against a mediocre opponent because our defense didn't play so well?

100 people will flame the board about how the Blackshirts need to be taken away. A repetitive cycle.

I do applaud the picking permanent captains before the season begins.

Well hopefully Bo and the team are not making any decisions based on how some on this board may react. I too hope they award the blackshirts before the first game and if they play like the pinkskirts and cost us a game we should win, I don't think it too out of line for message board posters to be screaming that they should be taken away. I'll say it now; I expect to be undefeated going into the CCG.

I think the Blackshirts should be handed out at the start of the season as well to guys that held No. 1 spots on the depth chart last year and who maintained that status after fall camp. Players who earned No. 1 spots for the first time in fall camp should also get Blackshirts. And you could definitely include a couple special team guys, punter return man for instance, and a few guys who are in No. 1 spots on the nickel and dime. Players that are in the this guy OR that guy OR that guy list should not get Blackshirts. The whole idea is that you are understood to be the best guy at your position. May not seem fair if there is a log jam of talent at MLB and nobody worth a crap at CB, but having a standard is more important than applying a band aid to boo boos in the ego department. Also, yanking blackshirts does nothing. Coach 'Em up and and ecourage them to live up to the "Blackshirt" tradition.

I think the Blackshirts should be handed out at the start of the season as well to guys that held No. 1 spots on the depth chart last year and who maintained that status after fall camp. Players who earned No. 1 spots for the first time in fall camp should also get Blackshirts. And you could definitely include a couple special team guys, punter return man for instance, and a few guys who are in No. 1 spots on the nickel and dime. Players that are in the this guy OR that guy OR that guy list should not get Blackshirts. The whole idea is that you are understood to be the best guy at your position. May not seem fair if there is a log jam of talent at MLB and nobody worth a crap at CB, but having a standard is more important than applying a band aid to boo boos in the ego department. Also, yanking blackshirts does nothing. Coach 'Em up and and ecourage them to live up to the "Blackshirt" tradition.

i don't.....

I...

um. i literally have no clue if this is serious or not.

i don't.....

I...

um. i literally have no clue if this is serious or not.

Well I agree with his last sentence. Other than that...

I think its unanimous, we all love the idea of permanent captains. It was much needed.

I also believe that giving the blackshirts week 1 to only the starters +the nickel dime guys is the best way to go. Use is as a way to inspire competition and build the depth of the scout team. Some guys will whine about not getting one, and others will push harder to earn it. It could teach you a lot about how a guy faces adversity....and we all know the importance of mental toughness to a football team.

Guessing that naming permanent captains and naming them early is about adding leadership, especially through the summer where coaches can't be keeping guys in line themselves. Hope it gets the desired results.

As far as handing-out the blackshirts goes I'd say coaches should go with their guts on how this D is going to do out of the gate. If they'll hold-up then just get it over with and show confidence in the D. But it will add pressure and draw criticism if they have the shirts at the start and are getting gouged. Next year might be the year to hand them out early, should be good out of the gate in '14.

This sounds like a refreshing change. Leadership has been a major talking point in the program recently, and not just from fans, but players as well. The way I look at it, leadership skills exist in certain individuals, and some leaders are better than others. If I'm going into battle, I'm looking for those select one or two guys that I will follow every single week. While the rotating captains doesn't change who is and isn't a leader, I think it's a more definitive statement when one guy or two guys get that captain badge and are looked at in this role every single week. I associate it with the military. Although I've never been, I wouldn't want to follow one Captain into battle one week, but be told Joe Schmo has been made honorary Captain the next week and has all the same priveleges. It doesn't make sense, at least not to me.

As for the blackshirts, I think they should be given at the beginning. They're for the starters, plain and simple. They're not an achievement to be earned during the season. While the blackshirt reputation stands for excellence, you're not required to be excellent to have one - you're just required to be a starter. When you postpone handing them out, you put them on a bigger pedestal. And, as we've seen the last couple of years, you hand these shirts out and things go massively wrong the next week. Hand them out at the beginning of the season and you avoid putting them on such a big pedestal.