New field turf for 2013

They were loading dumptrucks with those rolls of the old stuff this morning. I should just go ask one of the workers if he will cut a little piece for me.

I just asked one of them. He said, "They told us it's our jobs if we let anyone near this stuff." So no, that's not likely to happen. I asked them where those trucks were headed once they left the stadium and this guy just smiled at me and said, "They've already dug a hole, and they're going to dump these rolls in and cover it with dirt right away."

So the chances of getting a piece of that turf are pretty much slim and none. I'd have taken a whole roll but I don't know if the entire offensive line could carry one. They're pretty heavy, and full of sand and rubber.

I really wanted to get in there and get a picture of the stadium with no turf, but they had it pretty well blocked off/guarded. Nobody in or out.

Well maybe we should just follow the dumptrucks!

But in all seriousness, the AD could have cut up 6 inch squares of the stuff and sold it at $15 a pop. I would've bought one. Im obviously not taking into account the labor aspect of it, but it seems like a pretty easy way to make money.

And I also feel like that guy is full of sh#t with his hole story.

They were loading dumptrucks with those rolls of the old stuff this morning. I should just go ask one of the workers if he will cut a little piece for me.

I just asked one of them. He said, "They told us it's our jobs if we let anyone near this stuff." So no, that's not likely to happen. I asked them where those trucks were headed once they left the stadium and this guy just smiled at me and said, "They've already dug a hole, and they're going to dump these rolls in and cover it with dirt right away."

So the chances of getting a piece of that turf are pretty much slim and none. I'd have taken a whole roll but I don't know if the entire offensive line could carry one. They're pretty heavy, and full of sand and rubber.

I really wanted to get in there and get a picture of the stadium with no turf, but they had it pretty well blocked off/guarded. Nobody in or out.

But in all seriousness, the AD could have cut up 6 inch squares of the stuff and sold it at $15 a pop. I would've bought one. Im obviously not taking into account the labor aspect of it, but it seems like a pretty easy way to make money.

If I didn't have plans this afternoon I would. Totally serious.

I'd be surprised if they actually just buried it. There is a high school here in St. Louis that bought the Superdome's old turf for either their game field or practice field. Since the athletic department isn't trying to profit from it with souvenirs, I would guess they sold the field to some school. I think I remember them having a process to revitalize a used field with more rubber or something.

If I didn't have plans this afternoon I would. Totally serious.

I would as well. It really is crazy they are going to the extent they are to be secret about it.

The trucks are gone. There's just a bit of the turf left, otherwise it's just undersurfacing. RIP, big green rug. You were fun while you lasted.

The trucks hauling away the old soldier.

DSCF5202.jpg

The sand and rubber debris that fell off the turf as it was being loaded.

DSCF5207.jpg

The empty field. Big Pic warning.

dscf5212_copy.jpg

EDIT - Not sure why the naked field isn't showing as a large pic. It's twice the size of my screen here at the casa. Maybe PhotoBucket is resizing it. <_<

EDIT II Electric Boogaloo - used a different image host. Hopefully this works.

• Fire 1

Why do you feel that way?

Pros outweigh any cons:

• Maintenance-free
  • Reduces injury - NOT TRUE
  • More consistent playing surface, especially in inclement weather - You know Lambeau Field, Mile High Stadium, Philly Eagles, Owen Field (OU), Heinz Field (Steelers), etc. all natural grass

"42% Lower anterior cruciate ligament trauma. 32% Fewer ligament tears. 74% Fewer muscle tears."

"10% Less injury during inclement weather (rain, snow, sleet). 42% Less injury during no precipitation, wet field conditions. 24% Lower incidence of injury during games played under hot weather conditions."

http://www.fieldturf...fer-than-grass/

The peer-reviewed study is published in the American Journal of Sports Medicine.

You know FedEx field is also all natural grass.

carrollfield113a.jpg

The maintenance costs alone will be enough to make field turf pretty exclusive before long. No water needed. That's a huge thing. Grass may be pretty, but the costs to maintain it have to be ridiculous. I know what it costs between water and fertilizer and time to keep my measley 10,000 sq foot lawn nice. As time goes by and things like water resources and fertilizers become more and more stringent, the beauty of natural grass sports fields are going to become less and less of a priority.

Put me on the natural grass side. I just love the smell and look so much more. However, I realize that is never gonna happen at NU. I will say though, the Field Turf makes it so much more tolerable, at least it looks more like the real thing. I REALLY hated that old astro turf stuff. It was so ugly and why they couldn't ever get it in a more natural turf color is beyond me.

Moving forward, I wish Field Turf looked a little more like the real thing, it's almost too perfect looking as it is.