Future Offensive Coordinators

Chip Kelly

it will be interesting to see how his career plays out. this does make sense. but i think he would rather be a head coach at a second-tier school rather than oc at a top-tier school.

Even if he flounders in the NFL, I don't see it being a problem for him to get a head coaching gig at a top-tier school.

to everyone else: i know nostalgia is great, but why all the faith in scott frost already as oc, let alone head coach?

same reason i had/have confidence in Darin Erstad as a head coach. He was raised right, understands the culture, and is made of and stands for all the right things. Plus, he's been a student of the game since day one.

seems like there could be a lot of potential coaches who would meet that criteria. that does not mean they should all inspire confidence. all i am saying is that i would like to see someone point to something frost has accomplished as a coach that demonstrates a person's confidence in him.

also, baseball is a little different in that the stakes are not so high.

Oh, come on Landlord. Being raised right and knowing the culture might make a Husker coach popular in the offseason. But if he doesn't win, it won't matter. If John the Baptist was our head coach and he lost seven games, his head would be on a platter before kickoff of the Famous Idaho Potato Bowl. And people would be dancing after the beheading, not before.

:lol:

i-see-what-you-did-there-300x237.jpg

He asked "why the faith in scott frost", not "why the concrete knowledge based on overwhelming evidence" or something of the nature.

I have faith in his ability because of those things. Because you either have "it" or you don't, and "it" isn't X's and O's knowledge, which can be learned (also mentioned that Scott has been a student of football all his life).

Might I be wrong? Hell yeah. That's why it's faith :)

Fair enough. As you might have guessed, "faith" is the reason I worked John the Baptist into my response.

:lol:

Chip Kelly

it will be interesting to see how his career plays out. this does make sense. but i think he would rather be a head coach at a second-tier school rather than oc at a top-tier school.

Even if he flounders in the NFL, I don't see it being a problem for him to get a head coaching gig at a top-tier school.

Your absolutely right, Nick Saban did poorly in the NFL and then went to Bama, and well we all know what has happened since. Chip Kelly will end up somewhere like Clemson, or another team on that level in the next few years.

And I honestly would mind seeing the fat man, Mark Mangino calling plays here. Look what he did at KU. The guy knows offense and how to coach it, plus I am sure Beck learned a lot from him and that Mangino's play calling wouldn't differ that much from Beck's play calling now

He asked "why the faith in scott frost", not "why the concrete knowledge based on overwhelming evidence" or something of the nature.

I have faith in his ability because of those things. Because you either have "it" or you don't, and "it" isn't X's and O's knowledge, which can be learned (also mentioned that Scott has been a student of football all his life).

Might I be wrong? Hell yeah. That's why it's faith :)

when responding to your response, i realized that 'faith' probably was not the best word. i think i switched to confidence, or optimism, in his abilities. i think we are on the same page now.

Chip Kelly

i agree. why not try the nfl, especially when it looked like your program might be in trouble and most schools would take a chance on him because they are not worried about starting over in three years if it does not work out.

Scott Frost is an OC now as we speak. I would have to axe that option as well. His next move will be for Head Coach. Especially since at the moment, Oregon is a destination over Nebraska.

It will be another promotion from within. We've seen enough-good and bad-to know that's how Bo's gonna do things. It's his way of keeping some sort of continuity and rewarding buys for loyalty and hard work, which in the long run may very well pay off. It could very well turn into a deal that guys like Beck and Joseph in the future will want to stay because of that.

I could see Scott moving laterally to Nebraska. I could absolutely see that.

I don't, especially when we didn't give him a shot before.

While taking the OC position at Nebraska would be a lateral move in title I don't think that it would necessarily be viewed that way by SF or anyone looking at his resume either. I imagine that Helfrich will be calling the plays for the forseeable future. Frost is going to be for Helfrich what Shawn Watson was to Callahan. I don't see Frost being able to prove himself as a play caller at Oregon while MH is the head coach there. In addition I'm sure that Nebraska would pony up the money to get a guy with experience as OC in that system here.

As far as Pelini and Frost not seeing eye to eye, I don't know anything about that. If that is the case then I think that would be the only thing keeping Frost from coming back here as OC if he had the chance.

Frost did or said some things not too long ago that rubbed Tom Osborne and/or Bo Pelini the wrong way not too long ago. Maybe it was during the supposed "OC search" before Beck's promotion was made official. I cant remember, but I read it on this board somewhere, and then heard it mumbled about from the person I know who's seldom wrong and seems to be in the know on a lot somehow or another.

In addition to my last post - Scott knows that if he wants to end up being the head guy here, it won't be easy if he doesn't come up from already being on the coaching staff.

How many head coaches have we had in the last 50 years - five. An average of one coach per ten years. If he stays outside the program, the timing will have to be perfect and the window won't be big. But if he came in as coordinator, and was content waiting the way that Frank did, he knows that job is his.

Bingo!! I think that's the way it would have to work out for Scott to come here. He may have a long wait, if he does. That's up to Bo. If any of you think he is going to start to lose 6, 7 games a year, your not watching the same coach I am. Winning 9-10 games a year is not going to get him fired. Losing Conf championships is not going to get him fired, not even the blow outs. Forget the out of conf schedule, weak or not. As long as the fans are filling the stadium, Bo will be here. He will get it going in mho, soon as gets more players that fit the style of the B1G. Don't want to here about Hoke, or Urban they had B1G kids already in place. GBR!!!

My guess is if Beck were to leave in the next couple of seasons there would be a big push by the University to get Frost here as the OC. Mark Helfrich made $367,538 last year as the OC he is going to make $1.8MM this year to be the head coach. Tim Beck just had a salary increase to $700,000 from $365,000. The money is there to make him a solid offer. Also like some had said this may be a lateral move in title, but I think most would see it as an increase in responsabilites. They could also slap on a head coach in waiting or asst head coach title to make it a little more title appealing.