Kirk Ferentz makes the list._____Of five worst coaches. lol

NUance

That Orange Bowl victory has been a springboard to losses against horrible Central Michigan, Iowa State (2x), and Minnesota (2x) teams as well as not even one winning record in Big Ten play. The last three seasons in Iowa City have been magical.

That one's not as bad as it used to be. Granted they're not world beaters, but Rhoads gets his teams ready to play with just about anyone. You gotta show up when you play them these days, we found that one out the hard way.

A slew of Hawkeye fans rally to Ferentz's defense:

@slmandel @pgahawk Did everyone else have Ferentz's track record going into the 27-29 stretch? Top five dumbest column I've ever read.

@slmandel @LiquorDowntown Sadly you have exposed yourself on Ferentz. Check fundraising, graduation rates, past Iowa coaches and sim skools

@slmandel in KF defense with injuries and some bad luck not the best record! However you remain the worst sports writer in SI history.

LINK

I'm glad they support him. Personally, I hope Ferentz has a nice long career at Iowa. :lol:

I hate Ferentz's in game decisions, such as taking a knee to play anOSU in overtime instead of throwing it down the field for miracle fg. But I read Iowa is one of the top programs for getting wins without highly rated recruits (ND was at the bottom of that list as Weis was coaching). Schools like Iowa need to wait until they get a team of healthy upper classmen and then they can try to sneak into a Jan bowl.

The real killer for Iowa, however, is the buyout, which is set at 75% of his remaining salary, paid monthly. So if Iowa wants to go another route for its head coach, that’s fine. It’ll just owe Ferentz about a quarter-million dollars a month.

Every month.

Until January of 2020.”

LINK

Ha ha! It's probably a good thing the Iowa fans love Ferentz. It would cost them a fortune to fire him. About $18 million if they fire him this season. :lol:

I hate Ferentz's in game decisions, such as taking a knee to play anOSU in overtime instead of throwing it down the field for miracle fg.

I think in 2010 or 2011 I watched 2-3 Iowa games (there were teams I wanted them to beat... I can't remember who or why). THREE different times, they had 4th and 1 plays and tried to run up to the line quick and snap it when the defense wasn't ready. All 3 times they weren't set long enough and were called for a 5 yard penalty. I've considered him an idiot ever since then and that was before they had the horrible season last year.

The real killer for Iowa, however, is the buyout, which is set at 75% of his remaining salary, paid monthly. So if Iowa wants to go another route for its head coach, that’s fine. It’ll just owe Ferentz about a quarter-million dollars a month.

Every month.

Until January of 2020.”

LINK

Ha ha! It's probably a good thing the Iowa fans love Ferentz. It would cost them a fortune to fire him. About $18 million if they fire him this season. :lol:

that is so unfathomable. who the hell negotiated that contract? i get wanting to keep your coach, but was that necessary for iowa to keep ferentz? i do not remember him ever being a hot commodity and with that money you could pretty much hire whoever.

a quarter-million a month, unbelievable.

Iowa fans seem to cling to their Orange Bowl victory just like Colorado fans cling to a single game in 2001 (which I only vaguely remember): you can't have a conversation about quality football without them bringing up that one game as if it defined their program for all time. Man, those guys need to get out of the past!

Now excuse me, I'm gonna resume looking up highlights of 1995.

• Fire 1

Every month.

Until January of 2020.”

LINK

The buyout is exactly why Ferentz isn't going anywhere. Ferentz is overpaid and over hyped.