Hit Duluth. 2nd to none in September for scenery. Lots of stuff to do around the north shore. And it's not expensive.

I spent three years as a traveling auditor and Duluth was one of my "finds" of places that I was surprised by how much I enjoyed it. I have wanted to go back. Scary cold though from Nov-April

Another idea that wouldn't break the bank would be Colorado. I'm thinking ski resort areas like Breckenridge or Keystone (google Summit county) or even Estes Park. September would be non prime time for those. Plenty to see and do. The Blackhills was also a good suggestion, lots to do and not real expensive.

Has anyone been to D.C.?

I've been there many times on both business and pleasure. It is expensive compared to vacation spots in the midwest. I just took my elderly father back Memorial Day so he could see Arlington National, the Memorials, US Capitol Tour, and the Smithsonian. Those venues are all free but the extras, food and lodging are higher than average and my Dad would have been intimidated with the pace and public transportation system. You've got to do DC sometime in your lifetime though.

I'd throw in a road trip south to Oklahoma City, DFW, Austin, and end up in San Antonio. So many things to see up and down the I-35 corridor and inexpensive.

The anniversary is in September, so I suggested a Husker game. Well, that's not going to work for her.

And you've been putting up with this for 5 years?

I say trick her take her to an away husker game and just call it a show lol. Another good spot to go to is Dauphin Island Alabama. It's a small island in the Gulf that's about 30 minute drive to Mobile and Gulf Shores if you take the ferry ride. Museums and plenty of shopping in both locations. Plus Dauphin Island isn't very populated so really quiet and relaxing.

http://www.alabama.travel/places-to-go/dauphin-island?gclid=CNO_0ZOeyLgCFSVgMgodExUAXg

You can never go wrong with a cruise. Food and entertainment are included. Stop at Nassau or where ever and walk around and check things out. You don't even have to buy anything. There are a lot of get on boat Friday and get off Monday morning cruises. They are fairly cheap. Your biggest expense will be flying to get on the boat.

You can never go wrong with a cruise. Food and entertainment are included. Stop at Nassau or where ever and walk around and check things out. You don't even have to buy anything. There are a lot of get on boat Friday and get off Monday morning cruises. They are fairly cheap. Your biggest expense will be flying to get on the boat.

. . . and paying for all those drinks that you don't remember.

. . . and paying for all those drinks that you don't remember.

true, you do have to buy your booze, but I didn't find the drink prices to be any higher than going to a bar.

The Black Hills are great! I've done a lot a field work there. Love the place. But don't go there right now IMO. Sturgis is just around the corner and there is bound to be about thousands of bikers all over the place. You will not be able to escape the sight and sound of motorcycles littering the cities and roads. So unless motocycles are your thing I'd recommend September in the Black Hills. Few tourists, the temperature is great. Fall comes a little quicker in the Hills then the rest of the Great Plains, so you'll have some nice colors as well.

You can hit all the places and then some that sd'sker mentioned. Though I'd skip on the Crazy Horse Memorial. It's not even close to finished so save your money IMO and look at it from HWY 16 between Hill City and Custer. Deadwead, the wildlife, the scenery, the caves (Wind Cave and Jewel Cave are fun), the small towns. There's plenty to do, especially with kids if you have any.

The only down side may be when you can or want to go. Like I said, I'd go during September. But then football season is underway, so the during the week (M-F) would be the time.

Not sure what price commitment you are willing to make, but all inclusives in Playa del Carmen are pretty decently priced, and the area is beautiful.

It's about 1/2 hour South of Cancun. You can easily get 5 nights, all food, all drinks, nightly shows, and airfare for less than $1750 coming out of Omaha. The people working the resorts speak average to not-so-good English, but are friendly good people.

Expedia has a Groupon section that sometimes has outrageous deals on these trips, often 10-25% off the above mentioned price. I've seen two people at 4 nights for $900, but only once. look here