Subbing in Tommy Armstrong this year?

I might even toy with the idea of starting the kid (Tommy) against South Dakota State. Give Taylor the week off. It is basically a bye week for us. That might be being presumtuous I realize. Maybe we could play Taylor for a couple series and treat the game like it's an NFL preseason tilt.

Do you not remember how the last game against SDSU went for us? Start Taylor every single game, and only put in TA when the game is in hand.

Exactly my thoughts, was far from a "bye week".

TA can get reps when we have a comfortable lead.

Rembering the Cody Green one first half series experiment three years ago and his fumble inside the 10 yard line of the washington game.

But the experiment was successful because we discovered Green couldn't handle that kind of situation.

I'm fine with Armstrong getting tested early in a game when it's still a game. If it's only during a comfortable lead then it's not much more useful than a scrimmage.

• Fire 1

Rembering the Cody Green one first half series experiment three years ago and his fumble inside the 10 yard line of the washington game.

But the experiment was successful because we discovered Green couldn't handle that kind of situation.

I'm fine with Armstrong getting tested early in a game when it's still a game. If it's only during a comfortable lead then it's not much more useful than a scrimmage.

True. I guess i still have a bad taste in my mouth.

I am very excited about Tommy, but im more excited to see where taylor takes this offense this season.

True. I guess i still have a bad taste in my mouth.

I am very excited about Tommy, but im more excited to see where taylor takes this offense this season.

At the time it kind of ticked me off, because it was at a point in Taylor's career when he needed every rep he could get.

That's not the case now. If they want to get Armstrong some meaningful snaps, that's kind of a luxury.

Does anyone remember Cody Green at all? We ruined his confidence by doing this. Putting him in at the 1 yard line to get him experience with the 1s, only to watch him fumble? Hope we learned our lesson from that. We actually did that quite a bit in the first half of games until Taylor took over for good.

Does anyone remember Cody Green at all? We ruined his confidence by doing this. Putting him in at the 1 yard line to get him experience with the 1s, only to watch him fumble? Hope we learned our lesson from that.

Does anyone ever consider the possibility that he was just bad because he was bad?

Cue the "he was undefeated as a starter" person who decides not to mention that in all/most of those games he barely played or never scored or Lee had to be brought in when things were on the line.

Does anyone remember Cody Green at all? We ruined his confidence by doing this. Putting him in at the 1 yard line to get him experience with the 1s, only to watch him fumble? Hope we learned our lesson from that.

Does anyone ever consider the possibility that he was just bad because he was bad?

Cue the "he was undefeated as a starter" person who decides not to mention that in all/most of those games he barely played or never scored or Lee had to be brought in when things were on the line.

ya he wasnt that good, but thats not what i was saying. Just pointing out that we tried that and it didnt turn out so good. I wouldnt mind him getting a series if we had a slight lead, and in control of the game in the first half, but to put someone on the goal line like that was just stupid

ya he wasnt that good, but thats not what i was saying. Just pointing out that we tried that and it didnt turn out so good. I wouldnt mind him getting a series if we had a slight lead, and in control of the game in the first half, but to put someone on the goal line like that was just stupid

......but it turned out bad because the guy sucked. simple as that. its silly to not get your backups as much playing time as possible!

Armstrong will not get reps, UNLESS we have a very comfortable lead, and the game is basically decided. Fisher was quoted on a site saying such a thing. It was along the lines of "Why would we risk losing a game to get someone reps, unless we were in a comfortable lead". IMO, the only time we will see Armstrong in conference play, is the 4th quarter, with maybe 7 minutes left.

Armstrong will not get reps, UNLESS we have a very comfortable lead, and the game is basically decided. Fisher was quoted on a site saying such a thing. It was along the lines of "Why would we risk losing a game to get someone reps, unless we were in a comfortable lead". IMO, the only time we will see Armstrong in conference play, is the 4th quarter, with maybe 7 minutes left.

He should get some good reps vs Wyoming, Southern Miss, and South Dakota St.

I don't know why a number of people are asking to put in Armstrong when the game would be in doubt. Name any other team where they have a clear cut no. 1 QB that does that. You can't, because no one does that. In 2010 when Green would come in it was because, as someone said before, Martinez wasn't miles above Green or Lee. Green's confidence was shot since the Oklahoma game in '09, and frankly he ended up not being a good fit here. But he has done OK with Tulsa (winning the conference championship last year).

I get that you want the backups to get playing time, but I expect the only time we see Armstrong in is in the 4th Quarter when we have at least a 3-4 TD lead.