****Fall Camp Twitter Thread**** aka the RG44 love fest

Terrible news about Williams. Was hoping good things for him after last year. With unproven guys and depth his loss hurts.

Good news about Gregory, McMullen and Long. Hope the injury bug is gone

I feel like we havent heard very much about Anderson this fall. Interesting considering the spring he had. Props to Banderas coming on strong as a FR to grab some reps

Yea Lo, sh**ty news and bad news at the same time. Still, some guys are really gonna have to step up at DT. This defense is not ever going to work without somebody making things happen at DT. Period. Who's gonna be the guy I wonder.

Also iowahusker09, I think ZA is a lock for a starting job. I don't think there's even a question. Sometimes I think the less we hear about some guys it seems to be the better. IMO, there's no way ZA isn't a starting LB'er this season. Question is where? I heard he was working outside but then I also heard possible move to inside LB? I like him at MLB honestly.

My post was basically a run on sentence. Those were two separate, unrelated statements. I blame my ADD. I believe Zaire will be one of our premier players in our front 7

Anyway, you want ZA in the middle and throw santos in the will?

So Oregonhusker, I was really excited about Rose out of high school, can we expect to see quite a few reps from him this year?

Living in Iowa City and have been to Lincoln only a handful of times, its hard to get inside info. All I have is huskerboard and 1620 podcasts haha

Edited by iowahusker09

True freshmen Josh Banderas and Nate Gerry continue to seem in line for early playing time. Pelini said Gerry’s working at linebacker/dime — in dime, he’d be playing close to the line of scrimmage and helping the Huskers out in coverage — while Banderas appears to be making a strong push to start at Mike linebacker. And that’s not just because the Lincoln Southwest product is an elite athlete.

“We’re putting a lot on him and throwing a lot at him,” Pelini said. “The thing I’m most excited about Josh is, I know he can run, but he’s physical. He’s showing tremendous instincts for the position. It hasn’t been too big for him, for somebody plays Mike linebacker and has to make a lot of calls — do a lot of things — we put a lot on him. And he’s handled it extremely well. He’s going to be a really good football player.”

OWH Article

True freshmen Josh Banderas and Nate Gerry continue to seem in line for early playing time. Pelini said Gerry’s working at linebacker/dime — in dime, he’d be playing close to the line of scrimmage and helping the Huskers out in coverage — while Banderas appears to be making a strong push to start at Mike linebacker. And that’s not just because the Lincoln Southwest product is an elite athlete.

“We’re putting a lot on him and throwing a lot at him,” Pelini said. “The thing I’m most excited about Josh is, I know he can run, but he’s physical. He’s showing tremendous instincts for the position. It hasn’t been too big for him, for somebody plays Mike linebacker and has to make a lot of calls — do a lot of things — we put a lot on him. And he’s handled it extremely well. He’s going to be a really good football player.”

OWH Article

If (and it's a big if) Banderas plays at MLB as a true frosh, maybe the general thinking that Pelini's D is too difficult to learn isn't quite correct.

Also, if Banderas starts at MLB, does Santos move to Will or Sam? Or does he backup Banderas?

OWH Article

If (and it's a big if) Banderas plays at MLB as a true frosh, maybe the general thinking that Pelini's D is too difficult to learn isn't quite correct.

Also, if Banderas starts at MLB, does Santos move to Will or Sam? Or does he backup Banderas?

I'd bank on Santos/Banderas/Zaire

OWH Article

Wondering the same things. I posted something a couple days ago that I wasn't sure Pelini's defense was as hard to grasp as it's made out to be. Examples including the vast improvement his first two years when everyone was new to the system and David and other JUCOs who've played early.

They think Santos is a natural Will but he's playing Mike right now because he knows the defense the best. If I had to guess, I would think Anderson would still be in the mix but maybe he moves to Buck for a Santos/Banderas/Anderson grouping. At any rate, sounds like we might see everyone get on the field quite a bit.

Pretty sure Gerry and Bando are roomies. Those late night convos about defensive schemes must be paying off. That sucks about Kevin Williams. Some guys just have really sh**ty luck. He always struck me as an underrated name at the position, and I was excited to see what he could do with healthy. While DT certainly is a thin position as of now, we do have a lot of unproven talent. Hopefully someone steps up.

All you have to do is watch the Penn State game last year to see how difficult Bo's D is to pick up. We had eight seniors on last year's DEF and in a November game they were still having trouble lining up play by play. Bo burned all three timeouts on defense in the first half.

If guys are picking it up fast enough to play as true Freshmen it means they're either really football smart or Bo dumbed it down to get them on the field.

• Fire 4

All you have to do is watch the Penn State game last year to see how difficult Bo's D is to pick up. We had eight seniors on last year's DEF and in a November game they were still having trouble lining up play by play. Bo burned all three timeouts on defense in the first half.

If guys are picking it up fast enough to play as true Freshmen it means they're either really football smart or Bo dumbed it down to get them on the field.

Or possibly both. Gerry and Banderas were lauded for having great instincts and I know they didn't dumb it down for Bando, they tried to throw a lot at him on purpose to see how he handled it. They are desperate to find a MLB

OWH Article

Yep, Bo says Banderas is "getting it" two weeks into FALL PRACTICE, that changes the countless number of times in history that Bo's scheme has been called overly complex. It's been said to be complex for 5 years now by a countless number of analysts, coaches and players, but two weeks into "fall camp" someone is "getting it" so I guess that changes everything.

Yes. This is the less sarcastic a-hole way of putting it. This is what I was trying to say, only I had my obvious d******d spin to it.

Terrible news about Williams. Was hoping good things for him after last year. With unproven guys and depth his loss hurts.

I feel like we havent heard very much about Anderson this fall. Interesting considering the spring he had. Props to Banderas coming on strong as a FR to grab some reps

Yea Lo, sh**ty news and bad news at the same time. Still, some guys are really gonna have to step up at DT. This defense is not ever going to work without somebody making things happen at DT. Period. Who's gonna be the guy I wonder.

Also iowahusker09, I think ZA is a lock for a starting job. I don't think there's even a question. Sometimes I think the less we hear about some guys it seems to be the better. IMO, there's no way ZA isn't a starting LB'er this season. Question is where? I heard he was working outside but then I also heard possible move to inside LB? I like him at MLB honestly.

Santos is MLB with Zaire and Afalava winging him, although Santos is a natural OLB. He is playing MLB because he knows the defense and calls best.

I think (ideally) they wanted Rose/Banderas to develop into a starting MLB and move everyone to where they play best - I think we will see quite a few backers on the field this year.

Hmm. I guess I don't know. I thought I had heard it put that Zaire maybe should be the guy making the calls. Not sure though. Honestly though, either guy there is a real upgrade from last year. I was not a WC fan. I also agree, I think there are a lot of LB'ers that will see some time this year. Kind of an exciting position this year, which is strange considering how weak it was last year.

Santos is MLB with Zaire and Afalava winging him, although Santos is a natural OLB. He is playing MLB because he knows the defense and calls best.

I think (ideally) they wanted Rose/Banderas to develop into a starting MLB and move everyone to where they play best - I think we will see quite a few backers on the field this year.

Hmm. I guess I don't know. I thought I had heard it put that Zaire maybe should be the guy making the calls. Not sure though. Honestly though, either guy there is a real upgrade from last year. I was not a WC fan. I also agree, I think there are a lot of LB'ers that will see some time this year. Kind of an exciting position this year, which is strange considering how weak it was last year.

one thing ill say about Compton is that he was awesome at reading/breaking up screens

OWH Article

I'd bank on Santos/Banderas/Zaire

Damn...........that'd be crazy to see Banderas starting at MLB.......I just don't see the size....

But hell....if he has the speed (which he does) and the tackling ability...I am for it.

I wonder where Afalava is on this whole mix......

I am almost certain this........

Just a hunch though.

Or possibly both. Gerry and Banderas were lauded for having great instincts and I know they didn't dumb it down for Bando, they tried to throw a lot at him on purpose to see how he handled it. They are desperate to find a MLB

What's up with Santos? Not handling it well? More natural outside?

Edit: Never mind on natural outside, you had already answered that. = )