****Fall Camp Twitter Thread**** aka the RG44 love fest

Say what you want about Compton, but the kid knew his sh#t on the field.

+1

Couldn't agree more! Had he been lighter on his feet, the kid would have done even better things that I imagined him to had done last year. When he was exploited, it wasn't off of mental errors, it was due to his lack of speed.

If his performance over the first the first two weeks of training camp is any indicator of what’s in store, expect undrafted free agent Will Compton to contend for the single season record for interceptions by a linebacker. Or in the short term make the 53-man roster.

Looks like he might be doing pretty good in camp.

http://blog.redskins.com/2013/08/08/will-compton-keeps-grinding-every-day/

Say what you want about Compton, but the kid knew his sh#t on the field.

+1

Couldn't agree more! Had he been lighter on his feet, the kid would have done even better things that I imagined him to had done last year. When he was exploited, it wasn't off of mental errors, it was due to his lack of speed.

If his performance over the first the first two weeks of training camp is any indicator of what’s in store, expect undrafted free agent Will Compton to contend for the single season record for interceptions by a linebacker. Or in the short term make the 53-man roster.

Looks like he might be doing pretty good in camp.

http://blog.redskins...ding-every-day/

Watched him in person last week when the Skins played the Titans. He was one of the smallest guys on the field, slow, constantly out of position, and just overmatched physically. He came in for two series and never came back. First game, but not a good showing. Roy, Niles, and Dejon all looked good though, especially Roy.

True freshmen Josh Banderas and Nate Gerry continue to seem in line for early playing time. Pelini said Gerry’s working at linebacker/dime — in dime, he’d be playing close to the line of scrimmage and helping the Huskers out in coverage — while Banderas appears to be making a strong push to start at Mike linebacker. And that’s not just because the Lincoln Southwest product is an elite athlete.

“We’re putting a lot on him and throwing a lot at him,” Pelini said. “The thing I’m most excited about Josh is, I know he can run, but he’s physical. He’s showing tremendous instincts for the position. It hasn’t been too big for him, for somebody plays Mike linebacker and has to make a lot of calls — do a lot of things — we put a lot on him. And he’s handled it extremely well. He’s going to be a really good football player.”

OWH Article

If (and it's a big if) Banderas plays at MLB as a true frosh, maybe the general thinking that Pelini's D is too difficult to learn isn't quite correct.

Also, if Banderas starts at MLB, does Santos move to Will or Sam? Or does he backup Banderas?

I think Banderas much like the Ruud brothers comes from a strong football background. His dad helped coach him when he was young. Some guys just get it figured out quicker. My hope is he gets on the field and contributes in a meaningful way. I think he will.....

I remember a particular episode of Big Red Wrap up when they Banderas on their recruiting segmant. Blake Lawrence proceeded to tell him how complicated Bo's book is and how much it took mentally to get dialed in. I specifically remember Banderas saying "bring it on. I'm ready to make a difference right away".

As far as Gerry goes, put him in the peso/nickel, and spy his ass on Braxton if we get to that point. How you like them apples Urb?

The biggest thing to remember about Bando in the whole "Bo dumbed down the defense" discussion, is that Josh had been studying the defense since last fall. He constantly was talking and working with Compton and Baker about the ins and outs of the scheme since he committed. Say what you want about Compton, but the kid knew his sh#t on the field.

I will, and not by the looks of it.

• Fire 1

I remember a particular episode of Big Red Wrap up when they Banderas on their recruiting segmant. Blake Lawrence proceeded to tell him how complicated Bo's book is and how much it took mentally to get dialed in. I specifically remember Banderas saying "bring it on. I'm ready to make a difference right away".

As far as Gerry goes, put him in the peso/nickel, and spy his ass on Braxton if we get to that point. How you like them apples Urb?

Unfortunately this word is not in Bo's vocabulary.

Maybe it hasnt been, but it might now now that he's got someone clearly capable to do so. I really believe that hasnt been the case the last couple years. Who woulda done it? Compton? Whaley? Stafford? Smith?

Maybe it hasnt been, but it might now now that he's got someone clearly capable to do so. I really believe that hasnt been the case the last couple years. Who woulda done it? Compton? Whaley? Stafford? Smith?

There was a guy by the name of Lavonte 2 years ago that would have been pretty good at it...

But yes last year we had enough trouble as it was.

There was a guy by the name of Lavonte 2 years ago that would have been pretty good at it...

But yes last year we had enough trouble as it was.

But with a guy like LaVonte being surround by a rather incompetent group as it was then as well, would you really want to take him out of plays so to speak to play such a "spy" type of game? I wouldnt. Now, the kicker with this group is (pure sunshine pumping speculation of course) is that Gerry-the supposed spy-would be surrounded by athleticism and speed the rest the way around. It would be afforded.

Not to mention against Ohio St, I fully expect Braxton to continue to be 93% of their offense and their only real threat.

The OSU game that year turned out pretty good in no small part because of David, so I probably wouldn't change much there. But you're right it would have been a big risk take him out of his typical downhill attack. Although with somebody like Robinson it probably wouldn't have been a bad idea, I'd rather see him try and throw or hand it off than take off running.

Against Braxton if you play fundamentally sound you should always be in position, it's just trying to match his moves and athleticism that had us holding our jocks. Something we're all hoping is about to change.

Didn't read much of the last page but here's my input:

Bo's defense is incredibly complex. Always has been, always will be.

However:

That middle linebacker position seems to be the exception. Think about it..

Cody Glenn moved from runningback and was our starter and leading tackler at the position (until getting kicked off the team) with virtually zero prior experience or coaching.

Phillip Dillard was next - was thought to be a bust, in Bo's doghouse, not able to get it or a combination of the three, but when he was called on he filled in and was a big time playmaker.

Then came Lavonte - same song, different verse. Filled in right away and played at an extremely high level.

Will Compton did too, as much as his body's physical capacities would allow. He got a good amount of playing time when he was younger and earlier on in his knowledge of the defense as well.

All you have to do is watch the Penn State game last year to see how difficult Bo's D is to pick up. We had eight seniors on last year's DEF and in a November game they were still having trouble lining up play by play. Bo burned all three timeouts on defense in the first half.

If guys are picking it up fast enough to play as true Freshmen it means they're either really football smart or Bo dumbed it down to get them on the field.

Neither of which is a bad thing.

Gregory and McMullen not in pads eyeswear2allthatsholy

the world is ending

Do we have to worry about this???

I don't know. I haven't heard anything about the nature of the injuries or how serious they are. I've asked and haven't gotten an answer nor confirmation that it is even injury related. I found it a little odd that the two most impressive DE's got hurt in the same time frame, though. To be expected when you're doing a lot of full go, good on good practices though. I'm leaning towards it being more than "bumps and bruises" because normally my guy will just say he'll be back in a week or two / just tweaked something. Haven't gotten any time frame this time. No information or anything to back that up.

Given the need to get this young defense up to speed we have to just accept the double-edged sword that comes with lots of physical good-on-good practice. Guys are more likely to get beat-up. Just glad that it now sounds like Gregory and McMullen should be back this week.

Collins is going to have to play. No problem IMO because the best way to adjust to the game is by playing.

Good news about Gregory and McMullen. Everything about those two was so quiet you could hear a mouse fart.

I'm not so sure Collins wasn't already going to play...

Damon Benning said the top 4 DT going into camp were Randle, K Williams, Curry, Nickens...I know Valentine and Collins jumped into that convo realllllll quick though. At this point, Randle is the only injury at DT that would be a huge blow. I think the other 4 or 5 guys are all really close together.

I agree with you on Collins. However it would have been a big time decision whether they redshirted Collins or not before this injury. Now it isn't a choice.

I feel pretty confident that he wasn't going to redshirt, period. I think it factors into the Maurice decision more - as he was really on the fence. Could he contribute? Maybe, but the experience is invaluable. I guess Maurice probably would've shirted, now I doubt it. To be honest, I think they may even try to redshirt Maurice still and just give everyone else a few more snaps per game. Randle, Valentine, Curry, Broderick, Collins and use Greg McMullen a little more at DT, he certainly has the size.

Not saying he would have 100%. Saying now this erases any shadow of a doubt.