****Fall Camp Twitter Thread**** aka the RG44 love fest

Damn.......it's going to be nuts seeing true freshman out there on the defense......if and when that happens.

Count me in as excited to see young talent on the field...but also count me as being guarded....that many youngins on the defense scares me a bit. I really hope they blow me away with their talent.

All you have to do is watch the Penn State game last year to see how difficult Bo's D is to pick up. We had eight seniors on last year's DEF and in a November game they were still having trouble lining up play by play. Bo burned all three timeouts on defense in the first half.

If guys are picking it up fast enough to play as true Freshmen it means they're either really football smart or Bo dumbed it down to get them on the field.

I am almost certain this........

Just a hunch though.

It's no hunch. Bo and Co. actually said they were going to do this. They said they were not going to overload the players, not give them too much all at once. As I said before, they've got to let these young guys get comfortable out there before we go getting too overly zealous. It's one thing to "know the defense" and execute it in practice. Stepping out on the field in front of 90,o00 fans is something every player has to get accustomed to. I hope Bo lets these guys get a knowledge of how that feels before he goes throwing too many expectations on them.

All you have to do is watch the Penn State game last year to see how difficult Bo's D is to pick up. We had eight seniors on last year's DEF and in a November game they were still having trouble lining up play by play. Bo burned all three timeouts on defense in the first half.

If guys are picking it up fast enough to play as true Freshmen it means they're either really football smart or Bo dumbed it down to get them on the field.

Just a hunch though.

It's no hunch. Bo and Co. actually said they were going to do this. They said they were not going to overload the players, not give them too much all at once. As I said before, they've got to let these young guys get comfortable out there before we go getting too overly zealous. It's one thing to "know the defense" and execute it in practice. Stepping out on the field in front of 90,o00 fans is something every player has to get accustomed to. I hope Bo lets these guys get a knowledge of how that feels before he goes throwing too many expectations on them.

I do concur.

I believe EZ or da skers hinted that Bo and Co. are dumbing down much of the defense.

I am very much for this and very excited to hear that they are doing this. I think this move is essential if the D is going to be play decently this year.

Or possibly both. Gerry and Banderas were lauded for having great instincts and I know they didn't dumb it down for Bando, they tried to throw a lot at him on purpose to see how he handled it. They are desperate to find a MLB

What's up with Santos? Not handling it well? More natural outside?

Edit: Never mind on natural outside, you had already answered that. = )

To elaborate more, Santos essentially moved for the team. He just follows his instincts at OLB. At MLB he still thinks about it sometimes and doesn't just go out there and play. Santos will be fine at MLB as he is probably currently our best LB as of fall, but it isn't a secret Santos and the coaches, would like him back at the outside if there is anyway they could do it.

Bo is probably okay with being slightly undersized in favor of natural talent, speed, and instincts, which Bando has. Mike Rose was "hopefully" going to be ready to go this year at MLB, but that hasn't happened I guess. Rose is the prototypical B1G Mike backer, but I think they prefer the aforementioned qualities over size.

Otherwise, Santos and Banderas are the same weight and Banderas is probably still gaining. He is probably pushing 230 by now.

I think this is very exciting, getting the young kids on the field, helps so much down the road. We may have some shakey moments, so be it, but this is needed. It also helps in recruiting later. The kids want to play these days the day they show up. Sorry to hear about the injuries, but it is football and we know we have to expect the. Tough for the ones it happens to though. Thanks for all the information, I too only get what I hear here, Nebraska is not a hot topic in SoCal. Hope that changes this year.

Or possibly both. Gerry and Banderas were lauded for having great instincts and I know they didn't dumb it down for Bando, they tried to throw a lot at him on purpose to see how he handled it. They are desperate to find a MLB

To elaborate more, Santos essentially moved for the team. He just follows his instincts at OLB. At MLB he still thinks about it sometimes and doesn't just go out there and play. Santos will be fine at MLB as he is probably currently our best LB as of fall, but it isn't a secret Santos and the coaches, would like him back at the outside if there is anyway they could do it.

Bo is probably okay with being slightly undersized in favor of natural talent, speed, and instincts, which Bando has. Mike Rose was "hopefully" going to be ready to go this year at MLB, but that hasn't happened I guess. Rose is the prototypical B1G Mike backer, but I think they prefer the aforementioned qualities over size.

Otherwise, Santos and Banderas are the same weight and Banderas is probably still gaining. He is probably pushing 230 by now.

I really hope Rose can get moving and make a case for the MLB spot. The more competition, the better. I've been hearing VV is getting his butt in gear here on the defensive line....any new news on him? Hopefully Josh getting in his ear has really helped motivate the guy.

Collins is going to have to play. No problem IMO because the best way to adjust to the game is by playing.

Good news about Gregory and McMullen. Everything about those two was so quiet you could hear a mouse fart.

I'm not so sure Collins wasn't already going to play...

Damon Benning said the top 4 DT going into camp were Randle, K Williams, Curry, Nickens...I know Valentine and Collins jumped into that convo realllllll quick though. At this point, Randle is the only injury at DT that would be a huge blow. I think the other 4 or 5 guys are all really close together.

I agree with you on Collins. However it would have been a big time decision whether they redshirted Collins or not before this injury. Now it isn't a choice.

Just a hunch though.

I do concur.

I believe EZ or da skers hinted that Bo and Co. are dumbing down much of the defense.

I am very much for this and very excited to hear that they are doing this. I think this move is essential if the D is going to be play decently this year.

They dumbed it down a little bit so they could add in new wrinkles to accommodate our new personnel (Randy Gregory, Nate Gerry, Afalava, AJ Natter) as well as to help counter the youth. They were impressed with how much they picked up and how quickly they picked it up, and threw some more at them. Probably won't have the full playbook until just before conference play, but then again I'd bet we see formations, plays and fronts we haven't seen over the past few years either.

I can tell you that little movie night wouldn't of happened if Bo wasn't happy with something.

Just a hunch though.

I do concur.

They dumbed it down a little bit so they could add in new wrinkles to accommodate our new personnel (Randy Gregory, Nate Gerry, Afalava, AJ Natter) as well as to help counter the youth. They were impressed with how much they picked up and how quickly they picked it up, and threw some more at them. Probably won't have the full playbook until just before conference play, but then again I'd bet we see formations, plays and fronts we haven't seen over the past few years either.

I can tell you that little movie night wouldn't of happened if Bo wasn't happy with something.

Niiiiiiiiiiice. Good to hear. Thanks for the info. man. Much appreciated.

The biggest thing to remember about Bando in the whole "Bo dumbed down the defense" discussion, is that Josh had been studying the defense since last fall. He constantly was talking and working with Compton and Baker about the ins and outs of the scheme since he committed. Say what you want about Compton, but the kid knew his sh#t on the field.

• Fire 2

I really hope Rose can get moving and make a case for the MLB spot. The more competition, the better. I've been hearing VV is getting his butt in gear here on the defensive line....any new news on him? Hopefully Josh getting in his ear has really helped motivate the guy.

Ideally, I'd agree. I prefer Rose's size at the position, but he hasn't been able to get his head right yet. He gets to caught up in mental errors. He makes an error and just lets it dwell. He needs to have a quarterback memory, make a bad call, forget it. Let it go. Onto the next play. VV is a load. Nothing really new, he is plodding along. His issue has always been weight transfer from pure fat to muscle and maintaining his composure. He truly is a run stuffer. Between Valentine and Nickens, I really doubt we get ran all over again this year. Really, really doubt it. I should phrase it better, btw. MLB isn't a worry - coaches just would prefer to have someone else step up there. Santos is good enough to completely adjust to the position, but I think with the players we have coming in at that spot it will be hard to keep them (Banderas, Love) off the field at that spot.

Collins is going to have to play. No problem IMO because the best way to adjust to the game is by playing.

Good news about Gregory and McMullen. Everything about those two was so quiet you could hear a mouse fart.

I'm not so sure Collins wasn't already going to play...

Damon Benning said the top 4 DT going into camp were Randle, K Williams, Curry, Nickens...I know Valentine and Collins jumped into that convo realllllll quick though. At this point, Randle is the only injury at DT that would be a huge blow. I think the other 4 or 5 guys are all really close together.

I agree with you on Collins. However it would have been a big time decision whether they redshirted Collins or not before this injury. Now it isn't a choice.

I feel pretty confident that he wasn't going to redshirt, period. I think it factors into the Maurice decision more - as he was really on the fence. Could he contribute? Maybe, but the experience is invaluable. I guess Maurice probably would've shirted, now I doubt it. To be honest, I think they may even try to redshirt Maurice still and just give everyone else a few more snaps per game. Randle, Valentine, Curry, Broderick, Collins and use Greg McMullen a little more at DT, he certainly has the size.

The biggest thing to remember about Bando in the whole "Bo dumbed down the defense" discussion, is that Josh had been studying the defense since last fall. He constantly was talking and working with Compton and Baker about the ins and outs of the scheme since he committed. Say what you want about Compton, but the kid knew his sh#t on the field.

I think it says more that Gerry might play as a peso, which he really had no one to tutor him on.