Bo closes practice to former players indefinitely

tschu

Bo Pelini recently banned all local media from Huskers practice until further notice. It's frustrating from a fan perspective hoping for any nugget of news about how our team is progressing. How common is this among major college programs? And do you see it as a positive or a negative thing in regard to how a program is seen on a national level?

-- Chris, Omaha, Neb.

Unfortunately, for both media and fans, Pelini is by far in the majority. There are only a small handful of BCS-conference programs left that allow media to attend practice, and so I enjoyed this quote from Cal's Sonny Dykes -- one of the few exceptions -- to CBS' Jeremy Fowler: "I've never really understood why there's so much secrecy. From a philosophical standpoint, this is the University of Cal's football team. If people want to come see them practice or work out, I don't see any reason why they shouldn't be able to do that."

It's not affecting anything on the national level because practically everyone's doing it, but fans of the respective teams are certainly losing out. The people who pay good money to attend the games and support the team deserve more detailed updates than their coach saying, "I was happy with the effort today" and "Things are coming along." How does the hot-shot freshman running back look in pads? Which defensive backs are running with the first string? This is enlightening and entirely harmless material. That's not to say the media should report every little detail they see. For example, a mother shouldn't have to find out on Twitter that her son left the field on crutches. And you're serving no one but the team's upcoming opponents to describe which plays they ran, how often they ran them and out of which formations. Ninety percent of working media understand that, but with today's constant churn of inexperienced reporters on every beat, someone inevitably screws it up for everybody else.

For all the paranoia, I've yet to hear a coach attribute a loss to some website's practice report. Meanwhile, in their attempt to control the flow of information, coaches only increase the likelihood of reckless rumors and speculation.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/college-football/news/20130821/second-year-coaches-mailbag/#ixzz2ciKwInpn

• Fire 1

Bo may know football, but he sure as heck does not know much about PR. The reason NU got to the point of being a national power in the early 70's was because Bob Devaney took the time and made the effort to bring all of the citizens of Nebraska into the fold of NU football. I remember it well. That is where it all started. Tom Osborne kept the ball rolling with regard to understanding that process. I have no idea why Pelini closed practice and it is his ship to sail. But, his public relation skills leave much to be desired. That is why I do not believe he is a good "fit" for NU. In the long run, I believe it will be his demise. Fortunate for him that the fans of NU football embrace the team and the history of the program. Remember the old saying, "No matter how good looking the woman, sooner or later one gets tired of her bitchiness." Same goes for Pelini.

Because Dr. Tom had to deal with twitter and facebook... right?

I'd bet we're working on stuff that we aren't wanting others to see - and our media has made it VERY clear that they cannot show professional courtesy (tweeting injuries/what we're doing in practice, calling families, etc.) in that regard, so this is what happens. Also, the less eyes watching our practice the better. All it takes is for one former player or ball boy or whatever to tweet that we're working on a "insert X package here" and it lets the cat out of the bag.

Maybe if Twitter didn't make things spread like wildfire and it could be policed, it'd be different. But it isn't.

Also, I know Oregon (specifically) Chip Kelly would close practices to everyone and would send players out wearing different jerseys just to mess with the media - and it has been covered pretty dang well in Oregon that reporting for the Ducks sucks because of the very limited access.

I don't care if Bo holds closed practices or throws the doors wide open, as long as whatever method he chooses has a net positive effect on the team's performance.

Stop with your reasonable posts, they have no place here. We need to speculate and draw ridiculous conclusions as to why this is happening.

RABBLE RABBLE RABBLE

• Fire 1

Mr. Accountability, I think (hope) PR was the last thing on his mind for those two occurrences.

but maybe that is what makes him so good at it. it is effortless. he does the right thing and gets attention for it. it is not overly-planned and there are no ulterior motives. people sense and hate insincerity. bo is genuine and worthy of, generally, good pr.

We have a crap ton of players who now work for the media. Maybe its related.

Yeah don't they all work for ESPN

Herbstreit, Galloway, Speilman, Robert Smith, Desmond Howard, oops Just a joke, Eddie George works for Fox, did I miss anyone.

I'm talking about local media as well. But yes there's a lot that work for ESPN too. Honestly don't know who works for who though.

lol, I am glad you know me so well. I don't hate Bo, but I cant say I agree with some of his tactics. I think Nebraska was a big stage for a coach with no head coaching experience and no long term recruiting experience (short stops at LSU and Oklahoma). I don't think he will get worse, just not sure how long it will be before he takes the next step. As for 4 loses, I do think we will reach that mark again. I see a loss to PSU/NW and one to Michigan, as well as a lose to OSU in the CCG, and a loss to a high ranked SEC team in the bowl game. Not sure how that makes me a Bo hater - just being realistic with our very young Defense.

And then he gets fired and we get to repeat the process all over again with another first time head coach :-)

But King!!!! We need to be running the option!!!! And we need to hand it to the fullback!!!! We need to be giving up less than 100 yards a game!!!!! We need Jason Peter as our DC!!!! We need to recruit 8-10 Nebraska kids a year!

:rollin~~~~~ :tv~~~~~ :funnyhahah~~~~~ :w00t~~~~~ :clap

Bo Pelini recently banned all local media from Huskers practice until further notice. It's frustrating from a fan perspective hoping for any nugget of news about how our team is progressing. How common is this among major college programs? And do you see it as a positive or a negative thing in regard to how a program is seen on a national level?

-- Chris, Omaha, Neb.

Unfortunately, for both media and fans, Pelini is by far in the majority. There are only a small handful of BCS-conference programs left that allow media to attend practice, and so I enjoyed this quote from Cal's Sonny Dykes -- one of the few exceptions -- to CBS' Jeremy Fowler: "I've never really understood why there's so much secrecy. From a philosophical standpoint, this is the University of Cal's football team. If people want to come see them practice or work out, I don't see any reason why they shouldn't be able to do that."

It's not affecting anything on the national level because practically everyone's doing it, but fans of the respective teams are certainly losing out. The people who pay good money to attend the games and support the team deserve more detailed updates than their coach saying, "I was happy with the effort today" and "Things are coming along." How does the hot-shot freshman running back look in pads? Which defensive backs are running with the first string? This is enlightening and entirely harmless material. That's not to say the media should report every little detail they see. For example, a mother shouldn't have to find out on Twitter that her son left the field on crutches. And you're serving no one but the team's upcoming opponents to describe which plays they ran, how often they ran them and out of which formations. Ninety percent of working media understand that, but with today's constant churn of inexperienced reporters on every beat, someone inevitably screws it up for everybody else.

For all the paranoia, I've yet to hear a coach attribute a loss to some website's practice report. Meanwhile, in their attempt to control the flow of information, coaches only increase the likelihood of reckless rumors and speculation.

http://sportsillustr.../#ixzz2ciKwInpn

Hey I love practice reports and info about the team as much as the next guy, but how does this dude figure that anyone is entitled to more info? People who pay good money for a ticket deserve a seat in the stadium, and that's about it. Practice updates are for our curiosity and our human penchant for gossip, but a fan's support of a team doesn't entitle him or her to jack squat.

-- Chris, Omaha, Neb.

http://sportsillustr.../#ixzz2ciKwInpn

Hey I love practice reports and info about the team as much as the next guy, but how does this dude figure that anyone is entitled to more info? People who pay good money for a ticket deserve a seat in the stadium, and that's about it. Practice updates are for our curiosity and our human penchant for gossip, but a fan's support of a team doesn't entitle him or her to jack squat.

Because he's in the media and coaches are stepping on his toes.

Not sure why some "Husker fans & Media" feel so entitled that they have to know everything!

I realize the University of Nebraska is a public venue but is this really something we need to get our panties in a bunch for?

Like others have said, this was not limited to the former players and as long as they come out and do what we hope for on the field, I sure as heck don't care. I think we all have enough to do in our own lives to keep us busy till game day!

I don't know and I guess I shouldn't care if people whine about it either but it just starts to produce too much negativity towards Bo and Team. IMO

:boxosoap