Why Wyoming Can Beat Nebraska - from the blogs at WyoNation

knapplc

LINK

There is good news though for the Pokes, this current Huskers team isn’t your grandfathers, fathers or even older brothers Nebraska program. The Nebraska mystique has been gone since 2001 and the Big Red are currently just another college football program with a rich and storied tradition. Nebraska is no longer feared and the days of Tom Osborne running a triple option attack are a distant memory. It is a tough ask but there are several factors that should give Wyoming hope that they can pull off an upset at (the other) War Memorial Stadium come August 31st.

Martinez also has many flaws as a passer, a poor throwing motion that looks more like a shot put than a proper release, he throws off his back foot, he stares down his primary receiver and has a hard time reading defensive coverages (especially intermediately over the middle). These are all factors Wyoming can take advantage of and the Cowboys can limit Martinez’s production and force him into the mistakes he has so often made by doing the following things:

1. Play bracket coverage on the outside receivers and force him to throw over the middle where he has not been proven to be an accurate passer.

2. Keep Martinez in the pocket with a containment philosophy that does not blitz often. Blitzing is the only way Martinez will hurt you on the ground. He only has elite straight line speed and does not have the ability to make people miss in the hole or in the open field. By blitzing you give him a wide lane to run through if the blitz is picked up and he will hurt you.

3. Mix up your coverages. Martinez has a hard time reading a defense presnap and Wyoming’s switch to the 3-4 (with no film on it for Nebraska to look at) could give the Cowboys an advantage in confusing Martinez by masking coverages where the fourth pass rusher is coming from.

So there you have it, if Wyoming can take advantage of the weaknesses I have outlined above the Cowboys could be making national headlines come Saturday night.

There is a lot of speculation and dreaming going on here. Read the whole blog if you like. These are the salient points. It's a bit comical, and it appears the author skipped past most of 2012.

1. Play bracket coverage on the outside receivers and force him to throw over the middle where he has not been proven to be an accurate passer.

Please, please, please do this.

Four guys covering the outside receivers + 3-4 undersized DLinemen = 3-4 guys to cover the rest of the field. That means those 3-4 guys have to account for Martinez, AA, Turner and one other skill player. That's right - could be three guys to cover four. Great idea.

2. Keep Martinez in the pocket with a containment philosophy that does not blitz often. Blitzing is the only way Martinez will hurt you on the ground. He only has elite straight line speed and does not have the ability to make people miss in the hole or in the open field. By blitzing you give him a wide lane to run through if the blitz is picked up and he will hurt you.

3. Mix up your coverages. Martinez has a hard time reading a defense presnap and Wyoming’s switch to the 3-4 (with no film on it for Nebraska to look at) could give the Cowboys an advantage in confusing Martinez by masking coverages where the fourth pass rusher is coming from.

tumblr_mo1v3yE0mx1qi9xdqo1_250.gif

• Fire 5
Dave Christensen is an experienced game planner and he is sure to borrow concepts from UCLA, Ohio State, Wisconsin and Georgia that saw the Huskers give up an average of 53.5 points per game last season. In those contests the Nebraska opposition did a great deal of pre-snap shifting. This caused the Nebraska defense to not be aligned properly as they looked towards the sideline for guidance while the ball was being snapped. This resulted in big play after big play for the offense due to misalignments and blown assignments. Another area teams took advantage of were the edges of the Husker defense. Toss plays were ran to the outside of the Nebraska defense as well as wheel patterns in the passing game in the flats to running backs and tight ends with great success. Look for Christensen and his staff to test Nebraska in these two areas early and often.

Pre-snap shifts, toss plays, RB passes and TEs across the middle. Great! I hope this is exactly how Dave Christensen attacks Nebraska. These are the things we'll see against UCLA and in conf play. The Blackshirts need work against all of these things. And if we can't stop Wyoming it's gonna be a long season.

The deep post is Taylor's best ball.

I know, which is why I was surprised at your reply to this blog over there. I presume you were just being a nice neighbor. :D

Wyo-why would they put faith in this "proud alumni" blogger?

His disparaging remarks about Taylor are more suited to the 2011 edition. (hint: this is 2013 Chad)

Isn't TM the nations leading returning rusher?

Aren't TM and AA the nations leading pair of returning rushers?

Isn't Wyoming or Wyo or whatever .......still Wyoming?

A little kool Aid isn't bad, but an overdose of sugar can be deadly.

Blow-Out.

The deep post is Taylor's best ball.

I know, which is why I was surprised at your reply to this blog over there. I presume you were just being a nice neighbor. :D

I pick my battles - at some point an opposing fan invading your board to point out every single thing that's wrong gets tiresome and wears out a welcome quick. I won't try convincing anyone on much Martinez-related -- I'll let Taylor do it and come back to hand out some helpings of crow.

• Fire 1
Dave Christensen is an experienced game planner and he is sure to borrow concepts from UCLA, Ohio State, Wisconsin and Georgia that saw the Huskers give up an average of 53.5 points per game last season. In those contests the Nebraska opposition did a great deal of pre-snap shifting. This caused the Nebraska defense to not be aligned properly as they looked towards the sideline for guidance while the ball was being snapped. This resulted in big play after big play for the offense due to misalignments and blown assignments. Another area teams took advantage of were the edges of the Husker defense. Toss plays were ran to the outside of the Nebraska defense as well as wheel patterns in the passing game in the flats to running backs and tight ends with great success. Look for Christensen and his staff to test Nebraska in these two areas early and often.

Borrowing "concepts" is one thing......now if he could actually borrow about 22 players from any of these teams, well, then I might be a little concerned.

• Fire 2