Getting a good read on the defense

tmfr15

The scheme has shown to be successful. Alabama runs a version of the two-gap, talent discrepancies aside. So is this a scheme problem or a coaching/play calling problem? I don't know. It's easy to blame the scheme, which I've been doing, only because whatever adjustments we're making inside the scheme appear to be ineffective.

UCLA is beatable with a decent defense. Whatever we had on the field Saturday is going to repeat what happened to us last year.

Saban's front is much more aggressive against the run and getting a pass rush. Really beyond some pattern matching in the back end there are very few similarities between what Saban is running and what Pelini is running now.

Saban refuses to let teams run inside on him and controlling the middle of the field is first and foremost. Bo routinely gives up the middle of the field. Saban, like pretty much every good defensive coach ever, wants to stop the run first then get you in 3rd and predictable. Bo allows the ball to be run down his throat when he puts so few guys in the box. He somehow magically thinks we'll stop the run when we are frequently outnumbered.

Bo doesn't just need to tweak his system, he needs an entire philosophy change because OCs have learned how to manipulate him.

The scheme has shown to be successful. Alabama runs a version of the two-gap, talent discrepancies aside. So is this a scheme problem or a coaching/play calling problem? I don't know. It's easy to blame the scheme, which I've been doing, only because whatever adjustments we're making inside the scheme appear to be ineffective.

UCLA is beatable with a decent defense. Whatever we had on the field Saturday is going to repeat what happened to us last year.

Saban's front is much more aggressive against the run and getting a pass rush. Really beyond some pattern matching in the back end there are very few similarities between what Saban is running and what Pelini is running now.

Saban refuses to let teams run inside on him and controlling the middle of the field is first and foremost. Bo routinely gives up the middle of the field. Saban, like pretty much every good defensive coach ever, wants to stop the run first then get you in 3rd and predictable. Bo allows the ball to be run down his throat when he puts so few guys in the box. He somehow magically thinks we'll stop the run when we are frequently outnumbered.

Bo doesn't just need to tweak his system, he needs an entire philosophy change because OCs have learned how to manipulate him.

I agree. You don't see the middle of the field vacated against Alabama. I never saw teams run up the middle against McBride either.

Agreed. I just don't see how the super sunshine guys (my prediction for the season was 1 loss btw) will never place ANY blame on the coaches six years in. No blame at all. It's always the players fault. When I think that blame has to fall somewhere in the middle.

Agreed. We've been sold a bill of goods about how the problem was Watson's offense, the lack of talent, players not executing, too many injuries with not enough depth, that Pelini was forced to keep on some assistants, that the new assistants weren't seasoned enough, that Pelini is a first time head coach, and so on. At some point you simply run out of excuses...and that's what I see happening.

Pelini's defense is nothing short of a complete dumpster fire. The offense has some great weapons and a seeming inability to fully utilize them. I think the visible dysfunction on the sideline during games gives a good clue as to the dysfunction running through this program. And it's hard not to feel the growing sense that Pelini is over his head as a head coach and simply can't get the job done.

I think Bo and Dabo came in about the same time. Bo has brought in friends with little experience over and I think he has needed good help since he got here. Dabo runs the ship, he hired top end Coordinators, nearly if not the highest paid in the country. It is working for Clemson, why not here.

I think Pauchis is a yes man, nothing more. A wasted coaching slot. I do not feel Bo is this great defensive genius he is claimed to be. Hire a good D coordinator. Bo is improving in recruiting, shown by the O and I think he is developing players on that side. He can do this job, but is overwhelmed, and hires buddies. A good manager delegates with qualified assistants. Bo needs to learn this.

Dabo became the HC in 2009. Since then he is 40-21 overall. Been to the ACC CG twice and won 1. He has won or played for 3 Atlantic division titles. 2 years top 15 BCS final standings and signature wins over LSU and UGA. He also has the two highest paid coordinators in college football. (Morris and Venables) Not too mention back to back 10 win seasons. He knew he needed the experienced staff to help him and he got it.

Wife is a Clemson grad so my 2nd team I follow.

Your wife must be a great lady.

Pap was going with what he saw out of the kids in practice and scrimmages...

What actually happened was something different. The first game is difficult, because there's an unknown of how the defense is going to react in a game situation. I think Pap thought it was going to be an improvement, and so did many of us. Now, if the defense goes out and spits the bit again against Southern Miss, then Houston, we have a problem. And unless the defense makes herculean steps between now and a week from this saturday, you think people were freaking out on Saturday, it will be minor compared to if we give up the booty at home againts UCLA...

I think Bo and Dabo came in about the same time. Bo has brought in friends with little experience over and I think he has needed good help since he got here. Dabo runs the ship, he hired top end Coordinators, nearly if not the highest paid in the country. It is working for Clemson, why not here.

To point at Clemson and Nebraska and imply that Dabo is doing a better job than Bo is ludicrous IMO. From the outside looking in, sure. But look at the bigger picture and then tell me.

1) Dabo is in a recruiting hotbed. 'Nuff said.

2) Clemson is in a much weaker conference and has still plateaued each year the same way that we have with Bo.

3) Dabo has not had to endure a conference change. This factor cannot be focused on enough. Going from the pass-happy Big 12 to the bruising B1G is a major obstacle.

4) Clemson's defense (and team) was not in total shambles when Dabo took over. Bo's was.

I'm sure there's more, but yeah...

We've been sold a bill of goods about how the problem was Watson's offense... that Pelini was forced to keep on some assistants,

What the what?!?!? Neither of those excuses came from this board or from Stadium Drive. Not sure where that came from, but it's not reality.

Yeah that's not quite what I was getting at... :confucius

It is not the offense's fault that the defense can't get off the field. In fact, Nebraska led in Time of Possession, 36 min to 24 min. Wrapped into that was the fact that Wyoming got 35 first downs, but six of them (SIX!) came via penalty, including the absurd "Roughing the Passer" call against Gregory. The following statement is not meant IN ANY WAY TO allege that the refs nearly cost us this game, but the reality is, most other crews don't call that penalty on Gregory. Most other crews call several more holding calls on Wyoming than this crew (there are tons, as I'm rewatching the game looking for them). The reffing was terrible, but that's not why Wyoming gained 600 yards on offense. That's entirely on us. The reffing just didn't help much.
But don't you think if they did call more holding penalties that Wyoming would have had to adjust which would have helped our guys be able to fight off blocks. I know the 600 yards is mostly the defense's fault, but it's hard to fight off blocks when you are constantly being held (and the holds became more and more obvious as the game goes along).

Christensen was all "WTF? NOW you call it?" when they started actually enforcing the holding on the last series of the game. For the rest of the game it was like we were playing a Texas team back in the Big12, couldn't get a holding call to save our lives. As you said it doesn't justify our crappy performance, still were getting gouged. But I'd say Wyo has a good 100 less yards and one less td if holding was enforced from the jump.

My point was experienced Coordinators. And if you think the ACC is weaker than the big 10 fine, but they are rated third this year going in as a conference, Big is 4th. Dabo has beaten top ten teams, won BCS games and championships.

I think they started out pretty similar, but Dabo was wise enough to know he had never done the job before, and needed help.

Bo has been in over his head since day one, he used the previous staffs recruits to win the major games he won. Has recruited terrible up until last year and this. And neither of those are top ten classes.

I think with good Coordinators he would be just fine. He runs the program right, kids graduate, and no investigations. I really like that about him. But I have said since day one he needs help. Still think he does.

My point was experienced Coordinators. And if you think the ACC is weaker than the big 10 fine, but they are rated third this year going in as a conference, Big is 4th. Dabo has beaten top ten teams, won BCS games and championships.

I think they started out pretty similar, but Dabo was wise enough to know he had never done the job before, and needed help.

Bo has been in over his head since day one, he used the previous staffs recruits to win the major games he won. Has recruited terrible up until last year and this. And neither of those are top ten classes.

I think with good Coordinators he would be just fine. He runs the program right, kids graduate, and no investigations. I really like that about him. But I have said since day one he needs help. Still think he does.

agree, the unproven buddie picks have not helped him move ahead...costly, actually.

We've been sold a bill of goods about how the problem was Watson's offense... that Pelini was forced to keep on some assistants,

What the what?!?!? Neither of those excuses came from this board or from Stadium Drive. Not sure where that came from, but it's not reality.

I've read that argument all over the internet. I'm new here, so I don't know what's been posted here. But one of the excuses we heard for issues early in Pelini's tenure, predominately on the offensive side of the ball was that Pelini was hamstrung by Osborne's insistence that he kept Watson and other Nebraska retreads on staff. The argument was that it was unfair to judge him because he wasn't even able to hire his own staff. But now that he has his own staff, the dysfunction just continues.