Tommy Armstrong

Just my observation, but I think Armstrong is more talented. Never been super impressed with Johnny Stanton. Actually liked Darlington more than him as well. Whoever wins the job will probably be the one who has the best grasp of the offense.

Racist.

Pretty sure you're joking, but no. I think Tommy has better natural arm talent, even though he was more raw coming out of high school. I think it'd give a slight edge to TA in running ability as well because of his quickness. I haven't seen a ton of Johnny, but I have never been impressed with his arm, and I don't know how well his running ability will translate to college, and especially in our offense. I know he did well at the Elite 11, but in the one game I saw him play, he looked very poor throwing the football and not terrific on the run. He also had the benefit of playing in behind a line composed entirely of D1 guys. He does seem like a gamer, a great leader, and just all around good guy and that can often mean more than raw ability, which he has as well. Feel free to disagree, but I think TA wins the job running away.

It was a joke, but I do believe Stanton starts before TA is gone. Maybe not next year but he has that something about him, a winners aura, that can't be coached. I could be wrong but Stanton looks like the real deal.

Just my observation, but I think Armstrong is more talented. Never been super impressed with Johnny Stanton. Actually liked Darlington more than him as well. Whoever wins the job will probably be the one who has the best grasp of the offense.

Racist.

Pretty sure you're joking, but no. I think Tommy has better natural arm talent, even though he was more raw coming out of high school. I think it'd give a slight edge to TA in running ability as well because of his quickness. I haven't seen a ton of Johnny, but I have never been impressed with his arm, and I don't know how well his running ability will translate to college, and especially in our offense. I know he did well at the Elite 11, but in the one game I saw him play, he looked very poor throwing the football and not terrific on the run. He also had the benefit of playing in behind a line composed entirely of D1 guys. He does seem like a gamer, a great leader, and just all around good guy and that can often mean more than raw ability, which he has as well. Feel free to disagree, but I think TA wins the job running away.

It was a joke, but I do believe Stanton starts before TA is gone. Maybe not next year but he has that something about him, a winners aura, that can't be coached. I could be wrong but Stanton looks like the real deal.

I get that vibe with Johnny tool. I think Tommy has it as well.

-but I'm still not sure I like him over Stanton for the future.

Honestly I agree with that. The way they talk Stanton up he could truly be a force in the next couple seasons. Hard to imagine Armstrong as a backup but if JS is half as good as they say it will be a battle for the QB spot next year.

A big part of it will be Beck (if he is still OC) comfort level with TA/Stanton. Beck has a lot more plays at his disposal than you think - he just doesn't have faith in Taylor's skill set - and I'm not sure how he feels about Johnny at this point.

That said, Tommy will have game experience + an extra year under his belt + experience and chemistry with the 1s already. Depending on his knee....

Dont think that there is a coincidence that Ron saw time before TA. Also I dont see Beck being here past 2015 or so.

BTW, no way Frost comes here. No way does Bo Pelini ever hire him.

Who do you think the next OC will be, I think chances are Bo promotes somebody like Fisher from the inside instead of bringing somebody from the outside

Both Stanton and Armstrong have the it factor when it comes to Leadership at the QB spot according to all that has been written about them. I really feel like the QB battle won't be truly decided until a couple of games into the '14 season after we see who shines under the lights.

Man I certainly hope not. QB competition in games hasn't worked out in recent years.... example: USC this year, Texas, Notre Dame a couple years ago, Michigan State, Zac Lee and Cody Green

So who do you guys think will win the QB battle next spring? Tommy Stanton or Johnny Armstrong?

I don't think anyone will win it in the spring, and maybe not in the fall either. It might end up like Crouch/Newcombe or Martinez/Green

You totally missed it bro. I was piggybacking off of your earlier post lol

awesome.

Bro? You totally missed something too, Kozz. A vagina. :lol:

Qb competitions are a no likey for me in season as well. You get a deal where each is trying to win the job in actual meaningful games and a mindset of trying to do too much to impress and such instead of playing within the plan. Let the guys have at it in spring and fall, and make a decision before the first game. Let that guy play that first game. If he struggles, so be it. But he earned the spot in practice. The other guy needs to step up the next week. What Michigan St is doing is just ridiculous. They are mentally destroying all them guys. And I still blame Cody Green's obvious lack of psychological development on the coaches and constant bullsh#t situations they put him in, and then pull him back out when he couldn't overcome something that Peyton Manning or Tom Brady would struggle with.

I thought Armstrong looked pretty smooth running, but he didn't appear to be very explosive. And that could well be because we've gotten used to watching Martinez (who is ((or was)) incredibly explosive when he saw the opening). Also I suppose first action could he could have been just a touch tenative. It just didn't look like someone who was capable of taking a small gain and turning it into something big.

Qb competitions are a no likey for me in season as well. You get a deal where each is trying to win the job in actual meaningful games and a mindset of trying to do too much to impress and such instead of playing within the plan. Let the guys have at it in spring and fall, and make a decision before the first game. Let that guy play that first game. If he struggles, so be it. But he earned the spot in practice. The other guy needs to step up the next week. What Michigan St is doing is just ridiculous. They are mentally destroying all them guys. And I still blame Cody Green's obvious lack of psychological development on the coaches and constant bullsh#t situations they put him in, and then pull him back out when he couldn't overcome something that Peyton Manning or Tom Brady would struggle with.

I don't disagree with you guys at all. I hope it is clear cut before the season starts and the coaches have their guy, but considering Bo's mantra is "competition" I could just see it playing out like that. Two guys who are so green, who have very similar skill sets, and similar potential.

Our non-con schedule kind of allows for it as well. Florida Atlantic - McNeese St. - Fresno St. - Miami . I could see those guys rotating quarters for the first couple games. But like I said. I hope we have a clear cut starter going into the opener.

Armstrong looks like more of a natural runner than Martinez, especially when it comes to make a cut. He looked really good running the option on Saturday, better than Martinez usually does. Not meant to be a knock against Martinez, but I've never felt TM was very good at running the option or that he had very good open-field moves. TM's power and value always came in using his straight line speed. Armstrong looks like he's got a bit more of a runner's savvy.

My way-too-early prognostication is Tommy Armstrong starts for Nebraska in 2014.

I'm a little concerned that Armstrong is third string coming in after Kellogg came in and was allowed to throw. It might be nothing more than Kellogg being a walk-on senior and Armstrong being a redshirt freshman coming off surgery. However, it does seem odd. I do wonder who gets the nod if something were to happen to Martinez? I still remember how good Dailey looked playing mop up duty behind Lord and how that panned out. It seems like so long ago I felt very good about our chances with a back up QB.

I'm a little concerned that Armstrong is third string coming in after Kellogg came in and was allowed to throw. It might be nothing more than Kellogg being a walk-on senior and Armstrong being a redshirt freshman coming off surgery. However, it does seem odd. I do wonder who gets the nod if something were to happen to Martinez? I still remember how good Dailey looked playing mop up duty behind Lord and how that panned out. It seems like so long ago I felt very good about our chances with a back up QB.

Joe Dailey played in a completely different offense when he started for Callahan. It's not quite the same thing.

If Martinez were to go down, I'd be really interested to see how they handle it. Armstrong is obviously someone you look toward for the future and he's a better runner than Kellogg. Kellogg, conversely, is probably more versed in the offense and probably a better thrower. With the way TM has been running our offense, mobility by the QB has seemed less important, so that would be in favor of Kellogg. But, TA probably allows your offense to be more dynamic depending on his knowledge of the playbook.