What did we learn

JJ Husker

I learned that I have to give up hope for now of Nebraska football returning to it's glory days. I am 35 now and I remember being younger and watching Husker football and we would just dominate teams, there was not a question of if we would win, it was by how many. I keep hoping each year we will get back to the national stage and really be a powerhouse again. I just don't see that happening under the current conditions. I don't know if the coaches need to go, but something has to change.

1- I cared more than the players and coaches did. Pretty sure that won't be a problem anymore..

2- Beck goes more Watson than Watson ever did. He needs to go. Get a real OC.

3- Papuchis is not a DC. It's questionable if he should even be a posion coach. He needs to go. Get a real DC.

4- The Nebraska football I used to love is dead. There's no sugarcoating it. We are a team of pussies from top to bottom. Not one set of balls in the whole bunch.

5- We just got dominated and manhandled by UCfuckinLA.

6- We don't have to worry about being embarrassed in another significant game. If we're in a game, nobody will consider it significant.

Edit-

7- Bo is responsible for all of the above (except #4). Time for a change.

Pretty much! However, I do not blame the players.

I learned we have a bunch of negative nellies on this board! :lol:

Chillax guise. It's just one bad quarter, really. We take that quarter away and we're right in the thick of it. Let's just ignore the third quarter.

I think when the fellas here on the board re-watch the game, they're going to find some real positives we can build on.

You've got to be kidding. How do you write off a whole quarter of football and if you think for a second we held them in the 4th quarter....UCLA just started chewing clock. They had it in the bag and knew it. We were defeated, demoralized...we quit. I can't spin this thing positive...at all. We've played one good full game this year and it was against a team that's currently riding a 15 game losing streak with a new head coach. This team has become an embarrassment....and I'm trying my best to not be too negative cause my BP can't handle it.

When you say NU quit... we need to consider something here. You have to think that by now (and likely for a time now) a good subset of the team (the players) have lost confidence in the coaches. They would have to be nearly blind not to. When a team senses that their coaches are in over their heads and that the opposition will scheme them to death... well that is demoralizing.

It is not that I am excusing the players... but they are in a rough position. Their coaches have been out-coached so thoroughly so often... and now the team has been spanked too many times for the team to have much esteem. They must dread going out there when any sort of momentum switch occurs. This is just a bad, bad situation for NU. It cannot be any fun to be on the team at present.

Yeah don't get me wrong...I'm calling out the coaching staff not the players. I think what we see is a direct reflexion of the coaching staff....

I learned that my day was better spent coaching my six year old girls to a win against a veteran team than it was watching the Nebraska game live.

And as much as I love coaching those girls, I should always care that I missed the game. I don't today, and my apathy disturbs me.

I'm kind of leary about bringing my daughter to her first game this Thanksgiving now, too. I don't want her first live game to be more of this weak sauce s**t against Iowa of all teams.

I'm concerned for you. There should never be a reason NOT to take your kid to their first game. I wouldve done it at the end of '07. Take it easy chief.

Right, but I don't want her first live game impression to be a bunch of boobirds and people leaving the game early. First impressions and all...

How do people blame the defense when the offense doesn't score a point for 37 minutes? An offense that goes 3/14 on 3rd down? An offense that had two of three touchdowns off turnovers on drives of 26 and 28 yards?

When your Defense lets the opponent score on 6 or 7 consecutive drives, most being touchdowns, it hard to not put the majority of the blame on the Defense. Taylor sucked today, but that is not the reason for the loss.

Has to be the most ignorant response I've ever seen. Why did they score on those 6 or 7 drives? How often were they out there? Why were they out there that much? How fast was UCLA running that offense?

Come on...every loss is a TEAM loss. That offense of ours which was supposed to be all-star fantastic went three and out AT LEAST FIVE TIMES IN A ROW.

Ive seen some of your post, mine couldn't have been any worse than most of yours. We run the same offense here, they had all week to practice against a high paced spread team. Your blaming the loss on UCLA running a hurry up offense? wow

No, he's saying the offense did nothing to help the defense. UCLA probably started around the 50 yard line the entire third quarter. Did you even watch the game?

The things we "learn" week after week are becoming so repetitive that this thread just doesnt make sense anymore.

Yes. What else can be said? I mean, we can talk about it sure, but we'll be talking about all the same things. I was at the game today, and watched a team I've seen do the same things for four years now.

How do people blame the defense when the offense doesn't score a point for 37 minutes? An offense that goes 3/14 on 3rd down? An offense that had two of three touchdowns off turnovers on drives of 26 and 28 yards?

When your Defense lets the opponent score on 6 or 7 consecutive drives, most being touchdowns, it hard to not put the majority of the blame on the Defense. Taylor sucked today, but that is not the reason for the loss.

Has to be the most ignorant response I've ever seen. Why did they score on those 6 or 7 drives? How often were they out there? Why were they out there that much? How fast was UCLA running that offense?

Come on...every loss is a TEAM loss. That offense of ours which was supposed to be all-star fantastic went three and out AT LEAST FIVE TIMES IN A ROW.

Ive seen some of your post, mine couldn't have been any worse than most of yours. We run the same offense here, they had all week to practice against a high paced spread team. Your blaming the loss on UCLA running a hurry up offense? wow

No, he's saying the offense did nothing to help the defense. UCLA probably started around the 50 yard line the entire third quarter. Did you even watch the game?

To add to that, 3 of 4 UCLA drives started at least at their own 42. They scored on all 4 drives they had. We had 5 drives and 4 of them started on our 25. The other started on the 16. Two back to back 3 and outs.

Offense

1. We have the most explosive set of skilled positions in the country.
  2. Taylor Martinez has 'dynamic' abilities, but he is no longer a dynamic player. Plays are there he has to take them.

Defense

1. No QB pressure.
  2. Poor Tackling. How is it that when one guys misses a tackle that there is no one around to make a play?
  3. We have the players to be a good defense.

Special Teams

1. Fake punt was the right call, but with a lineman? This is a scheme issue. What other fakes could you even run out of this punt formation? Is the third string guard going to throw an out? C'mon guys, this is big time football here.

General

1. There seems to be no gameplan around field position. Even if defense isn't giving up a ton a points, the huge plays kill field position. This defense does not set up the offense. You can't play swiss cheese defense and expect the offense to go 80+ every time. It's the same with the opposing offense. You're alot more comfortable when you're starting at the 50 most of the time....you can afford to make a mistake.
  2. Would any big time schools look to take any of our assistant coaches? Maybe Joseph......Enough said.
  3. Penalties and turnovers....welcome back.

• Fire 1
1- I cared more than the players and coaches did. Pretty sure that won't be a problem anymore..

This says it best for me. Watching Nebraska play South Dakota State next week would be like washing and waxing your car after it was totalled...by a train.

You know, when Oklahoma used to come in and beat us every year, at least one felt we left it all out there on the field. Yeah, they were heartbreakers and put everybody in a bad mood, but in the end we were usually beat by a better team even after everybody gave 102% from Osborne down to the girl passing out Gatorade.

UCLA wasn't bigger, stronger, or faster than us, and they had an 18 point hole to climb out of at one time. It seemed like the team just zoned out sometime during the second quarter and they all were all just shuffling along in their bunny slippers, waiting for the bus to take them back to their happy place. Didn't we used to have a sports psychologist on staff? I always thought that was ridiculous, but this team really needs someone in their heads, from Bo on down.

• Fire 1

1. Watching Nebraska play South Dakota State next week would be like washing and waxing your car after it was totalled...by a train.

2. Didn't we used to have a sports psychologist on staff? I always thought that was ridiculous, but this team really needs someone in their heads, from Bo on down.

1. I laughed hard...you're right.
  2. My old man and I had the exact same conversation. We use to laugh about stuff like that, but seriously...what's up?