Jason Peter's thoughts on Bo, and Nebraska football....

Shanle on teams not doing full speed practices (paraphrasing) - players don't learn proper tackling angles and don't get comfortable making adjustments to an offensive player's movements. Running up and just hip tackling a player doesn't recreate the gameday speed, so when players try to make a full speed tackle in a game, they're not as prepared as they could be.

Are you serious, we still don't do ANY full speed practices with contact? WOW

This I can't confirm. There are a couple of posters on this board that say it's true, but I personally can't say whether it is or isn't. And IIRC Shanle didn't say whether or not Nebraska runs practice this way - he was speaking in generalities about why a lack of full speed practices hurts a team.

Something to consider - he probably wouldn't have said anything unless he thought it was an issue.

Shanle on teams not doing full speed practices (paraphrasing) - players don't learn proper tackling angles and don't get comfortable making adjustments to an offensive player's movements. Running up and just hip tackling a player doesn't recreate the gameday speed, so when players try to make a full speed tackle in a game, they're not as prepared as they could be.

Are you serious, we still don't do ANY full speed practices with contact? WOW

This I can't confirm. There are a couple of posters on this board that say it's true, but I personally can't say whether it is or isn't. And IIRC Shanle didn't say whether or not Nebraska runs practice this way - he was speaking in generalities about why a lack of full speed practices hurts a team.

Something to consider - he probably wouldn't have said anything unless he thought it was an issue.

There's been many discussions lately about a lot of teams doing this. Some team actually does tackling drills into a pole vault pit so they don't take as big of blows. If this is true it's not like it's just Nebraska doing this.

Jason Peter is no different in his thoughts as we (the older folks) are when it comes to kids these days. The youth of today are a bunch of whiney ass babies and don't want to work for anything. I know this doesn't describe all of todays youth but I'm sure it reflects on a majority of them. Jason always brings up the glory days and how they used to play and act and I think he has a valid point with it. Read Paul's book and you get an idea of how they were back then and all of them say it was the mentality that the team had. They wanted to be the best and nothing was going to stop them, not even their own teammates.

• Fire 1