Tommy or RKIII

Warrior10

Can you imagine if Armstrong threw for 300, and ran for another 100? There would be a ton of Martinez haters coming out to ignite a QB controversy....

The thing is, in this day and age, those that want to quell any discussion or criticism as "hate speech". Happens here and in politics, pretty effective strategy, sadly.

99% of what I see here discussed about Martinez isnt personal, spiteful or hate speech

Sure there are always looney tunes in any bin, but that really isnt the case with the majority here who have talked about TM/. Yeah some of the nitwits in the stands give him too much credit when NU wins and too much grief when NU loses.

Like most NU fans, I like the kid, love his heart, wish him the best but see he has so too many flaws for us to be a top 10 or Championship team

I root for all our QBs no matter who is in there

I certainly wont be hoping TA cans it and barely gets by, I hope he has a great game

THe coaching staff then plays who they think gives the team the best chance to win, hopefully there is no agenda other than that in their minds when that decision is made

Can you imagine if Armstrong threw for 300, and ran for another 100? There would be a ton of Martinez haters coming out to ignite a QB controversy....

We already have a controversy. We've had it for 3 years now.

Martinez's starting job has been as secure as any QB in the country the past two years.... I don't know where you're coming from....

It's been a small controversy. Only a few of us cool people were in on it until this season.

zbAZgFs.png

I hope that no one picking RK3 is actually serious. There shouldn't be a question who starts this game. If RK3 is our next best QB then we have some real development issues. Shouldn't even be a contest. Let's hope the coaches are just using coach speak about both being 'right there.'

OR.... We're really good at developing QB's... Huh?

Nah. It should be pretty evident to everyone that Kellogg is not suited for the job. He's obviously out of shape, and from everything he's shown (i.e. Spring Game, scrub duty) he should not be in position to start at quarterback for a major college football team. No way this guy would be the starter if he was on the other sideline Saturday. Nothing against the guy, sure he works hard and is living out a dream...but the competition can't be as close as the coaches say.

We already have a controversy. We've had it for 3 years now.

Martinez's starting job has been as secure as any QB in the country the past two years.... I don't know where you're coming from....

It's been a small controversy. Only a few of us cool people were in on it until this season.

zbAZgFs.png

RedPhoenix you look exactly how I thought you probably did.

If you start the game with RKIII and he just dominates, how do you justify bringing in Tommy? Maybe if you lay out in advance each will start one half and then the call will be made from there based on performance. I'm all for giving RK the start based on his lifetime contribution to the program, but you set yourself up to look pretty cold if you yank him when he is dominating. just my thoughts.

I don't get the sentiment to start RKIII, because "it would be the nice thing to do for him for his years of service". You start the best guy, period!!!

Thank you! I can't believe some of these posts and related logic. Always glad when a rational Husker fan speaks up. This is probably the same type of poster who would also say TM is the best guy even hurt.

It's ok to disagree, but make some darn sense please!

I don't get the sentiment to start Tommy..Is it a fear that if we upset him, he'll transfer to NC State or Tulsa? Or is it just so some yahoos can start calling someone "Touchdown Tommy" again?

I hope we get to see them both play and hopefully do well..But I really doubt Bo will want to do anything more than very vanilla.. So it won't make it any more difficult to put Taylor back in when he gets halfway healed...Maybe 15% healed. If Tommy really is the "Future of our Program", I really doubt a couple dozen fewer plays against the best Junior College team from a directional Dakota will really make that much difference.

I also hope they get more than one series at a time to get into a proper rhythm

I don't get the sentiment to start RKIII, because "it would be the nice thing to do for him for his years of service". You start the best guy, period!!!

Thank you! I can't believe some of these posts and related logic. Always glad when a rational Husker fan speaks up. This is probably the same type of poster who would also say TM is the best guy even hurt.

It's ok to disagree, but make some darn sense please!

I don't get the sentiment to start Tommy..Is it a fear that if we upset him, he'll transfer to NC State or Tulsa? Or is it just so some yahoos can start calling someone "Touchdown Tommy" again?

I hope we get to see them both play and hopefully do well..But I really doubt Bo will want to do anything more than very vanilla.. So it won't make it any more difficult to put Taylor back in when he gets halfway healed...Maybe 15% healed. If Tommy really is the "Future of our Program", I really doubt a couple dozen fewer plays against the best Junior College team from a directional Dakota will really make that much difference.

I also hope they get more than one series at a time to get into a proper rhythm

Many are hoping the future is now and TA takes over for TM for good. TA was our highest rated QB recruit in a while, RK III is a walk on. Why wouldn't people expect TA to have more talent? What's wrong with that?

Your post went awry quickly when you used the term "yahoos" to describe anyone excited to see TA play, that's pretty weak.

TO learned in the 80s and 90s you don't sit talent even if young. If you want to keep your job by winning enough, you can't be afraid to play your young talent (e.g. Gill, Frazier, even TM at one time).

Tommy's just a freshman. There's no urgency. I think if we do see him we'll see a guy with a lot of potential, but not a lot of polish. Keeping in mind how derailed Cody Green got with having to play too early and under high pressure circumstances, I think the best scenario we could hope for for Tommy is that he'll have some ample development time on the field this year, but Taylor returns healthy and finishes his career a starter before passing the baton. At that point he'd have the inside track for the job heading into the spring, in what's already shaping up to be a nice battle with Stanton.

• Fire 1

Hopefully Martin-ez is able to go. Even at 85%, still our best bet. Let him set the tempo and rhythm get up, and get him out.

I'm in the crowd of pound Ameer, Cross, and newby.

But whoever starts I'd like them to know they have the full backing of staff and players to get a good 6-7 series of action. If we can score on 3 or 4 of them providing our D can do what they're capable of, then start a rotation.

If Martin-ez can't play, whoever starts deserves the time to go up and down. No quick hooks. If its New TD Tommy, let him learn in the fire. If it's RKIII, let him figure it out. I think we'll mudstomp NDS. So plan on numerous series in a row, even if it's a rotation of numerous series in a row.

Lets not pretend for a minute the players have not been affected by the drama of the past 10 days leading up to UCLA and after. We need some consistency and time to crush a lesser team and let the emotion wear off before we yank players in and out. (That's why I l'd like TM to at least start, even of for a series or 3).

How about a package of plays each backup is fully confident they can run and succeed with. That's what I saw agaisnt SMiss: RKIII threw it, New TD Tommy ran it. It was packaged.

2 cheers to having TM ready for B1G play and our best player playing. I think we go on a nice little streak starting this week. Like, "they'll show us who they're playing for" (it ain't us, or espn, or their mom, or the 'tradition', or anyone else except the guy next to them.) Amen