Tommy or RKIII

Warrior10

I don't get the sentiment to start RKIII, because "it would be the nice thing to do for him for his years of service". You start the best guy, period!!!

Thank you! I can't believe some of these posts and related logic. Always glad when a rational Husker fan speaks up. This is probably the same type of poster who would also say TM is the best guy even hurt.

It's ok to disagree, but make some darn sense please!

the coaches have gone to RKIII over Armstrong before. Rational and logical is not defined in terms of agreement with Knoxville Husker.

Your logic makes no sense either. The coaches thankfully decided to preserve TA's redshirt, rather than waste it on the garbage time minutes RK III got last year.

they have gone to RGIII and Armstrong this year.

I advocate the other way... go with Armstrong. But... both have played a little this year and the question of the one over the other is legit as RKIII has been given minutes (as has Armstrong). Knoxville... grow up some man.

I don't get the sentiment to start RKIII, because "it would be the nice thing to do for him for his years of service". You start the best guy, period!!!

Thank you! I can't believe some of these posts and related logic. Always glad when a rational Husker fan speaks up. This is probably the same type of poster who would also say TM is the best guy even hurt.

the coaches have gone to RKIII over Armstrong before. Rational and logical is not defined in terms of agreement with Knoxville Husker.

Your logic makes no sense either. The coaches thankfully decided to preserve TA's redshirt, rather than waste it on the garbage time minutes RK III got last year.

they have gone to RGIII and Armstrong this year.

I advocate the other way... go with Armstrong. But... both have played a little this year and the question of the one over the other is legit as RKIII has been given minutes (as has Armstrong). Knoxville... grow up some man.

It seems our main points of discussion are ones on which we agree, in particular what I stated:

1) Playing an injured mobile QB that needs the time to get healthy does not make sense.

2) Going with RK III as some sort of career loyalty award if TA is the better player makes little sense either.

Those are both points I have seen offered by other posters, and sorry if you don't like the manner in which I took exception to those (in my opinion at least) clearly flawed takes.

My perspective on this also related to who to go with to provide the best chance to win with the game on the line. I was not really correlating it to which QB got in first in garbage time against SMU.

I appreciate that Kellog has put his time in in the program and been a standup guy. But, if TA is slated to be our guy next year, right now is the time to start getting him ready. And thats by announcing he is the starter early, let him start the mental preparation that the starting QB has to do knowing it is "his" game coming up. Give his a taste of the entire experience that goes into being the starter. Then maybe next year the jitters of being the starter will have been eased a bit.

I appreciate that Kellog has put his time in in the program and been a standup guy. But, if TA is slated to be our guy next year, right now is the time to start getting him ready. And thats by announcing he is the starter early, let him start the mental preparation that the starting QB has to do knowing it is "his" game coming up. Give his a taste of the entire experience that goes into being the starter. Then maybe next year the jitters of being the starter will have been eased a bit.

I completely agree. Let the kid get started.

Playing TM so the team can get into a rythm?

We've had no rythm on offense with the exception of some flashes here and there and of course against an 0-14 team

We are more herky jerky than a 1970s Jaguar running on cheap gas

I agree putting a Freshman kid in against Oklahoma with his first real action starting from your own 10 yard line doesnt make sense

But this is South Dakota State, the perfect time to play TA

Every week we see reports from all over the country about Freshman making impacts in College football, why can't it happen here?

You're right, with all of it.

The real question is determining the value of what each player brings to the table. TM is our best option at quarterback all things considered, by far and away, especially with the mental part of the game. There's no substitute for starting 30+ games. There's just not, no matter what potential or "it" factor a younger guy may have.

Obviously, TM's injury take away a large part of what makes him special/dangerous, which changes the whole dynamic. Because of this, I'm sure the coaches are debating right now whether a limping Martinez gives us a better chance to win over RKIII or TA.

I'm confident they'll make the right decision. I'd love Martinez to heal up a bit and see TA play, but a lot of that has to do with TA being that shiny new toy everybody wants to see. Regardless, a lot of these coaches know they may be on the chopping block, so there's probably a new sense of urgency to figure out the best starter.

Hopefully Martin-ez is able to go. Even at 85%, still our best bet. Let him set the tempo and rhythm get up, and get him out.

Im still going with this is absolutely absurd. Turf toe is an injury that lingers, and we should sit Taylor if he is not 100%.

Who do you think has the best chance of leading us to a B1G title this year? an 75-80% TM or a 100% TM? Give Taylor three weeks to heal up and be ready for B1G play. Saying otherwise is absolutely asinine. An unhealthy Martinez is a recipe for disaster for this offense as we rely on his running ability to slow down defenses. We saw how well it worked out when Taylor couldn't run in the UCLA game. I would prefer not to frak around with this crap against a team we should handily beat with our backup QB.

fine, but if either backup struggles i don't want to hear one damn word from anyone about the sky falling because we couldn't get 50 points out of our backups agasint NDSU.

watching high school film and 15 plays of mop up duty against an 0-15 team and everyone is ready to anoint the 2nd coming of tommie frazier. that's ridiculous. plain freaking stupid actually.

I don't get the sentiment to start Tommy..Is it a fear that if we upset him, he'll transfer to NC State or Tulsa? Or is it just so some yahoos can start calling someone "Touchdown Tommy" again?

I hope we get to see them both play and hopefully do well..But I really doubt Bo will want to do anything more than very vanilla.. So it won't make it any more difficult to put Taylor back in when he gets halfway healed...Maybe 15% healed. If Tommy really is the "Future of our Program", I really doubt a couple dozen fewer plays against the best Junior College team from a directional Dakota will really make that much difference.

I also hope they get more than one series at a time to get into a proper rhythm

I wasn't arguing for either Kellogg or TA to start. I was just commenting on the posts that "Kellogg should start because it would be neat for him, and would be a reward for all the hard work he has put in at NU." The starter/guy who should get the most snaps is the guy who is the best option period, whether its Kellogg or TA.

Hopefully Martin-ez is able to go. Even at 85%, still our best bet. Let him set the tempo and rhythm get up, and get him out.

Im still going with this is absolutely absurd. Turf toe is an injury that lingers, and we should sit Taylor if he is not 100%.

Who do you think has the best chance of leading us to a B1G title this year? an 75-80% TM or a 100% TM? Give Taylor three weeks to heal up and be ready for B1G play. Saying otherwise is absolutely asinine. An unhealthy Martinez is a recipe for disaster for this offense as we rely on his running ability to slow down defenses. We saw how well it worked out when Taylor couldn't run in the UCLA game. I would prefer not to frak around with this crap against a team we should handily beat with our backup QB.

fine, but if either backup struggles i don't want to hear one damn word from anyone about the sky falling because we couldn't get 50 points out of our backups agasint NDSU.

watching high school film and 15 plays of mop up duty against an 0-15 team and everyone is ready to anoint the 2nd coming of tommie frazier. that's ridiculous. plain freaking stupid actually.

I'm not saying TA is the second coming of Frazier, but if he is to be the future next year then if Taylor is not 100% then there is no reason not to start somebody in his place. I do not care whether we win this next game by 30 or by 3. I just do not want to prolong the injury that is completely limiting Taylors best asset.

If we are to win the B1G then we need a healthy Martinez, and starting him in a game thats as sure a bet as you have when he is not 100% is just stupid.