Honest Question for everyone with a poll

Who do you think hurt the program most?  

117 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I have heard this from a few people on here, some people on media sights, and had this conversation with a friend. What I have heard, is how Bo has hurt the image and the reputation of this program. My problem is, how in the hell can you blame it on Bo? Frida's Boss' status update has made me want to make a topic about this. I do NOT want to turn this into a "fire Bo" topic, rather just a sensible discussion on why you think, or don't think Bo is the reason that we lost our national reputation.

I personally thought we lost national reputation after the embarrassing loss against Colorado in '01, followed by the flat performance in the BCS game against Miami. We may not have lost all credibility then, but going 7-7 the following year. The next year, we went 10-3 and fired Solich, while not even winning our division. Under Solich, we won our division one time, and that same year, we won the CCG. 1 year out of 5 we won the North. I have bolded everything that has hurt our reputation (I could have bolded every loss, but I chose to do the ones that we should have NEVER lost, or our blown out games)

Red is reputable, and black is what has hurt us. I could bold all losses, but I figured it would be nicer to see the ones that hurt us the most. If I forgot something, let me know, I will add.

1998- 9-4. Year after winning the MNC, under new head coach, we lost to #18 Texas A&M 21-28, (NR) Texas 16-20 (we were #7), #2 K State 30-40, #5 Arizona 20-23, Notable win #9 Washington 55-7. No division win.

1999- 12-1, Only loss to #18 Texas 20-24, this hurt us, since we were favored to win at #3 in the country. Notable wins #21 Texas A&M 37-0, #5 K State 41-15, #12 Texas 22-6, #6 Tennessee 31-21. CCG champs, Big 12 North Champs, BCS Fiesta Bowl Champs.

2000- 10-2, while losing the two big games on our schedule and not winning our division. #3 Oklahoma 14-31 and #16 K State 28-29. Notable wins, #23 Notre Dame 27-24 & #18 Northwestern 66-17. No division win.

2001- 11-2, We had a pretty good season until #14 Colorado 36-62. We didn't win our division, but we found ourself in the BCS game against #1 Miami 14-37, where we again, dropped the ball and got embarrassed. Notable wins #17 Notre Dame 27-10 & #2 Oklahoma 20-10. No division win.

2002- 7-7, we lost every big game we had. We played on national television while getting blownout by unranked Penn State 7-40. That following weekend, we played #19 Iowa State 14-36, IMO a blowout. We then lost to Okie State 21-24, #7 Texas 24-27, and yet another blowout by #11 K State 13-49. After that, close losses to #13 Colorado 13-28 and Ole Miss 23-27. Each blowout we had, was on ABC, primetime national coverage. The others were on FSN and bowl game, ESPN. No division win. Defeated no ranked opponents.

2003- 10/3, Only quality ranked opponent we won against was #24 Okie State 17-7. We got blown out against (NR) Mizzou 24-41, #16 Texas 7-31, (NR) Kansas 9-38. Solich goes bye bye. No division win.

From here, we hire Bill Callahan, who didn't help our reputation. Actually he worsened in. I don't think much explaining needs to be done here.

2004- 5-6. No Bowl game. We didn't get blown out by (NR) Southern Miss 17-21, but we did lose to them, so I would consider this a huge loss in NU rep, especially since it was on ABC. Our next lost was to (NR) Texas Tech 10-70, (NR) K. State 21-45, Iowa St 27-34 (bold if you would like), #2 Oklahoma 3-30, and finally Colorado 20-26. No division win. Defeated no ranked opponents.

2005- 8-4. Only ranked opponent we beat on our schedule (minus bowl game), #23 Iowa St. We lost to #15 Texas Tech 31-34, (NR) Mizzou 24-41, (NR) Oklahoma 24-31, (NR) Kansas 15-40. We went to a bowl game and beat #20 Michigan 32-28. No division win.

2006- 9-5. Big 12 North Champs, lost CCG. First loss to #4 USC 10-28 (not bolding since we weren't favored). #5 Texas 20-22, Okie State, 29-41, CCG #10 Oklahoma 7-21, #10 Auburn 14-17. We didn't really get blown out, unless you count the USC game, or the Okie St game since we got scored on by 41. I wouldn't say any of these games hurt our reputation, but we definitely didn't improve it. Ranked wins #25 Mizzou 34-20 & #23 A&M 28-27. No division win.

2007- 5-7, once again. No bowl game. First loss to #1 USC 31-49. Next loss to #17 Mizzou 6-41, (NR) Okie St 14-45, (NR) Texas A&M 14-36, #16 Texas 25-28, #8 Kansas 39-76, and (NR) Colorado 51-65. Callahan Fired after the Colorado loss. No division win. Defeated no ranked opponents.

Here we hire Bo. Someone to help try and get our program back to what it use to be. What do you count as use to be though? Solich days? No, we expected Tom Osborne results immediately (just reffering we as general fan base).

2008- 9-4. First loss to (NR) V Tech 30-35, followed by, #4 Mizzouri 17-52, #7 Texas Tech 31-37, #4 Oklahoma 28-62. We were counted as Big 12 North co-champs, but lets face it, that means nothing. No division win.Defeated no ranked opponents.

2009- 10-4. Again first loss to #13 V Tech 15-16. Next loss was to (NR) Texas Tech 10-31, (NR) Iowa St 7-9 (bolded because of turnovers and it being ISU), #3 Texas 12-13 in the CCG.Notable win, #20 Oklahoma 10-3. Big 12 North Champs. Lost CCG.

2010- 10-4. Loss to (NR) Texas 13-20, while gaining big wins against #17 Okie State 51-41 & #7 Mizzou 31-17. Loss to # 18 Texas A&M 6-9, #10 Oklahoma 20-23, I bolded because we folded in that game and got outcoached the 2nd half. Big 12 North Champs. Lost CCG.

2011- 9-4. Loss to #7 Wisconsin 17-48, (NR) Northwestern 25-28 (bolded because it was a home game and a game we were suppose to win while first year in the B1G), #20 Michigan 17-45, #10 South Carolina 13-30. Notable win #12 Penn State 17-14. No division win.

2012- 10-4. Loss to (NR) UCLA 30-36 (600 yards allowed), #12 Ohio St 38-63, (NR) Wisconsin @ CCG 31-70, #6 Georgia 31-45. Notable win #20 Michigan 23-9. BIG divison Champs, CCG loss.

2013- 2-1 (so far). Wyoming may have been a win, but they get bolded for yards allowed IMO. Loss to #16 UCLA 21-41.

Damn, that was a lot of work, but all I am saying, is this program was tarnished nationally far before Bo got here. I don't think its necessarily fair to put all the blame on Bo. I think he has helped shape our image more than he has hurt us. His sideline demeanor puts a bad image on him because of how much the media exaggerates it. The audio tape, lets not get into that one lol. Since TO has left here, we have went downhill. Bo I believe is the only coach who has stabalized us. Are we a national threat yet? No, no way. We will have to wait and see how the rest of this year plays out to call this year done yet.

• Fire 2

Steve Pederson!

This. Because Pederson was an arrogant jackass without a plan. The coaching search after he fired Solich was an utter clusterf#@k. If Pederson had managed that process better we would not have lost a half a decade of Husker football. Pederson is the villain more than Callahan.

• Fire 4

Steve Pederson!

This. Because Pederson was an arrogant jackass without a plan. The coaching search after he fired Solich was an utter clusterf#@k. If Pederson had managed that process better we would not have lost a half a decade of Husker football. Pederson is the villain more than Callahan.

+1

I went with the coach that shall not be named only because the AD that shall not be named wasn't listed.

I went with Bo. Obviously Cal... was a horrible fit and didn't help us but some teams during his tenure weren't regarded as very good teams if I remember correctly. He had a decent year when we lost to OU in the CCG but other than that nothing special.

Now the reason I picked Pelini is based all on perception to me. Pelini has had teams that were expected to contend for conference titles, BCS bowls and if something crazy happens a MNC. He has yet to accomplish any of those things. Now not accomplishing these things would be acceptable if he wouldn't continue to get blown out on national TV in the biggest games of the year. I just feel like the program has stalled and we are headed for another 10 win season with no CCG win.

Should have added I am a Bo supporter but I feel the way we continuously lose games is very damaging to our national appeal

Edited by wiuhusker

I went with Bo. Obviously Cal... was a horrible fit and didn't help us but some teams during his tenure weren't regarded as very good teams if I remember correctly. He had a decent year when we lost to OU in the CCG but other than that nothing special.

Now the reason I picked Pelini is based all on perception to me. Pelini has had teams that were expected to contend for conference titles, BCS bowls and if something crazy happens a MNC. He has yet to accomplish any of those things. Now not accomplishing these things would be acceptable if he wouldn't continue to get blown out on national TV in the biggest games of the year. I just feel like the program has stalled and we are headed for another 10 win season with no CCG win.

What? Every single one of Bo's teams has contended for conference titles. And while Bo obviously hasn't gotten over the hump of what we had expected him to do, "another 10 win season" is certainly better than anything Callahan pulled off. I don't think Bo is great, but he got us back to a quality baseline. Callahan and Pederson dipped far below anything that ever should be allowed to happen.