Pelini's Formal Apology

QMany

you're competitive in the big games or you're gone.

Ah, yes....a reminder of the 70's when TO was getting beat regularly by OU (by 20+ points) and the late 80's and early 90's when TO couldn't win a bowl game for 7 straight years (wow!! 7 straight years).

Ok so during those time periods TO was losing to Oklahoma, Florida State and Miami (mostly on their home turf) and one of the seven was to Georgia Tech. He was losing to the uppercrust. Nothing to be ashamed of about that. And a 20+ point loss is not the same as letting schools rack up 40+.

And now...for the real argument. It's the way the team plays....losing AND winning. Sloppy. Sloppy. Sloppy. Players talking about how they didn't leave it all on the field and such...that's what most have issue with.

Ah, yes....a reminder of the 70's when TO was getting beat regularly by OU (by 20+ points) and the late 80's and early 90's when TO couldn't win a bowl game for 7 straight years (wow!! 7 straight years).

Ok so during those time periods TO was losing to Oklahoma, Florida State and Miami (mostly on their home turf) and one of the seven was to Georgia Tech. He was losing to the uppercrust. Nothing to be ashamed of about that. And a 20+ point loss is not the same as letting schools rack up 40+.

And now...for the real argument. It's the way the team plays....losing AND winning. Sloppy. Sloppy. Sloppy. Players talking about how they didn't leave it all on the field and such...that's what most have issue with.

Apples and Oranges, no question about it

At least Brian Kelly has been to a National Championship, Urban's and Saban's records speaks for its self, and Will...don't care. Is yelling the modus operandi for coaches above? Do recruits want to come here so they can get yelled at on national TV?

So you can only yell if you've won a national title or been there? Oh, ok.

Excuses for everyone else!

Still didn't like the details in the conversation on USC yesterday.... Mike'l and John said they "knew" he tried for Ohio St., Penn. St., and Miami....

The Mike'l rant in the beginning of the Dirk Chatlein segment of today's podcast was interesting he made some great points.... He said (paraphrasing) that if he was a Nebraska fan he would be pissed that Bo looked for multiple jobs, and some fans are silly for believing that he didn't mean what he said.... Lots of fantastic points....

I guess they need something to fill air time. Pelini looking at other positions is a complete non-issue.

Non-issue in that it doesn't bother you, or that you don't believe he has looked at other jobs in the past?

In that it doesn't bother. Who cares if he looks for other jobs? What fantasy world are people living in?

I love my job and am always looking to see what is out there. It is what you are supposed to do.

The fan base is constantly calling for coaches heads and yet he isn't supposed to keep his options open? Ridiculous!

Coaches are hired to be fired. Any and every coach is stupid not to look and listen. If nothing else you can leverage a raise out of it.

The other side of that coin....I can guarantee you if my employers knew I was actively seeking a job elsewhere, they would be looking for my replacement and probably make the move before I could. So it's ok for Bo to look...but now we all know he is so I expect the university is doing their due dilligence. Bo may have accelerated things...

Not exactly. There are occupations where the number of qualified candidates is limited. A division I coach (in any sport) is one of these occupations. In my position, there are 1000's of potential candidates that would have minimum qualifications for my job in the city I live in alone. A division I coach is a unique position.

I guess I see it a little differently. Win what we can, lose what we must but be competitive. No requirements of CC from me. I do not think we are even close to being the best team in the conference at this time, and will fall farther the longer Hoke and Meyer are recruiting. Just be competitive every game. I think we are expecting too much from him. The talent is not here to win this conference, but it is good enough to keep us in the park. That is all I expect and want. If it is better, fantastic.

We may have the 4th or 5th best staff at best in the conference. We are getting what we wanted, a firey defensive coordinator trying to learn to be a good head coach. Time will tell if he can be.

I disagree that we don't have the talent to win the conference this year. We lack the fundamentals to win the conference this year...the same lack of fundamentals we've had for the last 2 years. Can win games if you can't tackle properly, or protect the football, or constantly get bad penalties, or don't play your quarterback's strengths...it's ALL coaching. Period.

I think we'll find out more about our talent in the weeks to come. I like the speed of our young guys on defense. I'm disappointed in some of our upperclassmen on defense on the defensive line and in the secondary. We need Ankrah and Randle to step up, and Evans may be good in coverage but has issues with open field tackling. And the bottom line at quarterback in my opinion is if Martinez wheels are hobbled, he's not our best option at quarterback. It's a tall task, but I'm hoping the quarterback change will provide a needed boost to our offense which I believe is much more disappointing than our defense.

At least Brian Kelly has been to a National Championship, Urban's and Saban's records speaks for its self, and Will...don't care. Is yelling the modus operandi for coaches above? Do recruits want to come here so they can get yelled at on national TV?

Just watch a game where they coach and you will see them getting emotional and yelling, Saban flips his lid even when he's winning. I seriously wonder if you've played a competitive sport at any level, because if you have and you ever f'd up you would know you were going to get yelled at. Maybe not by your head coach, but a position coach will more than like chew you out. Sometime you've got to raise your voice to reach someone. I'm not going to defend a coach who degrades his players verbally, but from all accounts Bo isn't doing that. Further more he's been very relaxed this year compared to years past, I've watched him on the sidelines at every game this year, and unless guys are screwing up the same way over and over, a la Evans tackling, Santos poor play, corners blowing coverages, he takes them aside and just talks to them when they come off.

If Bo is such an evil guy why do his former players constantly come up to bat for him when the fans or the media are ripping him?

Yes, the sloppy play rebuttal. Since one of Pelini's blowouts was to an undefeated Ohio State team, do we put an asterisk on that like you are doing with the Georgia Tech game above for Osborne? And by the way, here's the scores from the OU games in 1973, 75 and 77. In 1973, OU 27, Nebraska 0. That's a 27 point differential and Nebraska was shut out. Probably a good thing there wasn't internet after that game. In 1975, OU 35, Nebraska 10. A 25 point differential. Ouch. In 1977, OU 38, Nebraska 7. (38-7=31) holy blowout Batman......it might be time to consider other coaching options.

Yes, the sloppy play rebuttal. Since one of Pelini's blowouts was to an undefeated Ohio State team, do we put an asterisk on that like you are doing with the Georgia Tech game above for Osborne? And by the way, here's the scores from the OU games in 1973, 75 and 77. In 1973, OU 27, Nebraska 0. That's a 27 point differential and Nebraska was shut out. Probably a good thing there wasn't internet after that game. In 1975, OU 35, Nebraska 10. A 25 point differential. Ouch. In 1977, OU 38, Nebraska 7. (38-7=31) holy blowout Batman......it might be time to consider other coaching options.

difference is Bo is getting blown out by multiple teams not just 1 team in the conference.

difference is Bo is getting blown out by multiple teams not just 1 team in the conference.

I'm not disputing there are differences......but there are also similarities that are wise to consider before Nebraska becomes a coaching carousel.

I guess I see it a little differently. Win what we can, lose what we must but be competitive. No requirements of CC from me. I do not think we are even close to being the best team in the conference at this time, and will fall farther the longer Hoke and Meyer are recruiting. Just be competitive every game. I think we are expecting too much from him. The talent is not here to win this conference, but it is good enough to keep us in the park. That is all I expect and want. If it is better, fantastic.

We may have the 4th or 5th best staff at best in the conference. We are getting what we wanted, a firey defensive coordinator trying to learn to be a good head coach. Time will tell if he can be.

I disagree that we don't have the talent to win the conference this year. We lack the fundamentals to win the conference this year...the same lack of fundamentals we've had for the last 2 years. Can win games if you can't tackle properly, or protect the football, or constantly get bad penalties, or don't play your quarterback's strengths...it's ALL coaching. Period.

I think we'll find out more about our talent in the weeks to come. I like the speed of our young guys on defense. I'm disappointed in some of our upperclassmen on defense on the defensive line and in the secondary. We need Ankrah and Randle to step up, and Evans may be good in coverage but has issues with open field tackling. And the bottom line at quarterback in my opinion is if Martinez wheels are hobbled, he's not our best option at quarterback. It's a tall task, but I'm hoping the quarterback change will provide a needed boost to our offense which I believe is much more disappointing than our defense.

A Sirius sports show guy said former Colorado coach Rick Neuheisel made a comment about Nebraska's lack of speed compared to the teams he faced. I don't know if that's actually true or coaches just like to say things like that?

But those were proven coaches against championship quality teams?? That it's not always greener over there is something to consider but something to also consider is that Bo knew being competitive against the best was the deal coming in and it would be wise for him to NOT try to hide behind stats from a bunch of cupcake games. At some point every fanbase is gonna say enough is enough and give somebody else a shot.

I'm not disputing there are differences......but there are also similarities that are wise to consider before Nebraska becomes a coaching carousel.

So you are saying 6 years is not enough to know if you have the guy you are looking for? Sure Bo has a good 2 years but we aren't going anywhere. We are beating who we are suppose to but lose badly to the others. With the way Bo picked his OC and DC, i don't think you can say to Bo you can't pick your OC and DC.