Scott Frost would be the only person that I see that would have genuine interest in the job at NU. I think a lot of the names thrown around in this thread are pipe dreams.

Why would you think NU would be so unattractive to potential coaches? NU has great history. great facilities. Is in a fine conference. has some athletes on board that are pretty good. Has a good academic history for athletes. We have a record sellout streak, great support. And NU has $ to offer.

There are, of course, better programs and higher level coaching positions... but NU is still an attractive option. I do not buy the argument of "NU's fan and administration's expectations are too high" as an argument against a coach coming here." Expectations are high in many places and media scrutiny abounds in many places. NU is not special in that way.

NU has appeal... not like it used to... but it still has appeal. They should not have to settle for hiring a newbie coach with no experience.

It would be the same song and dance after Solich was fired. No coach wants to go to a program where even if you win 10 games that's never going to be good enough.

That is total and complete BS. If that was the case then Kelly wouldn't have gone to ND, and Hoke wouldn't have gone to UM. People didn't want to come after Frank was fired because they took a look at how little talent that was on that team and with an idiot AD that demanded unrealistic results, anyone with half a brain didn't want to come here. There are holes on this team, esp on both lines, but a coach that isn't scared to recruit against the big boys and understands that recruiting is his lifeblood will succeed here.

Frank and Bo have gotten their butt kicked because they had your defeatist attitude towards recruiting. If you give up on the most talented kids without really trying, then those same kids are going to kick your butt on the field.

So we need a coach that isn't scared to recruit against the big boys, but expect them to come here when Bo was too scared to and now we have glaring holes? Got it.

And for the record, I am a Bo supporter, I don't want him to leave and I've made that known on here.

What are anyone's thoughts on Ken Wisenhunt? He is experienced and is now the OC for the Chargers who are doing well on O. he is quite legit.

Of course, he might have no interest in college. But if he does...

There are lots of guys like that (or, at least, a handful) of people who one might contact. there is always hope. Pound the streets hard and NU can get someone good.

Scott Frost needs 5-6 years of success as a Head Coach elsewhere before he should at all be considered. go with proven experience (not proven incompetence like Callahan had when NU hired him --- experience is not enough --- it must be experience w/ success)

No to Scott Frost. Just no, no and no. He will eventually be a very good hire for someone, but his first head coaching gig is nowhere near the caliber of Nebraska, not at this point in his career. He needs to be a full-fledged coordinator at the division one level for at least a few years and even then I'd say he's only ready for middle-to-lower tier HC position.

I could care less if they have ties to Nebraska or not. Makes no difference. We have tried the successful coordinator run, if we change, get a qualified head coach, that knows the ropes in all facets of the job. Not an NFL coach, but a prove college coach. Recruiting makes or breaks a program, NFL coaches do not do it and most have not for a very long time.

I could care less if they have ties to Nebraska or not. Makes no difference. We have tried the successful coordinator run, if we change, get a qualified head coach, that knows the ropes in all facets of the job. Not an NFL coach, but a prove college coach. Recruiting makes or breaks a program, NFL coaches do not do it and most have not for a very long time.

I'd have to agree. If/when Nebraska makes a head coaching change (whenever that may be) I'd like to see them give serious consideration to a qualified, current/former head coach.

It would be the same song and dance after Solich was fired. No coach wants to go to a program where even if you win 10 games that's never going to be good enough.

USC finished the 2011 season ranked #6 in the country.

Less than 12 months ago, USC was ranked #9.

USC fired their coach at 4 .am. Sunday morning. I predict they will have no problem finding qualified applicants for their head coaching position.

Any thoughts on Lovie Smith?
Do not know much about him... except he had the Bears for a time. What are your thoughts?

He won a couple divisional titles and took a team to the super bowl. He had a career NFL coaching record of 81-63 in the regular season and 3-3 in the playoffs. Nothing spectacular, but above average. He has a strong Christian faith that may fit well with the Nebraska culture.

That is total and complete BS. If that was the case then Kelly wouldn't have gone to ND, and Hoke wouldn't have gone to UM. People didn't want to come after Frank was fired because they took a look at how little talent that was on that team and with an idiot AD that demanded unrealistic results, anyone with half a brain didn't want to come here. There are holes on this team, esp on both lines, but a coach that isn't scared to recruit against the big boys and understands that recruiting is his lifeblood will succeed here.

Frank and Bo have gotten their butt kicked because they had your defeatist attitude towards recruiting. If you give up on the most talented kids without really trying, then those same kids are going to kick your butt on the field.

Both were coaches at lower-level programs who stepped up. I don't think anyone is arguing that a coach in that position wouldn't be interested in the head job here. But most of the coaches listed above do not fit that description.

Both were coaches at lower-level programs who stepped up. I don't think anyone is arguing that a coach in that position wouldn't be interested in the head job here. But most of the coaches listed above do not fit that description.

I would also like to point out that Charlie Weis and Rich Rod weren't winning 9 or more games every season either.

It's been said before, but Peterson is comfortable in Boise and probably won't leave, especially with having a very sick son. If he's already turned down huge money from UCLA, I don't see him coming here.

His son is 14 now and supposedly completely healthy now. I think we may have a bigger chance than you'd think. We would have a culture similar enough to what Boise's is like. I say if we'd throw out $3.5-4 mil we might be able to get him.

Scott Frost would be the only person that I see that would have genuine interest in the job at NU. I think a lot of the names thrown around in this thread are pipe dreams.

Why would you think NU would be so unattractive to potential coaches? NU has great history. great facilities. Is in a fine conference. has some athletes on board that are pretty good. Has a good academic history for athletes. We have a record sellout streak, great support. And NU has $ to offer.

There are, of course, better programs and higher level coaching positions... but NU is still an attractive option. I do not buy the argument of "NU's fan and administration's expectations are too high" as an argument against a coach coming here." Expectations are high in many places and media scrutiny abounds in many places. NU is not special in that way.

NU has appeal... not like it used to... but it still has appeal. They should not have to settle for hiring a newbie coach with no experience.

No it isn't.

MU and ND were completely different situations. Charlie Cheeseburger was fired after a 5-7 season and Lloyd was fired the season they lost to Appalachain St. Huge difference than being fired the day after you beat Colorado to secure a 9 win season.

No idea where you got the other stuff.

It's been said before, but Peterson is comfortable in Boise and probably won't leave, especially with having a very sick son. If he's already turned down huge money from UCLA, I don't see him coming here.

His son is 14 now and supposedly completely healthy now. I think we may have a bigger chance than you'd think. We would have a culture similar enough to what Boise's is like. I say if we'd throw out $3.5-4 mil we might be able to get him.

Peterson is never, ever, ever going to be fired at Boise -- I'd love to have him, but I don't see the upside for him in taking on a job at Nebraska. If he can't accomplish the moon, he's out, and it's a blemish on his career.

"Pelini is an embarrassment to this University because he yells at his players and talks bad about the fanbase behind closed doors! Lets fire him and hire a guy who cheated on his wife with a female employee, crashed his motorcycle with her on the back and got fired or we could hire another guy that got fired for knowingly breaking NCAA rules and bringing sanctions to his old school!" -Nebraska fan

:facepalm:

I remind you that Coach Osborne did something similar back in the day. Different time, less publicity but still questionable in todays world. Tressel is a good man, errors made true, but my guess a lot of it goes on around the country, and most likely right here in good ole Nebraska. Not everything is reported. His main problem and what got him fired were not the things that had happened but lying about it. And like I said, not many around that have not done something similar to protect their kids, their players or their young enlisted men. It happens every single day, millions of times.

I will give you though that Bo has done a tremendous job on that side of the journal. The main reason I am giving him so much leeway in this situation. I think he is good guy, doing the best he can, learning daily, just hope it translates into being a Head Coach. And do not want him fired for any reason so far. But if we do make a change, make it to someone who knows the in and outs of being a big time college football coach, no more on the job training. We have tried it twice, with Solich and Pelini, and really with Clownahan. I do not think being a NFL head coach without prior college coach, makes them ready, Mora maybe the exception though.

Go ahead and cast stones if your perfect. I am not. I admit it.

I remind you that Coach Osborne did something similar back in the day. Different time, less publicity but still questionable in todays world. Tressel is a good man, errors made true, but my guess a lot of it goes on around the country, and most likely right here in good ole Nebraska. Not everything is reported. His main problem and what got him fired were not the things that had happened but lying about it. And like I said, not many around that have not done something similar to protect their kids, their players or their young enlisted men. It happens every single day, millions of times.

I will give you though that Bo has done a tremendous job on that side of the journal. The main reason I am giving him so much leeway in this situation. I think he is good guy, doing the best he can, learning daily, just hope it translates into being a Head Coach. And do not want him fired for any reason so far. But if we do make a change, make it to someone who knows the in and outs of being a big time college football coach, no more on the job training. We have tried it twice, with Solich and Pelini, and really with Clownahan. I do not think being a NFL head coach without prior college coach, makes them ready, Mora maybe the exception though.

Go ahead and cast stones if your perfect. I am not. I admit it.

No, I never said Im perfect. I think its funny that some posters have said they want Pelini fired because he is an embarrassment to Nebraska. And then say they want coaches that have been fired at other places for their extra curricular activities. What has Pelini done to embarrass this University that you'd be willing to hire these other coaches that have been actual embarrassments to their old Universities and Falcons organization?