**** What Did We Learn ****

Bo focusing on the D obviously helps. Paps seems to be struggling with his limited DC duties, don't see why espnu felt the need to keep showing that butt-chewing. Bo needs to take as control/teach the D as much as possible for the rest of the season. After the season consider bringing in a top-notch DC. Could move Paps to LB/ST's and lose Els. I'm not impressed with our LB's. They are young and in the case of our MLB's I think we ask too much but I'm not impressed at this juncture.

TA had a solid game and I'd start him against Purdue, but I didn't see quite enough where I'd say he should start over a healthy TM. TA has shown enough to where he should be the hands-down starter over RK and not share reps.

• Fire 1

Bo focusing on the D obviously helps. Paps seems to be struggling with his limited DC duties, don't see why espnu felt the need to keep showing that butt-chewing. Bo needs to take as control/teach the D as much as possible for the rest of the season. After the season consider bringing in a top-notch DC. Could move Paps to LB/ST's and lose Els. I'm not impressed with our LB's. They are young and in the case of our MLB's I think we ask too much but I'm not impressed at this juncture.

TA had a solid game and I'd start him against Purdue, but I didn't see quite enough where I'd say he should start over a healthy TM. TA has shown enough to where he should be the hands-down starter over RK and not share reps.

I'd start TA against Purdue to. The schedule sets up for Martinez to return to full health with minimal need for him. Sit him next week, we have a bye the week after and have hime come back against Minnesota.

• Fire 1

1) The offensive line was winning every battle, we have come a long way with our offensive line since 09

2) Abdullah was an absolute man today

3) I think the safety was the first 3 and out we've had with TA under center

4) Every time we blitzed it seemed to result in a big play. I'm not saying go crazy and blitz every play, but our defense looks very comfortable with that aspect

5) Michael Rose was great, start him.

6) Even when the French Interception Machine doesn't get a pick he makes big plays. That bone crushing hit to jar the ball loose was a thing of beauty.

7) Overall I'm happy with what I saw, if our team plays like it did today on a consistent basis we have a very real shot at winning the legends division

I learned from reading this thread that we have a lot of fans who are utterly determined to look at the defense as a glass-half-empty unit. This was an OBVIOUS step forward for the defense, and while it was not yet a complete game, they held a pretty potent Illinois offense to half their typical production.

But rather than look at that, people feel it's more important (cooler? more "realistic?") to point out the flaws. Our championship defenses had flaws. The 2009 defense had flaws.

Celebrate the successes when you have them, even the minor ones. This is a fickle game and success can be quite fleeting.

Here is what a full glass looks like.

1995 Huskers:

The Cornhuskers outscored their opponents 638-174 for an average final of 53-14.

In twelve games, Nebraska trailed only three times. Once against Washington State and twice against Florida. The 1995 Huskers never trailed any of its opponents after the second quarter.

With the exception of Washington State, Nebraska outscored all of its opponents' final scores by halftime. Six of Nebraska's opponents were outscored by the end of the first quarter.

In twelve games, Nebraska amassed 6,748 total yards while holding opponents to just 3,586 for an average of 562 yards to 298.

Comparitively speaking, we currently have less than a half glass.

That was Illinois 15th straight Big 10 loss today.

Honestly, I still don't think Illinois is that bad of a team. I think they will win a fair share of games this year. Now I know Nebraska didn't play perfect, but yesterday I believe we beat a team that very well could beat us on any given day. We just had a very good game plan and we executed for the most part quite a bit better. We beat them. We stepped our level up finally. The team looked amped up. The offense was excited and playing hard. We made some big plays on both sides of the ball. Very encouraging.

Now Illinois could go on to prove me wrong and if so so be it. This is just my judgment by what I saw yesterday.

1. Being an ISU student and finding out at noon on Friday that a good friend in Des Moines is trying to get rid of two Husker tickets is awesome.

2. Driving through thunderstorms that are dropping down tornados and having storm chasers following you is scary.

3. Defense is coming into their own. No, they are not perfect, but they are headed in the right direction and will continue to.

4. A week ago Illinois was a world beater and this game was going to be a struggle.

5. Now Illinois sucks.

6. Two college football games in three days is hard on the voice box.

True,

I believe Illinios is a 5-6 win team, even if they dont make a bowl. Though 39-19 dont sound too godawful lopsided, it was 39-12 until that last drive, which prior to, they had less than 300 yards of offense. Not to mention the missed chances by the offense. We easily shoulda scored over 50 points in that game. Folks shouldnt kid themselves. Nebraska did what they were supposed to do. We dominated that game in all aspects except PAT's.