\\ Purdue Game Discussion Thread //

knapplc

You could say they've taken the interpretation out of the hands of the refs but to me it seems like they've put more emphasis on the interpretation of the rule into the hands of the refs based on how the rule is written. Would another official have called that targeting? But I do agree, hits like SJBs are way more common and according to the rule, they should all be ejections. They need to place more emphasis on the malicious and intentional aspects of the rule and not just broad brush the entire rule

I see what you're saying. Maybe what they should do is have the blanket high hit rule, then go to the replay to determine an ejection. That way refs don't have to decide if it's targeting or not, and the slow motion replay people can determine if it's malicious or especially dangerous rather than a normal high hit. I could live with that.

I think that's key right there. There are always going to be high hits and there will be plays when the ball carrier ducks or lowers himself to brace for the hit putting the defender in a bad spot.