*** What Did We Learn ***

This probably isn't the right thread for this, but I'm going to bring it up anyway.

I had the game DVR'd and watched it last night. One thing really stuck out.

I don't think I saw Papuchis one time the entire game. Where the hell was he?

Watch it again then because he's right on the sideline as usual. Perhaps it was difficult since the B1G network doesn't dedicate one camera to comb the sidelines searching for that Bo blowup like another certain network does

• Fire 1
This probably isn't the right thread for this, but I'm going to bring it up anyway.

I had the game DVR'd and watched it last night. One thing really stuck out.

I don't think I saw Papuchis one time the entire game. Where the hell was he?

Watch it again then because he's right on the sideline as usual. Perhaps it was difficult since the B1G network doesn't dedicate one camera to comb the sidelines searching for that Bo blowup like another certain network does

Exactly.

I learned this team is definitely missing Jake long at TE in the run game.

And today again proved there needs to be a change opposite VV

I think we've REALLY missed Ben Cotton's blocking all year. Long is decent but our TE blocking has been well below average most of the year.

That is the Barney effect. OL gets better, the TE's start to suck.

you do realize that Barny still coaches the OL.

I also learned that Gregory is every bit deserving of the off season hype surrounding him. The guy is a hell of a player and a future NFL star IMO. I also would slap that label on Enunwa. Blocking, receiving, all around great WR.

I'm really pumped at how the DL is playing right now. Would like to see Curry and Maliek in there constantly. This upcoming bye week will again be a great help to this team IMO. This defense is starting to make me believe in them a bit. I know it's been quite a weak schedule thus far but still I'm impressed.

Ron Kellogg is really a damn good player. Does anyone else feel like he could lead this team just as well as anyone else on the roster? Different type of player than TM and TA, but effective nonetheless.

Continue to wonder why Beck feels like we need a "new" "innovative" game plan on offense every week instead of sticking to what is working. Until someone stops it, why the f#*k do you keep changing it? I will say this, TA does throw a great ball, and actually is very good with the deep ball. We will keep that in our hip pocket because it is always a great threat to have and very effective in keeping defenses honest. We just probably don't need to go there as often as we did. Especially trying to hit Enunwa on a deep streak thirty seconds after he just ran a mile the play before.

Good game all around. Hell of a defensive effort. GBR!

Continue to wonder why Beck feels like we need a "new" "innovative" game plan on offense every week instead of sticking to what is working. Until someone stops it, why the f#*k do you keep changing it?

Because when it does get stopped what the hell are you going to do? You don't have anything "innovative" to change it up with. I thought Beck called a pretty good game this week, he was clearly trying to establish the run early and did. When they were slowing it down he went to the air, but for whatever reason TA couldn't execute the passing game. The guy is damned if he does and damned if he doesn't. Yes there are times he gets too cute, running Cross wide 3 times in a row against SDSU was stupid, but if you pay attention they're also a method to his madness. If you want to keep a defense honest you can't just run Imani up the gut every time he's in.

• Fire 2

Nobody is going to call plays perfectly, or call what all the fans want to see. I've said that I think Beck takes more heat than he deserves. Like early in the game yesterday the running game got stuffed quite a bit on first and second down then we would be stuck in 3rd and long yet nobody was saying "Why is he running the ball the passing game is working?". Nobody wanted him to abandon the diamond formation after the INT yesterday but if it would have been a play out of the shotgun we would have heard grumbles. People want to see Cross in the game, but will roast Beck because he tries to call the regular offense with him in there. Some of the arguments just don't add up.

• Fire 2

Continue to wonder why Beck feels like we need a "new" "innovative" game plan on offense every week instead of sticking to what is working. Until someone stops it, why the f#*k do you keep changing it?

Because when it does get stopped what the hell are you going to do? You don't have anything "innovative" to change it up with. I thought Beck called a pretty good game this week, he was clearly trying to establish the run early and did. When they were slowing it down he went to the air, but for whatever reason TA couldn't execute the passing game. The guy is damned if he does and damned if he doesn't. Yes there are times he gets too cute, running Cross wide 3 times in a row against SDSU was stupid, but if you pay attention they're also a method to his madness. If you want to keep a defense honest you can't just run Imani up the gut every time he's in.

I could understand expanding a bit, this is what practice is for during the week. I just feel like he still tries to do a bit too much sometimes. Especially when we have demonstrated some very effective things over the past few weeks. Against more talented competition I would worry about it being stopped and maybe having a back up plan, but I just didn't feel Purdue was the team that would force us to dig into the playbook deeper.

I shouldn't complain too much about it anyways, I have come out in support of Beck a number of times. We did score plenty of points and are averaging a good ppg right now, so I don't mean to sound overly disappointed.

Purdue has had decent interior DLinemen recently. They did pull two kids out of redshirts yesterday at that position.

Again I'll say the offensive inconsistencies were due more to their defense playing a 3-4 for the first time and using stunts and blitzes out of that set that weren't on film. Throw in losing your best lineman and it wasn't going to be the easiest of days.