Do fans really love the high scoring games?

BIG ERN

We hear often times on ESPN, CBS, FOX etc. that the fans love to see more scoring in football, whether that is college or pro. Am I in the minority that hates games when both teams score over 40-50 points? I also don't love watching kickers battle it out for a 9-6 victory, but cannot stand when both teams play absolutely no defense.

The spread has some things to do with it, but the offensive numbers are so inflated from the D not being able to play physical anymore. Being a QB, especially in the NFL, is 10x's easier than it was pre 2000's. You can sit back in that pocket knowing that they can't hit you in the head (or touched there), and also can't go low for the Tom Brady rule.

I truly feel to get rid of the hits that will really 'injure' a player all starts with taking away some of the pads. The more times people get hurt we try and come up with more padding which only makes both defender and offensive player feel more safe to make those hits. I PROMISE you if there was less pads people wouldn't be making the hits that they are. Picture yourself right now fully padded and told to run full speed and hit someone else; now take away those pads and you are sitting in a t shirt and shorts - now go hit that guy full speed. Won't work the same. I even heard Lee Corso talk about taking the face mask away. Prolly should go back to the ol' hard leather helmets and basically play rugby if they want to get rid of all the concussions. - Just noticed I rambled on and got away with what the topic was about. Yes, this is a bye week.

Iw was saying the same thing the other day. Players are scared to make a hit so scoreboards reflect that now. Either make the hit and get penalized or ejected or called a dirty player, OR make an arm tackle and listen to the media/fans say you need benched. Its a lose lose time for defense.

Living in New Zealand, I watch rugby all the time. Never understood it (or liked it) until I got here and learned the game. It is fun to watch when you know what's going on.

That said...no helmets...no pads...no leading with the head, no worries about guys trying to take out knees.

I hate to say it, but the rugby-style of play may be what has to save American football.

• Fire 1

Problem is, when Nebraska goes three and out we never consider it a good defensive stand by the opponent, we consider it a major malfunction by Tim Beck.

And on the other side of the ball the opponent never has a good offensive drive, or game it's all Bo, Pap, and the scheme.

Guilty as charged. Probably because so many teams of such varied talents have been able to cut through that Bo/Pap scheme like a hot knife through butter.

But to the point of this thread...it really was fun watching the Husker defense last week. I would not be happy with our offense scoring less against Purdue, but I will happily take a 17 - 14 win against some of the better teams on the schedule.