One of the 5 Greatest Fanbases

We only had one 5 - 7 season to test the Nebraska bandwagon. And as I recall, a lot of folks jumped off at halftime of the Oklahoma State game.

The classy and knowledgeable rep does seem to follow us around. I'm happy to accept it.

The single person who leaked the Pelini tape shouldn't count against the fanbase. Bo Pelini's appraisal of said fanbase would be more damning. But we're letting that go. Because Nebraska has an incredible fanbase and it's virtually the first thing mentioned in every nationally televised Nebraska game or article.

Which makes it weird that some folks insist Nebraska doesn't get enough respect from the national media. A Husker Nation tendency to whine about an anti-Nebraska bias at ESPN or Sports Illustrated or the AP Poll or Every Commentator Who Calls Our Games counts is a legitimate check mark against us. Though we're probably not unique in that respect.

• Fire 1

Negative points for taping a tirade by coach Bo Pelini and then releasing it nationally two years later.

Well, that is on Bo, not guy who released it. But, that is another story. Has nothing to do with "fan base," selling out the stadium every Saturday is the true measurement. Also, NU fans follow the Huskers extremely well, and at times, have had more red in the opponent's own home stadium than the home team. Think Notre Dame a few years back. Now, that is fan base.

Releasing it immediately is on Bo. Releasing two years after the fact, is on the fan(or whatever the hell else he/her is referred to).

I am not going to argue the point with anyone. We have been over that before. All I am saying is that one fan does not overshadow the efforts of the hundreds of thousands who go to the home games each year and those that make the road trips.

Negative points for taping a tirade by coach Bo Pelini and then releasing it nationally two years later.

Well, that is on Bo, not guy who released it. But, that is another story. Has nothing to do with "fan base," selling out the stadium every Saturday is the true measurement. Also, NU fans follow the Huskers extremely well, and at times, have had more red in the opponent's own home stadium than the home team. Think Notre Dame a few years back. Now, that is fan base.

Releasing it immediately is on Bo. Releasing two years after the fact, is on the fan(or whatever the hell else he/her is referred to).

I am not going to argue the point with anyone. We have been over that before. All I am saying is that one fan does not overshadow the efforts of the hundreds of thousands who go to the home games each year and those that make the road trips.

True. You are correct in that respect.

I think my favorite part here is Nebraska fans simultaneously patting themselves on the back for being classy enough to applaud the opponent, then chiding the opponent for not being as classy as them.

The day the "greatest fans...." Moniker becomes secondary to terms like "Rose bowl team" or "Conference champion" will be a great one indeed. I'm beyond tired of this.

I think my favorite part here is Nebraska fans simultaneously patting themselves on the back for being classy enough to applaud the opponent, then chiding the opponent for not being as classy as them.

The day the "greatest fans...." Moniker becomes secondary to terms like "Rose bowl team" or "Conference champion" will be a great one indeed. I'm beyond tired of this.

We patted ourselves on the back for this sh#t in the 90's too. This has nothing to do with winning or losing. It's who we are. it's what we do.

We're supposed to pretend we don't know that we clap for opponents when they leave the field?

Or we're supposed to be examples of good sportsmanship as if we have no idea that that's what we're doing?

Or, when someone mentions any of this, we're supposed to sit mum and act as if we don't hear it, or don't know what they're talking about?

I'm really not understanding what's wrong here. Who's patting themselves/ourselves on the back? And how is that different from simply acknowledging that this situation occurs?

Hello, friends :)

http://ftw.usatoday....llege-football/

They’ve sold out every game at Memorial Stadium since 1962, which is more than enough to earn Nebraska fans a spot on this list. Then there’s the time in 1980, when Nebraska lost to Florida State at home and serenaded the Seminoles with a round of applause. That led then-FSU coach Bobby Bowden to write, “I have been coaching college football the past 28 years and have played before some great crowds in this country. I have never seen people with more class than I saw at Nebraska last week.” A pretty good fan base. Negative points for taping a tirade by coach Bo Pelini and then releasing it nationally two years later.

the best away-game experience I have ever had as a Nebraska fan was A&M in 2010. Except for the outcome of course.

I think he means, he is tired of hearing about how good of fans we are, he wants to hear they controlled the Rose Bowl, decimated the Tide in the BCS game. I have to agree. Nice to hear, but I like the sound of the latter a lot more.

Why can't we have both? Or, why must we have the Rose Bowl wins, et al, to still be the other?